xj6andme

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xj6andme

Hi everyone.
Just got my first jaguar and it's great to drive, but two days ago some lights came on which will not go off when engine started, lights are abs, that engine shape light have I got a bad one ?.
My jaguar is a 2003 xj6 petrol, what do I do now?
I live in Doncaster and I would love some help please,(not about were I live but lights on).
Thanks.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:25 PM
GGG
Received 16,825 Likes on 12,179 Posts

Welcome to the forum xj6andme,

The engine shaped light is the MIL ((Malfunction Indicator Light) a.k.a. CEL (Check Engine Light). To determine the cause you need a scantool to read the DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). The codes will tell you why the light is showing. ABS could be as simple as a partially discharged battery or as bad as a defective module.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
xj6andme (07-23-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 02:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xj6andme

Hi GGG, thanks again for your fast replay to my post.
Can you advice me about which scan tool to buy, or should I take car to jaguar shop.
I have used a scan tool before on my ford c-max so I know how to use one.
I would appreciate any help with my jag. Thanks Geoff.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:07 AM
GGG
Received 16,825 Likes on 12,179 Posts

Geoff,

For the powertrain (Pxxxx) codes, a generic scantool is usually adequate BUT post the actual codes in a thread in X350 for best advice on exactly what they mean. Generic code lookups can be very misleading when it comes to Jaguars!

Graham

Old 07-28-2015, 08:33 AM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Jaguars seem to be very battery-sensitive. If yours has the original battery, then swap that out, as it'll be 12 years old by now.

My 3 years of Jaguar ownership has taught me to ignore the warning lights unless you figure there really is something wrong with the car through your own experience. I frequently get spurious TPMS errors, and recently had "gearbox fault" that was actually "battery fault", and so my car is now on its third battery.

The following users liked this post:
xj6andme (07-28-2015)