2015 Fall Leavenworth Tour!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

WooHoo! Come on 26th!

Old 09-12-2015, 01:45 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

This will be a great time to get involved if you are wanting to try out a drive and haven't been on one before. You couldn't ask for a more welcoming and fun group. So far we have

Clevername
Swimref +2
Marko (+1?)
MarcB + 1
Rahtok +1
XJDanny
Bertbo
JagCpl
Italia 227 (no pressure!)
Gabe from Jaguar +1
Another guy and his wife
Maybe another guy
and Muddydog - yeah, I'm going to go. Can't miss this!

Everybody bring your radios if you have them, as there will likely be several first-timers who will need to borrow one.

The following users liked this post:
XJDanny (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 01:55 PM

Now let's talk about planning. I would like to propose an alternate route, meeting in Issaquah and tackling Denny Campground as a morning attraction, followed by a bathroom and coffee break in Roslyn where we can see the old Northern Exposure mural. Then off to Blewett Pass if it's open, and finally lunch in Leavenworth.

Coming down-hill on Hwy 2 from Leavenworth gives you some beautiful vistas that you totally miss when you're driving up-hill. If the leaves are changing it will be spectacular. We can do the Chumstick hwy and the Iron Goat Trail on the way home, and we can stop in Gold Bar for dinner.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Muddydog; 09-12-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We will be coming from the tri cites area and will meet you all in Leavenworth

Old 09-12-2015, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
Now let's talk about planning. I would like to propose an alternate route, meeting in Issaquah and tackling Denny Campground as a morning attraction, followed by a bathroom and coffee break in Roslyn where we can see the old Northern Exposure mural. Then off to Blewett Pass if it's open, and finally lunch in Leavenworth.

Coming down-hill on Hwy 2 from Leavenworth gives you some beautiful vistas that you totally miss when you're driving up-hill. If the leaves are changing it will be spectacular. We can do the Chumstick hwy and the Iron Goat Trail on the way home, and we can stop in Gold Bar for dinner.

Any thoughts?
This sounds pretty good to me... Just to mix it up a tad. Couple areas that may be of concern:
1.) Parking in Roslyn, (as I recall, last time we stopped with something like 3 cars,we had difficulty finding parking), and the Roslyn cafe was actually very small (in my memory) and could not deal with a group our size...
2.) I'd love to visit Old Blewett, but I worry that its days may be now beyond the reach of our fine machines.... If someone could pre-drive it, and report its condition, I'd feel better about leading our cats up that trail.

Chumstick: I'm good with it, but it does let us miss some of the beautiful Wenatchee River views. The 26th is however "Free State Parks day", so like last time we could visit Lake Wenatchee State Park, which was quite beautiful in its own right. (If we were to follow the river, the lake is still only 6 minutes out of our way.....)

I would still love to hop on Ben Howard Road from Sultan to Monroe. It would make a very pretty finish to the drive....

JagCpl, looking forward to meeting you!

Old 09-13-2015, 02:04 AM
Default 2015 Fall Leavenworth Tour!

Originally Posted by CleverName
This sounds pretty good to me... Just to mix it up a tad. Couple areas that may be of concern:
1.) Parking in Roslyn, (as I recall, last time we stopped with something like 3 cars,we had difficulty finding parking), and the Roslyn cafe was actually very small (in my memory) and could not deal with a group our size...
2.) I'd love to visit Old Blewett, but I worry that its days may be now beyond the reach of our fine machines.... If someone could pre-drive it, and report its condition, I'd feel better about leading our cats up that trail.

Chumstick: I'm good with it, but it does let us miss some of the beautiful Wenatchee River views. The 26th is however "Free State Parks day", so like last time we could visit Lake Wenatchee State Park, which was quite beautiful in its own right. (If we were to follow the river, the lake is still only 6 minutes out of our way.....)

I would still love to hop on Ben Howard Road from Sultan to Monroe. It would make a very pretty finish to the drive....

JagCpl, looking forward to meeting you!
Well we can ditch Roslyn, I forgot we went there already. There's bound to be coffee in Cle Elum. And maybe we shouldn't do Chumstick if we'd miss the sweeping views coming off the pass.

Is Blewett not maintained at all now? Ben Howard sounds nice.

If we would be better off going clockwise just say so. I'm fine either way, but I thought it would be nice to change it up.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm bringing a passenger.

Any route is fine with me though Monroe sounded good since I live so close. But the sooner we decide the better if we change the meet-up place from Monroe. I'd like to let the Jag club know in advance so they can send an email out to their members with a revised route. They may not check the forum and could show up at the wrong place. (Sorry if I added an additional complication. I just wanted to get as many Jags together as possible.)

Old 09-13-2015, 10:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I prefer Monroe meeting place

Hi, Guys and Gals,
I'll be bringing 1 other also.
Living on Whidbey Is., I prefer Monroe meeting place. I don't think my Jags will start as early in the morning as they would have to for a 0900 muster in Issaquah :>) Also, I've been over the I90 pass 4 times this summer.(2 trips) Can't seem to stay still. Blewett should be pretty also. Maybe hit it on the way back?
Are the radios you are talking about the walkies that are VHF with multi channels and sub channels?? I have one of those. What would be the channel and sub?
Thanx

Old 09-13-2015, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
Well we can ditch Roslyn, I forgot we went there already. There's bound to be coffee in Cle Elum. And maybe we shouldn't do Chumstick if we'd miss the sweeping views coming off the pass.

Is Blewett not maintained at all now? Ben Howard sounds nice.

If we would be better off going clockwise just say so. I'm fine either way, but I thought it would be nice to change it up.
I kinda think we should stay with a working formula on our one premier event. With 3 years to fine tune what does and does not work, we have a pretty good feel for timing, worthy stops, and routes.

As for the Chumstick vs Hwy2 riverside drive, I see good to both choices.
Chumstick has several spots that let the animals in the group open up their cats and stretch their legs, along with a few tight twisties for added smiles.
Hwy2 is slower (traffic) and a more vista oriented. We stopped at Tumwater Dam once, which although interesting and ample roadside parking, failed to let you actually take in the clarity of the river as it ran through rapids. Maybe find a wide roadside pull-off and work to get all cars to fit? I saw one or two on google earth that looked worthy and adequate in size.

For a chang-up/fine-tune, I would like to see us bypass Nasen Creek Rest Area and head directly to Lake Wenatchee State Park (10 Minutes further down the road.) Then as a group decide Chumstick or do a quick double back for the river route.

Old Blewett is now a forest service road and maintained accordingly (ie very little if any) . Fortunately there is a home near the summit so it is not totally abandoned. The motorcyclists like to run the road and have taken time to mark many of the potholes and dips with spray paint to ease navigation. The road is known for sluffing off the hillside and the occasional half blockage from minor rock slides. I have also seen times where the brush encroaches enough to force you to drive on the center line. I know these get cleared but not sure by who or how often.
One year the north entrance it was closed as they used it to park fire equipment. The long-short of it is the road really should be looked at before committing to it. It certainly is a neat and interesting drive if it is open.

Bertbo - Yes I think you have the right radios They are the common FRS units sold everywhere, and we run channel 4 sub 0 or alternate 7 sub 0.

Just doing a lot of thinking out loud here folks, as long as I am in my car and with a fine group of Jag owners, the route itself is secondary to me.

Lets not forget to remind anyone new, that we have seen rain, sun (and yes, even snow) on this event, and we all still have a great time! Just come prepared!

Old 09-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Hi Jay and all,
Swimref is actually a plus one, it's just Karen and me now. I don't care which way we run the circuit, but would like to suggest a quick side trip on old Stevens Pass Highway to Wellington, site of the largest railroad disaster and avalanche disaster in US history. Wellington is also the western terminus of the old Stevens Pass Great Northern Railroad tunnel, in use from about 1900 to 1929 when the present longer tunnel was opened at a lower elevation. Wellington has toilet facilities and parking officially requires a pass like all Forest Service sites, although a quick stop would probably get away without them as we sometimes have before.

Kevin

Old 09-14-2015, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Swimref
Hi Jay and all,
Swimref is actually a plus one, it's just Karen and me now. I don't care which way we run the circuit, but would like to suggest a quick side trip on old Stevens Pass Highway to Wellington, site of the largest railroad disaster and avalanche disaster in US history. Wellington is also the western terminus of the old Stevens Pass Great Northern Railroad tunnel, in use from about 1900 to 1929 when the present longer tunnel was opened at a lower elevation. Wellington has toilet facilities and parking officially requires a pass like all Forest Service sites, although a quick stop would probably get away without them as we sometimes have before.

Kevin
Kev,
Unless things have changed in the last 4 years, I tried to drive that road and was forced to turn back as the start was all gravel, and potholes so large that you could not dodge and weave through them. I got maybe a mile before deciding to turn around. (And you know goat trails don't scare me easily!) But on my attempt, I needed a car I cared less about, and perhaps a tad more ground clearance than i had in my XK. Now that I have my AWD Galant running, I want to go check it out some day!

V

Old 09-15-2015, 12:28 AM

Fair enough. It looks like the consensus is a clockwise drive starting at Monroe around 9:00 AM. I will work on a handout with a detailed breakdown of stops, mile markers and expected arrival times. I'll try and have that out by next weekend, one week before we leave.

The decals arrived, and we will have the JF banner again for anyone who hasn't signed it yet.

XJDanny (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member

Any word from our brethren from the north? Would really miss not having Growler and AVT along... (didnt we have another offer to drop south of the border for our next Leavenworth run as well?)

V

Old 09-15-2015, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by CleverName
Kev,
Unless things have changed in the last 4 years, I tried to drive that road and was forced to turn back as the start was all gravel, and potholes so large that you could not dodge and weave through them. I got maybe a mile before deciding to turn around. (And you know goat trails don't scare me easily!) But on my attempt, I needed a car I cared less about, and perhaps a tad more ground clearance than i had in my XK. Now that I have my AWD Galant running, I want to go check it out some day!

V
Vince,

You must have tried it from the west side. That road is officially closed due to the missing Tye River bridge, and certainly not a place for Jaguars except maybe the new F-Pace AWD crossover coming out soon. There is however a perfectly good paved section of the old highway from the summit 2 or 3 miles west to Wellington, with bathrooms, parking, trailheads, and informative signage. As you know, I don't care to take my XF even a few feet off pavement.

Kevin

Old 09-15-2015, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Vince,

You must have tried it from the west side. That road is officially closed due to the missing Tye River bridge, and certainly not a place for Jaguars except maybe the new F-Pace AWD crossover coming out soon. There is however a perfectly good paved section of the old highway from the summit 2 or 3 miles west to Wellington, with bathrooms, parking, trailheads, and informative signage. As you know, I don't care to take my XF even a few feet off pavement.

Kevin
OK, so something has changed since my try... I took the summit entrance and turned around...

I would still like to visit the site someday.

V

Old 09-19-2015, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member

The week is now rapidly approaching!

We have a good start for the drive, with new cars and faces to make the gathering an even greater success that those prior!

For any who are sitting on the fence, please do take the time Saturday the 26th to join us! Some may feel intimidated that a less than perfect Jag will not be welcome, and that cannot be more further from the truth. It is the people that truly make this event. And your decision to drive a unique and wonderful marque reflects a common side of our personality that always ends with smiles, laughter, camaraderie, and a great time...

Let's make this annual event grow to something we and Leavenworth will remember each year!
The decision is really not that hard! Join in for a great day with good cars and good people rain or shine! (It hurts to see posts after the event from those who could have gone only to regret not doing so.)
If you have the time, or can make the time, please join us! Great memories await!

See you all in Monroe! Morning donuts (and maple bars) are in me!

Vince

XJDanny (09-19-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts

So far I've heard there is one member from the Jag club joining us.

This is going to be so much fun. Just one week to go. Can't wait!!

Old 09-21-2015, 10:32 PM
Default Driver Handout

Alright friends! It's soon to be go-time. Attached to this post is the OFFICIAL Fourth Annual Leavenworth Drive handout! I've also included driving directions for those more inclined to lead than to follow.

Please browse the handout to know your responsibilities. Please come with a full tank or come early to fill up. We want to start our driver's meeting at 9:00 AM for a prompt 9:15 departure. I'll try and make it by 8:15, and the earlier you come, the earlier the party starts!

We will be cruising in to Leavenworth around 12:30, and they will be breaking down the parade so there may be some delay once we get into town. Possibly we may lengthen one of the stops earlier in the day to delay our arrival slightly and let them clear out.

If you decide to get gas in Cle Elum, you will need to break from the pack and fill up, meeting back up with us at the Dairy Queen parking lot. We want to minimize down time at this rather mundane attraction, while still getting a bathroom and fuel break.

We will stop in North Bend on the way home to grab a drink and pat each other on the backs with celebratory gusto. Those that wish to stay on and get a bite may do so, others will need to pull on out and get back home.

You'll notice that we've consolidated some of the stops to allow for a more relaxed break time, while highlighting the beautiful drives in between. This will be a great time for all.

Thanks, Vince, for all your help.

Attached Files

Last edited by Muddydog; 09-21-2015 at 10:35 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Muddydog:
CleverName (09-21-2015), MarcB (09-22-2015), XJDanny (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 06:14 PM

If we are looking for a quick stop to kill a few minutes, I hope we can consider the upper Iron Goat trailheads at Wellington. It is a good paved road with the following details from the Forest Service:

Directions:
Drive US Highway 2 to milepost 64.4, just west of Stevens Pass, and turn north on the Old Stevens Pass Highway. If you traveling eastbound, because of limited sight distance you should proceed east to Stevens Pass, turn around at the crest of the hill where visibility is optimal, and return to Milepost 64.4. Continue on Old Stevens Pass Highway for 2.8 mi. until you reach the junction with FS Road #050 and turn right. This will take you to the parking lot and trailhead.

General Notes:
The trailhead offers accessible restroom facilities, informational kiosks, and sign in boards.

Kevin

Old 09-23-2015, 01:27 AM
Default 2015 Fall Leavenworth Tour!

If we are looking for a quick stop to kill a few minutes, I hope we can consider the upper Iron Goat trailheads at Wellington. It is a good paved road with the following details from the Forest Service:

Directions:
Drive US Highway 2 to milepost 64.4, just west of Stevens Pass, and turn north on the Old Stevens Pass Highway. If you traveling eastbound, because of limited sight distance you should proceed east to Stevens Pass, turn around at the crest of the hill where visibility is optimal, and return to Milepost 64.4. Continue on Old Stevens Pass Highway for 2.8 mi. until you reach the junction with FS Road #050 and turn right. This will take you to the parking lot and trailhead.

General Notes:
The trailhead offers accessible restroom facilities, informational kiosks, and sign in boards.

Kevin
Is that the Wellington road you and Vince were discussing a few posts back? I'm sorry but I forgot to look it up to see what you guys were talking about.

Quick Reply: 2015 Fall Leavenworth Tour!