Road trip to Tan hill Inn today - highest pub in England

Old 07-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default Road trip to Tan hill Inn today - highest pub in England

Well as some of you may know, we have a mini Jag meet for XJ X350/X358 only at the Tan Hill Inn ( highest pub in England ) on the 17th July

Today I left Glasgow and had to visit a customer in Leyburn which isn't too far from the Tan Hill Inn, so I thought I'd drop by and visit, check it out, the roads etc etc
I exited the A66 just after Stainmore iirc and followed Green Lane to the Tan Hill In, it's quite a road, slightly larger than single track with passing places but not by much.

I arrived at the pub and asked to speak to Steve, seemed like a decent guy and we had a chat. I advised him that we'll be bringing around 20 cars, so possibly 20-30 people on the 17th ( it was already booked in ) and had a quick shifty around.

It's obviously an old pub with character as used by a few locals and many hikers / cyclists / bikers etc etc, seemed ok. There was a roaring fire going, the place was packed with hikers / cyclists getting food, having a beer and the craic.

Steve was telling me that "Scouting for girls" would be playing a gig there soon as they had done last year for charity, and the weekend we would be going that the Lambretta Club would be there Friday and Saturday, so we may see more than a few mods there on the day too...

Name:  20160706_120813_zpsdddnd7uf.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  161.4 KB

The car had picked up its fair share of dirt, wear n tear on the way as seen parked in front of the pub, anyway moved on and headed for Leyburn, some decent roads with great views too.

They have their fair share of lumps n bumps and undulations with twists n turns, so more a scenic driving route rather than being able to have a blast anywhere.

I skilfully avoided many sheep / lambs and the odd low flying swallows and the like, but was stopped dead in my tracks, by of all things.....a young family of duck / partridge or similar waddling slowly across the road....lol
The road lead to Reeth and then opened up a little and actually had white lines on it at one point, lol

I was thinking, for those that want to, it may be a plan to have a drive after the meet / greet / craic etc and I thought we could perhaps look at as follows....
Leave the Tan Hill Inn and head in convoy to Reeth and then onto Richmond and final to the A66 at Scotch Corner.

It's only around 27 miles and about an hour. Once at Scotch Corner it's fairly easy for anyone to head North, South, East or West from there.

I guess we can see who may be up for it on the day....

The following users liked this post:
SteveSheldon (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 06:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim , There is a classic car show on at Newby hall Ripon which is south of Reeth and via Leyburn, Middleham and Masham good driving through the dales. There is good access to the A1 at Ripon as well ,just a thought if anyone is interested...Steve