US Northeast ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

Why so difficult to get a test drive....

Old 04-03-2017, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why so difficult to get a test drive....

Hi all, new member here. I'm currently shopping for an XE and finding it very unpleasant. Just wondering if all dealers are like my local dealer or is my dealer sub par.
My problem is they are reluctant to prep the car I'm interested in and keep trying to have me test drive something that's not at all representative of what I want. Basically I'm interested in a 4 cylinder gas XE premium package. But they only have diesels and 6 cylinders to test drives. I checked their inventory and they have exactly what I'm looking for on the lot, but won't offer it for a test.

At this point I'm thinking of driving 90 minutes east to another dealer. But if my experience is typical of Jag dealers, I may just get the BMW 3 series.

John

Old 04-04-2017, 11:52 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That's interesting. The salesman I dealt with had me try as many XE's as I wanted until I found the one I ended up leaving with. I've seen a lot of diesels coming in and the 25t doesn't seem to be one of the models dealers are ordering a ton of. Maybe they want to keep the miles down on the few that they have? Then again, I bought mine with 200 miles on the Odo...

Old 04-04-2017, 01:50 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Babyjag's experience says the story.
The styles, the education, the accuracy, and the attitudes of the US dealerships are something we owners do gripe about from time to time, because they are ALL OVER THE CHART when you try to compare them.
I had two NY dealerships to try. Each was poor, but in different ways from the other. If I wasn't focused and determined to fully check this XE out, I would have gone to a Volvo S60. (Nowhere near the same comparison engine-wise, but the interior and reputation of the S60, and a superb sales team, almost won me away from the dingy Jaguar salesman style).

My advice would be IGNORE the salesman entirely. Dig through the MAIN Jaguar customer service website, and dig through our forums too, ask Jaguar all your questions (not the dealership). And use the dealer just the way you'd use a screwdriver or toaster: Visit it in short hops, to get a quick small job done. 15 minute test drive, talk about financing, small stuff only.

I think this year, Jaguar dealerships have become a little cocky that they will make sales easily, after last year's great sales reports.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by john222
Hi all, new member here. I'm currently shopping for an XE and finding it very unpleasant. Just wondering if all dealers are like my local dealer or is my dealer sub par.
My problem is they are reluctant to prep the car I'm interested in and keep trying to have me test drive something that's not at all representative of what I want. Basically I'm interested in a 4 cylinder gas XE premium package. But they only have diesels and 6 cylinders to test drives. I checked their inventory and they have exactly what I'm looking for on the lot, but won't offer it for a test.

At this point I'm thinking of driving 90 minutes east to another dealer. But if my experience is typical of Jag dealers, I may just get the BMW 3 series.

John
Not sure where you are in central PA but you might want to check with the JLR dealer in Timonium MD just 20 miles down I-83 from the PA line. They have been great and had a fair number of XEs. Ask for Paul.