US Lower Atlantic NC SC FL GA

New Jag owner in Georgia

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 11:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New Jag owner in Georgia

Hey everyone!!

I just bought me a 2002 X-type 2.5 mechanic special out of Atlanta this weekend. It needs some love in a very bad way. I am a mechanic so fixing it doesn't scare me.

First big thing I am going to work on is it has a miss on cylinder #6, Ordered a COP from Rock Auto and I bought new plugs and everything to do a really good tune up and oil change this weekend.

Other things I know I need to address, Needs a headliner, boot open warning light stays on, brake lights stay on unless you pull up on the pedal, boot seal trashed, rear inner door panel is real loose. Something very caustic spilled on the rear seat bottom and ate up the leather, drivers seat doesn't adjust.

The body is real good condition and it has new tires. The whole car inside and out needs a really good detailing. I can't wait to get this car back to the condition it deserves to be in.

I am new to Jaguars so I may have to ask a few questions if I get stumped on something. The search function has really help me learn a lot about these cars already.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:23 AM
Sponsor
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome to the forum Stephen, glad you've already figured out the search function hope you are able to find all the answers you need and good luck with the build!

Old 02-18-2016, 07:19 PM
Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Stephen !
I am in the Atlanta area and I make use of the local salvage yards - Pull-a-Part
and S&W in Lithonia. Coventry West is just around the corner from S&W.
You can go to the Pull-a-Part web site and look at all 3 yards (North, East and South).
They generally have the X-type in all 3 yards.
They also rent golf carts to travel on the yards. $5 for the first hour and prorated after that. Comes in handy when you have some seats to haul.

And definitely welcome to the Wonderful World of Jaguars !

Old 02-18-2016, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 160 Likes on 132 Posts

Ditto! You're in luck, even just by checking the Craigslist listings in Atlanta. Many mint parts from donors there.

Before spending your money, read the threads for your model, especially concerning replacement parts. Lotsa experienced owners that can advise you on what replacements should be OE only, vs. aftermarket.

Last edited by Warspite; 02-18-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys!!!
I can't wait to do the tune up this weekend and get it running good again. I accidentally broke off the fuel door. I stopped to fill it up after I bought it and it was stuck closed. The wife pulled up on the lever and I pulled on the wrong side and off it came. I already found one on eBay and it should arrive today. The COP came in the mail yesterday and I already bought the tune up stuff.

My plan is to go thru the whole car, change all the fluids and fix everything. I am a mechanic and so far nothing seems to be real hard, it will just will be time consuming. The PO seems to have just neglected basic maintenance and cleaning. The plan is to get it running good, exterior and then interior.