US Lower Atlantic NC SC FL GA

Looking for a new motor for my '98 Vanden Plas

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a new motor for my '98 Vanden Plas

Since this is also my first post I'd like to take the time to introduce myself. I live in Alpharetta and have had the pleasure of driving a Vanden Plas '98 jag for the last few months. It has been an absolute joy of a car to drive around. We purchased it from a friend of the family for a very good price of $4,000 (the owner owed us a few favors). The car ran very well for the 12,000 I put on it (9 months). I purchased it with 134k miles and got its oil changed every 3000 miles. Everyone time I took it to the shop the mechanics always admired the upkeep of the engine and said it would last a very long time.

About 2 weeks ago the engine went out on me. While driving it stalled and the power steering went out, luckily I was only going 15mph and was able to pull over safely even though the wheel was very hard to turn. After that the engine wouldn't turn-over and it sat there for a day.

Here is where it gets bad... I went out of town the next day and my father said he'd have the vehicle towed to the shop to be looked at. Apparently a buddy of his told him it just needed oil... My father put 2 quarts into the engine and it turned-over no problem. He then had the brilliant idea of driving it over to the shop even though it was making some horrendous clicking/clanking sounds. Once he pulled up at the shop the guys immediately told him he'd need a new engine. I'm not too good with cars but I believe the camshaft is what went.

I'm not sure if the car was running low on oil or something since the Oil light was never on and it never burned/leaked oil. I also made sure to get the oil changed every 3000 miles.

The car has been sitting in my driveway for a few weeks now and I have been desperately looking for a motor for it. I was quoted ~$1400 for a Vandeplas motor with 120k miles but thought I'd look for something in better shape since that came from a car that had been in a wreck.

I'd like to get some insight on my best options with this car. I'd like to get it back up and running since it's in such good shape cosmetically but I feel it might be too much of a money pit. I've been estimated ~$800 to install in a new motor and ~1400 to buy the motor itself.

Would it be wise to invest $2,200 into this car or should I cut my losses and sell it for what I can and move on?

Old 02-07-2015, 08:23 PM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

This is a very interesting story. I think a lot of the particulars are missing from it. Are you not at all wondering why the car needed oil if it wasn't leaking or burning (using oil). Was the proper amount of oil put in the car at the last oil change? How long did you drive it after the last oil change? Did the shop put enough oil in the car when they changed your oil? Was the car only low two qts. of oil or is that just the amount your fathers buddy put in it? Does the low oil lamp work?

That being said, if the car is in otherwise good condition, I would spend the money.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by gatekeeper
This is a very interesting story. I think a lot of the particulars are missing from it. Are you not at all wondering why the car needed oil if it wasn't leaking or burning (using oil). Was the proper amount of oil put in the car at the last oil change? How long did you drive it after the last oil change? Did the shop put enough oil in the car when they changed your oil? Was the car only low two qts. of oil or is that just the amount your fathers buddy put in it? Does the low oil lamp work?

That being said, if the car is in otherwise good condition, I would spend the money.
The car is in really great condition. As far as the exterior and interior are concerned. I wasn't there when it happened so I don't know the details of the story. I know that he put in 2 quarts fully and the engine was able to turn over and start.

You make a good point about the oil light possibly being out, never crossed me. I did make sure to always get it's oil changed on schedule and have been going to the same place to get the oil done since I first had the car. I suppose at this point it's too late to point fingers at the shop doing a poor oil change or a possible malfunctioning oil light.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:19 AM

If you do decide to do the engine replacement, you want to make sure the light works. Dash bulb, wiring, or oil pressure switch malfunction.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by gatekeeper
If you do decide to do the engine replacement, you want to make sure the light works. Dash bulb, wiring, or oil pressure switch malfunction.
I will. Can you recommend anywhere to continue my search for a motor? I really want to continue driving this car, I really enjoy it.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:00 PM

Thought you had found an engine. You had prices posted.