US Northwest Washington/Oregon/Idaho & SW Canadians

Feb Meet and Drives

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts
Default Feb Meet and Drives

So Growler05 is taking a leisurely drive south of the Canadian border the weekend of the 2nd and 3rd. Weather looks to be improving (if you can trust our forecasts 5 days out) and it should be a good few days to get out and enjoy our roads. Those of you in the northern part of the state might want to talk to growler about getting together for a few scenic roads!

Anyone else like growler05 getting the itch to meet and drive in Feb?

I would like to propose an easy run to Pt Townsend/Fort Worden. It is short, simple and a way to break the ice in prep for the spring/summer season.
Two possible dates, Saturday the 9th or Sunday the 17th work for me.

Folks from the East side of the sound could meet in Lynnwood (I would ask someone to coordinate that side), and cross the Edmonds boat, where I would join you in Kingston. Folks from the South end could cross the Narrows bridge, meet up with me at Gig Harbor or Port Orchard and we would caravan to Kingston, (maybe stopping for a moment to take in a few closeup views of the carriers in port here?).

Destinations would include quaint and colorful Port Gamble, nice back roads through Port Ludlow, and on through Port Hadlock. Pick a stop in Port Townsend for a lunch break before or after a short visit to Fort Worden (State park pass required). Return route would travel west to follow the shores of Discovery bay back down to 101. Once on 101 it is a simple 45 minute shot back to the Kingston boat, or 60 minutes to the bridge. The more adventurous South sound folks could take 101 to Olympia, which is a nice drive as well.

We are still talking Feb. so weather may very well be wet.
I'm in... Anyone else?

Vince

The following 3 users liked this post by CleverName:
Jagnutt69 (02-15-2013), JimC64 (02-05-2013), Norri (02-07-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 01:26 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

I think I'd like to wait for some nicer weather, but I'm keeping an eye on this section for the spring. I think some of these drives sound like a lot of fun. Thanks for being so proactive and enthusiastic in organizing this stuff!!!

Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
I think I'd like to wait for some nicer weather, but I'm keeping an eye on this section for the spring. I think some of these drives sound like a lot of fun. Thanks for being so proactive and enthusiastic in organizing this stuff!!!
Totally understand. I think Feb is more for diehard Washatonians with cabin feaver like myself.
On the up side, Pt Townsend resides in the Olympic rain shadow, getting only 19 inches per year, unlike Seattles 35! Sometimes luck favors the foolish, so we could see dry asphalt!...........

........or not....

Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 PM

I was just in PA weekend before last, rented a little cabin on the beach and the weather was great! But since we took the dogs I drove the SUV. Haven't had the courage to let the dogs ride in the Jag yet But the drives are gorgeous. I love the hood canal bridge.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

Well..... not feelin the Jag owners love yet, but that's ok, the year is still very early.

If you haven't been following the other thread (2013 Drives), here is a February breakdown from my point of view.

Saturday the 16th:
This is the first "Exotics at Redmond Town Center" for 2013. As the event is very weather dependent, I will attend only if they (The E@RTC web site) have given the event a green light AND no rain in is forecast.
I encourage any and all to join me that day. Departure from that may be the LeMay Museum (I'm hosting an out of town guest). Food for thought...

Sunday the 17th:
My only real open date in Feb, and that is Sunday the 17th. (The 9th has been taken away due to family medical issues).

I proposed a drive to Port Townsend via mostly back roads. The loop is a very simple 2.5 hour drive, less stops, from Kingston and back. Participants coming up from Tacoma via the bridge get to add two hours to that (round trip).

At present I have not heard any "I'm in" except for myself. I will hold to that promise until Saturday afternoon. If no takers speak up, then I will consider my obligation for Sunday null and void. (I will go for a drive, but maybe further than P.T. at that point.)

I look forward to meeting each and every one of you this summer, and offer this attempt as a start. PM me, or post here if you are interested in taking in some of our great Pacific Northwest back-roads on an early Sunday afternoon. If you are a "fare weather driver only", you are welcome to speak up with a weather proviso.

Vince
(hey, if your a burger fan, I see Fat Smittys on my route! (Google it))

Last edited by CleverName; 02-05-2013 at 08:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 01:42 AM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Groundhog Weekend Drive - N W Washington Lowlands

Well, It was a fabulous drive. Saturday was warm and sunny and Sunday, even though overcast, Whidbey Island was great.
I crossed the border at Aldervrove and headed S on 539 and then east on 546 at Lynden towards Sumas and took the 547 through Peacefull Valley Rd to Kendall.
I gathered some local info and due to the fine day I decided to take a chance and headed up the Mt Baker Hwy 542. Amazing scenic drive. Bright sunshine, warm temps and clear roads all the way to the top. A bit like a bobsled run in places but clear roads and really fun to drive.
Returned to Kendall, went south down Hwy 542 and joined Hwy 9 south of Deming. Acme Diner in Acme has a great menu and good coffee.
Went south on Hwy 9 through Sedro Wolley and after crossing the Skagit river, went east on the South Skagit Hwy to Concrete. The sun shining on the moss on the maple trees along the river was magical. Then drove east on Route 20 from Concrete to the intersection of Hwy 530 and headed South to Darrington. Great driving road.
Was planning on doing the Mountain Loop but after asking around, found it was closed.
Headed west on 530 and turned south on Jordan Rd towards Granite Falls just before Arlington.
From Granite Falls took Menzel Lake Rd and Wood Creek Rd into Monroe where I stayed for the night.
I would highly reccomend this route. very scenic and great driving roads and best of all, very little traffic.
Lots of cool view points all along the way.
Sunday, drizzle in Monroe.
Headed for the Mukilteo Ferry. On the way visited the Museum of flight in Everett. WOW! great stop. Had a guided tour, 1 on 1 by a very knowledgable volunteer. Well worth the time.
Took the ferry to Clinton. Time for lunch so took the Bob Galbraith road into Langley. Found a great place for lunch. Quaint little artsy town. Wonderful architecture.
Left via the Langley Loop and headed kinda north on 525.
Turned south on Double Bluff Rd and went down to the beach on Usless Bay. Hung out, finished my coffee, looked round and set off north along Mutiny Bay Rd, Smugglers Cove Rd and N Bluff Rd until it hit 525 again.
Turned on Wannamaker Rd and took State 20 to Coupeville. Drove Madronna Way, cut back and took W Beach Rd, Ault Field Rd and back to State 20 and on to Deception Pass.
Stopped for a while at the bridge. Cruised around, took it all in and as it had just started to rain lightly, I made tracks N.
Turned N off Memorial Hwy on Bayview Eddison Rd and hugged the coast all the way to Chuckanut Drive. Tweets in Edison have good coffee and deserts. Mmmmmmmm!
Drove Chuckanut Dr to Bellingham and headed back to the Border.
Great trip. No freeways, not much traffic, met some good people and saw some wonderful sights. I would recommend this route to anyone.
I covered around 600 miles by the time I returned home, averaged 27 miles to the gallon and the Cat purrrrred all the way.
For February the weather was great. 50deg +, brilliant sunshine, high overcast and very little rain.
Awesome.............It would be a great drive in the fall!

See you on the road

Allan

Groundhog Day Drive Pix - https://plus.google.com/photos/10920...25133347394609

Last edited by growler05; 02-05-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Added Link For Pix.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 PM

Hung out, finished my coffee, looked round...
Nice. Sounds like a perfect moment!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Smile Drive Pix

Originally Posted by Muddydog
Nice. Sounds like a perfect moment!
There were many!

Here is the link to some pix.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10920...25133347394609

The following 2 users liked this post by growler05:
CleverName (02-05-2013), JimC64 (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
Well..... not feelin the Jag owners love yet, but that's ok, the year is still very early.

If you haven't been following the other thread (2013 Drives), here is a February breakdown from my point of view.

Saturday the 16th:
This is the first "Exotics at Redmond Town Center" for 2013. As the event is very weather dependent, I will attend only if they (The E@RTC web site) have given the event a green light AND no rain in is forecast.
I encourage any and all to join me that day. Departure from that may be the LeMay Museum (I'm hosting an out of town guest). Food for thought...

Sunday the 17th:
My only real open date open in Feb, and that is Sunday the 17th. (The 9th has been taken away due to family medical issues).

I proposed a drive to Port Townsend via mostly back roads. The loop is a very simple 2.5 hour drive, less stops, from Kingston and back. Participants coming up from Tacoma via the bridge get to add two hours to that (round trip).

At present I have not heard any "I'm in" except for myself. I will hold to that promise until Saturday afternoon. If no takers speak up, then I will consider my obligation for Sunday null and void. (I will go for a drive, but maybe further than P.T. at that point.)

I look forward to meeting each and every one of you this summer, and offer this attempt as a start. PM me, or post here if you are interested in taking in some of our great Pacific Northwest back-roads on an early Sunday afternoon. If you are a "fare weather driver only", you are welcome to speak up with a weather proviso.

Vince
(hey, if your a burger fan, I see Fat Smittys on my route! (Google it))

A HUGE Thank you to Vince for being sooo proactive in this section with regard to info / meets etc.

Vince you're doing a great job buddy and we all appreciate it.....Thank you!

Originally Posted by growler05
There were many!

Growler05 - Those pics looks abolutely AWESOME thanks very much for sharing.........The only thing missing is a handful of Jags witht heir owners huddled together for a group pic.......maybe next time?

The following users liked this post:
growler05 (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member

There were many!

Dang! That looks like one heck of an adventure!
Thanks for sharing such great Pics from your drive!

<-I'm officially jealous and will go nuzzle up to my car now>

Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 PM

Dang! That looks like one heck of an adventure!
Thanks for sharing such great Pics from your drive!

<-I'm officially jealous and will go nuzzle up to my car now>
It truly was magical at times.
Stayed off the main roads as much as posible so the traffic was minimal really.
Met some fine folks along the way and saw some great sights.
Looking forward to heading down again soon for another drive. The plans are in the works already.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64

A HUGE Thank you to Vince for being sooo proactive in this section with regard to info / meets etc.

Vince you're doing a great job buddy and we all appreciate it.....Thank you!

Growler05 - Those pics looks abolutely AWESOME thanks very much for sharing.........The only thing missing is a handfull of Jags witht heir owners huddled together for a group pic.......maybe next time?
Thanks Jim. We'll work on it!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

On the way visited the Museum of flight in Everett. WOW! great stop. Had a guided tour, 1 on 1 by a very knowledgable volunteer. Well worth the time.
Very few know of the MoF restoration facility at Paine Field, glad you found it. It is an annual stop for my son and I as we track the progress on the 4C Comet restoration.
Paine Field actually hosts 2 museums, 2 restoration facilities and the Boeing store and tours.

Paul Allan's Flying Heritage Collection
Historic Flight Foundation
Future of Flight Boeing facility
ME 262 restorations
MoF Restoration facility

Needless to say just touring that area is almost a full day event if you are into aircraft!

The actual Museum of Flight is in South Seattle. It is one of the best west coast aviation museums (IMHO), and now that we have the exclusive LeMay Automotive museum in Tacoma, you will need to find the time to come visit them both!

I do love aircraft!

Vince

Old 02-06-2013, 09:18 PM

Very few know of the MoF restoration facility at Paine Field, glad you found it. It is an annual stop for my son and I as we track the progress on the 4C Comet restoration.
Paine Field actually hosts 2 museums, 2 restoration facilities and the Boeing store and tours.

Paul Allan's Flying Heritage Collection
Historic Flight Foundation
Future of Flight Boeing facility
ME 262 restorations
MoF Restoration facility

Needless to say just touring that area is almost a full day event if you are into aircraft!

The actual Museum of Flight is in South Seattle. It is one of the best west coast aviation museums (IMHO), and now that we have the exclusive LeMay Automotive museum in Tacoma, you will need to find the time to come visit them both!

I do love aircraft!

Vince
It was the Historic Flight Foundation I visited.
https://maps.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF8&...=A&gl=CA&hl=en

All of the aircraft are in working order and fly a number of times a year.
They have a Mustang, a Spitfire, a DC3 originally owned by Johnson & Johnson and many other really cool aircraft.
They had a Mitchell bomber in for its annual maintenence and all of these you could get up close and touch. They sure did not build them for comfort!
My guide volunteer knew everything about every plane and was obviously a pilot himself.
My son is an AME for Helifor Canada (Columbia Helicopters) so I am familiar with helicopters large and small but it sure was cool to see some of these classic aircraft.
I would recommend this as a must see, especially with one of the more than willing volunteer guides.
I know what you mean about a full day. I only scratched the surface.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

It was the Historic Flight Foundation I visited.
I know what you mean about a full day. I only scratched the surface.

I hope you saw the F7F Tigercat named "Bad Kitty"! (note: not my photo)

Tried to get custom plates with similar name! (all were taken... grrrrr)

V

Attached Thumbnails Feb Meet and Drives-airshow144.jpg  
Old 02-07-2013, 05:24 PM

I hope you saw the F7F Tigercat named "Bad Kitty"! (note: not my photo)

Tried to get custom plates with similar name! (all were taken... grrrrr)

V
It unfortunately was in storage as they had to make room for the Mitchell.
They did give me a comp ticket to come back when Bad Kitty returns in a few weeks.
Guess I have an excuse to come down see it and do another drive.
Too bad eh!

Last edited by growler05; 02-07-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Well, so far Saturday and Sunday look like scattered showers.
For Saturday,
I'm watching Exotics@RTC closely, but if the forecast holds they will most likely call it off. That might be a blessing as I may be driving to Crescent Lake or Cape Flattery this Friday with a buddy. Gonna get home late with a dirty car.

Sundays drive is still showing 0 interested parties, but I'm game should there be a daring soul out there.

Folks crossing the Narrows bridge would need to be in Gig Harbor at 9:00am to drive to Kingston. Northenders taking the ferry would need to catch the 9:40am boat out of Edmonds, and we would meet you in Kingston.

Vince

Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 PM

Well, so far Saturday and Sunday look like scattered showers.
For Saturday,
I'm watching Exotics@RTC closely, but if the forecast holds they will most likely call it off. That might be a blessing as I may be driving to Crescent Lake or Cape Flattery this Friday with a buddy. Gonna get home late with a dirty car.

Sundays drive is still showing 0 interested parties, but I'm game should there be a daring soul out there.

Folks crossing the Narrows bridge would need toout. in Gig Harbor at 9:00am to drive to Kingston. Northenders taking the ferry would need to catch the 9:40am boat out of Edmonds, and we would meet you in Kingston.

Vince
I would be all over it but a full Volleyball schedule with both daughters counts me out this weekend.
Next time.......

Old 02-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Vince, I have a commitment Sunday or I would be on that Kingston ferry and joining you. BTW, I live just a mile or two as the planes fly from Paine Field, the restored warbirds often fly over my house. I hope to join a drive with you soon, keep up the good work.

Kevin
"Swimref"

Old 02-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Swimref
Vince, I have a commitment Sunday or I would be on that Kingston ferry and joining you. BTW, I live just a mile or two as the planes fly from Paine Field, the restored warbirds often fly over my house. I hope to join a drive with you soon, keep up the good work.

Kevin
"Swimref"
lol, I know you would Kev, but I understand commitments too...
Feb was maybe a little too hopeful a start for most of us anyhow...

Have my kid this weekend and debating what to do Saturday now that E@RTC is off. Thinking about LeMay (he hasn't been yet), and maybe doing the Ft Lewis Museum. I'll check back here Sat evening for any last minute takers to Pt Townsend (wont take any arm twisting to make me drive my Jag, that's for sure). With no hands raised so far, I suspect we will need to work harder on an April GTG.

hummmm......Spring time......

V

Quick Reply: Feb Meet and Drives