US Midwest IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI

Hello - Chicago area new member

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Hello - Chicago area new member

Just a quick hello to the Mid West US members. Just added a Jaguar XF S/C to the garage in the Chicago suburbs. Looking foward to interacting with you all!

Old 01-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Hi Tanman, things are pretty quite here; but hopefully someone more local than I am will post.

The following users liked this post:
Tanman (02-04-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Tanman,

I'm new to the forum myself, but I live in the Chicago burbs down in Plainfield. Great to see someone else on here from the area. I've got the 2011 version of your car

Hopefully the Chicago area Jag owners on this forum can get together some time for a meet & greet.

Tanman (02-04-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by XF Fanboy
Hi Tanman,

I'm new to the forum myself, but I live in the Chicago burbs down in Plainfield. Great to see someone else on here from the area. I've got the 2011 version of your car

Hopefully the Chicago area Jag owners on this forum can get together some time for a meet & greet.

OK Small world. I'm actually in Plainfield too (but how many times do you say that when you're out of town and people just look at you like "huh?")!
Caton Farm & 59 across from Wedge wood Golf Course. Office in Lisle/Naperville on Ogden.

In retrospect, going from my Mercedes S600 with its 500hp+ twin-turbo V12, I wish I had researched more and waited a little longer to pull the trigger in order to find a 2011+ like yours (I didn't realize the engine had been upgraded and could be tuned more than the 4.2L SC). No matter, it seems like a great car and it's been fun to drive (although I'm still getting used to the stiff suspension setup).

Old 02-04-2014, 09:09 AM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm just up the road in Naperville. Maybe a west suburban get together once this insane winter is over

Tanman (02-04-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tanman

OK Small world. I'm actually in Plainfield too (but how many times do you say that when you're out of town and people just look at you like "huh?")!
Caton Farm & 59 across from Wedge wood Golf Course. Office in Lisle/Naperville on Ogden.

In retrospect, going from my Mercedes S600 with its 500hp+ twin-turbo V12, I wish I had researched more and waited a little longer to pull the trigger in order to find a 2011+ like yours (I didn't realize the engine had been upgraded and could be tuned more than the 4.2L SC). No matter, it seems like a great car and it's been fun to drive (although I'm still getting used to the stiff suspension setup).
I know that feeling all too well. I get the "huh?!" reaction even when I tell this to people who live IN the Chicago area. That's cool though, I was certain that I was alone out here in Plainfield. I'm actually fairly close to the Naperville/Plainfield border right off 59 and Route 30 (by the Meijer). Office is in Downers Grove off Finley/Butterfield.

Ha, it's not often that you can say you "downgraded" to a 4.2L V8 putting out 420 hp. I definitely UPgraded from a 2010 Mitsubishi Evo X. It was fun to drive, and way better in the snow, but the engine was only about half the size So far, I've only added a smaller SC pulley + ECU tune and a few cosmetic upgrades. It pulls a lot harder now and looks younger, but I'm looking for more ways to squeeze every ounce of potential out of this awesome engine.

As gwagner said, we should all keep in touch and put something on the calendar once this winter from hell (ha) is finally over.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Interesting story re. your comment on small world/where are you from......
Last year we were out on a huge absolutely desolate wild Pacific Ocean beach north of Cabo and south of Todos Santos on the Baja peninsula. As we are walking back to the car we meet a family walking toward the beach.......from Naperville! about 5 blocks from me.

Tanman (02-13-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 07:33 PM

Lol. GWagner, I was just down in Grand Cayman in December and ran into a couple that was from Naperville and an in-law of an old office partner. I'm up at the fry's store by your office constantly.

XF fanboy, where did you get your pulley and ecu done? Was it local? I'm familiar with some Benz shops but not any jaguar shops. I definitely need more power, especially after being spanked hard by a cls63 on I88 today (made me sick). I don't think I can get much more than 50-60 hp more with a pulley and tune on the 4.2 from what I've researched, but that still puts me closer to 470hp. I think I'd be better with that, especially given the lighter weight of the XF. I have figured out that I need to keep the rpm high to stay in the power. I love the sound of the exhaust. The only question is whether to wait until January 2015 when the cpo warranty expires.

I'm thinking the xj super sport will be the next vehicle...lol.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tanman
Lol. GWagner, I was just down in Grand Cayman in December and ran into a couple that was from Naperville and an in-law of an old office partner. I'm up at the fry's store by your office constantly.

XF fanboy, where did you get your pulley and ecu done? Was it local? I'm familiar with some Benz shops but not any jaguar shops. I definitely need more power, especially after being spanked hard by a cls63 on I88 today (made me sick). I don't think I can get much more than 50-60 hp more with a pulley and tune on the 4.2 from what I've researched, but that still puts me closer to 470hp. I think I'd be better with that, especially given the lighter weight of the XF. I have figured out that I need to keep the rpm high to stay in the power. I love the sound of the exhaust. The only question is whether to wait until January 2015 when the cpo warranty expires.

I'm thinking the xj super sport will be the next vehicle...lol.
I drive by Fry's every day on my way back to the office from lunch. Hopefully I'll see you tearing through the area one of these days. The only other Jaguar I've seen nearby was being driven by a very elderly gentleman going half the speed limit (20 mph) down Finley. While it was great to finally have another Jag sighting, a little piece of me died inside because he was driving a 2012 XF SC. You might not notice me until the spring though, since I'm currently commuting in my Volvo winter beater until the snow disappears.

I ordered the pulley and an at-home ECU tuning kit from the ECU Tuning Group out in CA. The tuning part was simple enough to figure out on my own, but I had the pulley installed at Corwell Customs in Naperville. Ryan [Corwell] over there is a miracle worker. I don't think he does ECU tuning, but outside of that I firmly believe there isn't anything that he CAN'T do. He specializes in bimmers and custom fabrication, but he will take on any project big or small, including regular maintenance and general repairs. I had him install the pulley, a new front grille, and some interior upgrades and I couldn't be happier with the results or how quickly he was able to do it all. You can send a message to Corwell Customs Inc. on Facebook, or I can give you his phone# if you'd prefer to call. Just mention that Kevin (me) with the Jag referred you and he will take care of all your vehicular needs.

If I could do it all over again though, I would've ordered the pulley from Mina Gallery instead (Jaguar XF Performance Supercharger Pulley for Jaguar NEW XKR) - much cheaper and seems to get the job done just fine.

There's no shame in a loss to a CLS63, obviously it's no slouch! Just remember that the owner paid about double what we paid for our cars, lol. I completely understand though, getting spanked is still getting spanked no matter how you try to spin it. But I know for a fact that with the right upgrades, we'd be able to at least keep up with a car of that caliber.

2015 seems like a long time to wait......

Last edited by XF Fanboy; 02-09-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Tanman (02-13-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by XF Fanboy
If I could do it all over again though, I would've ordered the pulley from Mina Gallery instead (Jaguar XF Performance Supercharger Pulley for Jaguar NEW XKR) - much cheaper and seems to get the job done just fine.
I don't think the link I pasted is correct. If you're thinking about ordering from Mina Gallery, I would do it over the phone just to be sure.

Tanman (02-13-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

Welcome and enjoy the board

Tanman (02-13-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Tanman, Lot of great info here. In West Chicago suburbs myself. Love seeing Jags on the road! Yours makes one more! Welcome to the forum!

Tanman (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 10:40 AM

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to perhaps meeting up at an event or something in the (warmer) future. I must say I've started to notice other Jaguars in the area and noticed more of a culture and relative friendliness between owners if you run into one in a parking lot or on the road.

ptaboy (03-09-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Northwest Suburbs

Hey guys, my name is Chris. I'm new to the forum, new to Jags and live in Arlington Heights. I did a horrible thing. I bought my car the first week of November and promptly put it in storage

ptaboy (03-09-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 12:15 PM

Welcome aboard! I can't wait for the roads to clear and dry off here! Fortunately I've got the GL for the really bad days, but to be honest, the XF (and Conti Extreme DWS tires) has really surprised me with how well it goes in the snow. My prior, an S600 was completely worthless even with winter tires.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:58 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey guys, I live in Elmhurst, but work at 53 and Maple in Lisle. I bought a XJ8 this week, and work in a liquor store.

Somebody figure out when we are getting together!

ptaboy (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Good repair garage Plainfield area

Hi gang - I live in Shorewood (Huh?) a suburb of Joliet (don't let the village hear me say that! Anyway, I bought my 2000 XKR a few years ago and promptly dropped $#K+ into it on new tensioners and everything that was accessible while the front of the engine was apart, plus an oil leak from the trans. The garage, tho a several hundred higher than the estimate on the final bill, did good work - on 191st by Tinley Park, a Jag/Mercedes specialty called World (?). But since then I happened on a garage on Rt 30 in Joliet called Specialty Auto Repair (?), recommended by the dealer I bought the car from and also a Shorewood lube and repair facility - these guys know their stuff and are really fair and inexpensive - just bring a 12-pack of Tecate and a couple of limes along to sweeten the deal. I've been in a few times for warning light/code reads that were false alarms - no charge or 1/2 hr at most - @$65/hr (last year). The boss had a Jag and they know all about them. No relation, other than business.

I've had the Red Cat out on dry roads, but besides the salty melt-off now the potholes dampen my enthusiasm. Besides, I'm a wuss about top-down temps. Hope to meet you fellows, maybe cruise night in P-field?

Attached Thumbnails Hello - Chicago area new member-rc-wires-3.jpg   Hello - Chicago area new member-mg-td-017.jpg  
Old 04-30-2014, 08:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello people, Plainfield here also. I bought a 1986 XJS last month and I am waiting for winter to get the #@$* out of here. I hope there is an XJS owner down here who can offer some information on this model.