9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

May 26th Jag meetup and drive!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts
Default May 26th Jag meetup and drive!

OK! For those of you that missed the April event...
(Sorry... But it was awesome!)

Here's another chance to join in on the fun!
So far, it looks like late May is the preferred date, but I'll leave that poll open 2 more days (April 27th) for any of you wanting the chance to have your voice heard. CLICK HERE

Destinations:
We checked off Lunch at LaConner, and Deception Pass as destinations. No repeats unless someone wants to set up a drive themselves (Highly encouraged please!).

Thant leaves us several other destinations to choose from, and if you have other ideas to recommend, speak up!

Keep in mind, lower elevations still win, rain or shine, and higher up can be a dice toss until Memorial Day, where all passes are typically clear. Hurricane ridge is an exception, as it is currently open.

Anyhow! Lets get the party started! Vote for your TWO preferred destinations, and/or leave a few recommendations in your post!

I said once before that many of us have 'Been there, Done that' in our years of driving, but it has always been great fun to meet new people, and share our love for our cars! New, old, shiny or primered...Jags just scream "Beauty" regardless! These are great times you don't want to miss! Trust me! (Well, until someone is silly enough to put me in the lead... Then... No... don't trust me... I'll get you a ticket! (Eeep!))

Old 04-26-2018, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mprinvale
As someone from the Portland area I have no idea which one(s) to vote for.
mprinvale, Sorry... We never intend to neglect any Jag owner, and I hope to see a run south at some point this summer. I spoke to a few at our last drive about Saint Helens, and that could easily happen when weather is in our favor. Still a full day drive for us coming from the north.
We did a 101 to Astoria loop, then raced up I-5, again cause the day was very long. Maybe that could be another try, but I suspect a few on that drive were not expecting the time involved, or how tired they were by the time we made the interstate and still had to drive north!

2 day events have never happened (IE driving distance, and getting a hotel).
I certainly have done it many times (love the Columbia Scenic Highway), but none of the others up here have, nor have they expressed interest.

What we could really use is a member(s) willing to set up drives in your local area. As you noted, most of us are roughly linked to Seattle.
Drives themselves can be like pulling teeth thanks to busy schedules... Hence my trying the poll system to get maximum participation.

I asked the site owner(s) to give us a PNW section years ago, as we were lumped into the 'West Coast' (6 states I believe). Maybe we need a Washington and Oregon section instead. Our top forum moderators are from much smaller countries, and I suspect that sometimes they don't quite grasp the fact that one of our states is the same size... Still, separating us would mean we would not get to meet our brethren to the south.

Anywhoooo Until we can convince folks to point that far south, we few are the rarity willing to do the distance.

Vince

Old 04-26-2018, 04:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll vote for whichever one has some decent hotels because I'll turn it into a little weekend like I did the Leavenworth drive.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mprinvale
I'll vote for whichever one has some decent hotels because I'll turn it into a little weekend like I did the Leavenworth drive.
Tough call if Peace Park or Lummi Island was chosen. That's 3 hours north of Tacoma IF traffic treats you nice.
Semiahmoo Resort is up there near the border.. Sweet, but spendy from my pocketbook perspective. Otherwise I'm sure Bellingham would have all the main hotel chains nearby.

If we opt for lower destinations. Hood Canal, Pt Townsend, Ocean Shores, Satsop, then Tacoma or Olympia would be good resting grounds after a long day.

Others may have better info for you.

V

Old 04-28-2018, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member
Default DATE SHIFT! 19TH of May?

OK, So originally May 26th held the commanding lead in votes for our May gathering.

In the end, May 19th and 26th tied. (Argggg! Nothing is simple these days! )

So I propose a date shift to the 19th....
My reasoning is that it allows us a "holy crud, look at the crappy weather" fallback to the 26th". I suspect the 26th will not be needed, as we are use to rain, but downpours it can make a nice drive much more stressful for those running the freeway to get here.

I'm open to talk, and as always will bow to the majority.

For now... Focus on the 19th instead of the 26th

Now get your votes in to where we are headed!

Vince

Don't forget...
Sunday, September 30th Cascadia Cats 7th annual drive to Leavenworth... Mark your calendar for a "Do Not Miss" event!

Last edited by CleverName; 04-28-2018 at 01:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tork Monster (04-29-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts

I’m leaving for vacation on the 25th so I’ll miss this drive. I’ll try to go on the next one.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:42 PM
Received 156 Likes on 85 Posts

Jay,
Thanks for setting this up.
Lori and I will be in Iowa that weekend to attend a wedding, so we will miss this. We have the Cascadia Cats run on the calendar however!

.. the other Jay

Old 04-29-2018, 10:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm working out some electrical gremlins. If I can get that sorted, I'm in!!!

Old 05-03-2018, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Default May 19th meet and drive

Come on!
Vote and join in the fun!

Saturday May 19th!

Old 05-08-2018, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Not a lot of action yet.... and I hate ties!

REMEMBER - MAY 19th! (not 26)
Times a-waistin'! Join in on the fun!

Last edited by CleverName; 05-08-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:13 PM
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Just an FYI May 19th is the Rhody Festival in Port Towsend & Fort Warden. Crowds and a parade not sure that would be the best pick I like the driving out there but could be crowded.

CleverName (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 03:23 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I haven’t joined any of these in the past, but I think I’m available. Wouldn’t mind tagging along. Sounds like it’s the 19th, but either way the 19th or 26th...

Last edited by ugotmale; 05-11-2018 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Adding text
CleverName (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 11:37 PM
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Just thinking that if there are any Vinophiles in the Portland area, I know I could be persuaded to head South to the Willamette Valley southwest of Portland where Pinot Noir is king. I've explored the Yakima and Walla Walla valleys but haven't ventured south. If someone wanted to plan a tour and tastings I'd certainly make a weekend of it!

Old 05-13-2018, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

Ok... So we have maybe 2 days left in the polls, and so far Hood Canal loop is leading.
The two closest runner-ups are Pt Townsend, and Hurricane Ridge. So unless things alter quickly, things are happening over here on the Kitsap and Olympic Peninsula.
That said, our starting point will Pt. Gamble for any one of the three destinations.
Using Pt Gamble as a start, we have the following:

Hood canal loop is about 2.5 hours before we reach a place to eat and separate our own ways (South to Tacoma Narrows, or North back to Kingston).

Hurricane Ridge is an in and out drive along the same road (Although I have a few fun side roads offer up if interested). Estimate 2 hours each way, so adding vista time (may be zero if overcast) say 4.5 hours.

Pt Townsend/Fort Warden is 1hr each way, with alternated routes into and out of the area, say maybe 2.5 hours when you add sight seeing.

None of these times take into account food stops...

Also, Fort Warden is a State Park (Discover pass needed, $10/day or $30/yr.)
Hurricane Ridge is a National Park. with a $25 fee (good for 7 days), or $80 for an 'America the Beautiful' annual pass good for all National parks (I will host a trip to Sunrise on Mt Rainier later this summer, so I recommend supporting our NP system with the annual pass).

I wanted to get data out to all of you pending next weekends drive so you have an idea what to expect. Assuming Hood Canal remains the leader then The Edmunds to Kingston 8:50 boat should give us a 10AM departure from Pt Gamble... This will work for any of the three, actually. Hurricane ridge being the longer day.

There ya go... get your vote in and totally mess me up as quickly as possible, so I can revise the drive!

Peace!
Vince

BTW: If you choose to cross the bridge and drive north to Pt Gamble, I can meet up in Bremerton and drive north with you... V

Last edited by CleverName; 05-14-2018 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Additional info at bottom of post
Old 05-15-2018, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

So far, Saturday is looking like good weather! (Says 76 and partly cloudy). The partly cloudy part would hint that Hurricane Ridge would be better left for another day. (I've seen wonderful lowland weather, only to drive up and into the clouds hugging the Olympic range.)

Also, for those that have not attended our group drives:

• Arrive with a full tank.
  • Arrive with tires inflated
  • Arrive with a big smile!
  • Bring Your Discover (State Parks) pass. Hood canal loop has a nice park on the south end we use for a restroom break. We've been in and out several times without the ranger coming by, but they are getting more strict, and the fine is 3 times higher than the annual pass costs! (These passes can be bought at the park if needed) If we head to Pt Townsend, the pass is needed there as well.
  • We communicate car to car using FRS radios. These handhelds are inexpensive and found in any retailer that has an electronics department. Highly recommended you own have a pair, though someone may have a loaner in a pinch, but best be prepared if not!

Looking forward to Saturday!

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 05-15-2018 at 01:13 PM. Reason: More about Park passes
Old 05-15-2018, 09:54 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I've got an unavoidable conflict on the 19th. I'm in charge of another event and am unable to bail.

I need more weekends in a week. /cough

Old 05-15-2018, 10:04 PM
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Vince,

How many RSVPs do you have so far? I'm going to see if I can make it, but have some family stuff going on, so I'm not sure yet.

Any decision on where the group is going yet, or is that going to be determined the morning of?

Jonathan

Old 05-15-2018, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

MAY 19TH!

Originally Posted by MrWhite
Vince,
How many RSVPs do you have so far?
Jonathan

RSVPs? Good Point... No clue

1.) Vince
2.) Muddydog (assumed but not confirmed)
3.) mprinvale - tentative
4.) ShiftDriftDream - tentative
5.) ugotmale
6.) ?
7.) ?
8,) ?

Poll closes Wednesday I think (I'll have to write it down next time, cause...well... I fergot.)

However at this late date it will one of the two (Hood Canal or Fort Warden) over here on the peninsulas. Both are easy drives I'm amenable to a raise of hands from those that actually show up (the polls also don't tell me who voted for what, although that was a setting I may check mark next time).

Sorry I'm stumbling with this poll system, I hope to get better at it cause I think it helps everyone participate.

Vince

Old 05-16-2018, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts

I’m sorry, but I’m not going to make this one. Hoping for June!:-)

Old 05-16-2018, 08:20 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm still hoping for a sudden downpour causing a one week postponement so I can go. ;-)

Quick Reply: May 26th Jag meetup and drive!