US Northwest Washington/Oregon/Idaho & SW Canadians

Spring Jaguar Drive/Meetup

Old 04-09-2015, 08:25 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts
Default Spring Jaguar Drive/Meetup

What do you guys think? Another run? I'm thinking mid/late May, lets plan a couple of alternate dates to get some good weather, and do some real driving What dates work among the weekends of May 16/17, 23/24 or 30/31? I'm just going to get the conversation going here since I haven't had a chance to sit down and plan anything out yet.

The following users liked this post:
XJDanny (04-14-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Nice one Muddy - anything we can do to help, please let me know.
I can make it an announcement in the section and or email those in your area to advise once you have something concrete set up, if you like

Happy to help
Jim

Muddydog (04-09-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 06:50 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Boy, I could really use a good Jag drive. The last one was Feb. 7th and it was very successful. I'm afraid I can't make it the 16/17 weekend nor on the 23rd (also Memorial Day weekend) but I can the 30/31 weekend. Where are you taking us?

Old 04-23-2015, 01:22 PM

I forgot the 25th was Memorial Day. That's out. The 31st weekend may work. Maybe drive somewhere up in the Mt Baker area? Too early for the mountains?

Old 04-24-2015, 03:12 PM

Has anyone been to Artist Point? WashDOT says it will open in Early May. Earliest recorded opening. We could leave out of Sedro Wooly or points farther south.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts

This sounds great! The weekend of May 31st works for me.
Thanks for coordinating this, Muddy

Old 04-26-2015, 04:20 AM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Fun!

Old 04-26-2015, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

In!

1.) Muddydog
2.) Swimref
3.) XJUDanny
4.) Nookieman
5.) Clevername
6.) ?
7.) ?

Last edited by CleverName; 04-26-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Muddydog (04-29-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 08:35 PM

I am really looking forward to this. One caveat however, is that high altitude mountain driving in the North Cascades even in late May can have surprise winter weather. Those on winter or all-season tires should be fine, those on summer rubber may wish to consider carrying cable chains or tire socks. This is going to be great!

Old 04-27-2015, 08:48 PM

Good point, Swim. While we can't account for surprises, this will be weather dependent. If the forecast calls for rain or snow in the higher elevations we will need to reschedule. I will try and work out a route next week sometime and if I get a chance I'll do a little scouting beforehand!

XJDanny (04-28-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 03:09 PM

I know it's a month away, but I'm getting excited. Here is something from the Highway Department website.
April 23, 2015

• Crews are now clearing the road to Artist Point. Depending on weather conditions, SR 542 could be open all the way to Artist Point in early May. That would be the earliest recorded opening.
Artist Point is located at the very end of Mount Baker Highway, State Route 542 and boasts 360-degree views of Mount Shuksan and Mount Baker, as well as access to a variety of trails.

The road to Artist Point, 2.7 miles long (milepost 54.55 to 57.26) and more than 5,000 feet above sea level, is typically buried under snow and closed October through June.

The road to Artist Point typically opens in July and remains open until the first substantial snowfall of the year, which usually comes in late September or early October.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:18 PM

If that date is working for everyone I'll send out an email! The iPhone app isn't working well and is making it difficult for me to check up on the forums. I'll get to my home computer some time soon and add a few new arrivals to the list before I send it out.

XJDanny (05-02-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
If that date is working for everyone I'll send out an email! The iPhone app isn't working well and is making it difficult for me to check up on the forums. I'll get to my home computer some time soon and add a few new arrivals to the list before I send it out.
Sounds good!.

Odd my AG app on the Android has died as well with server errors....

Old 05-01-2015, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member

I'd guess Muddy and I will cross on the Kingston boat. I might recommend the Lynnwood Jaguar dealership as a meeting point for anyone coming from the south?

Maybe hit interstate just to get north a tad, then jump 530 into Arlington and run 9 north from there?

https://goo.gl/maps/OlnZO

A bad weather alternate (depending on just how bad) could be to fly up the North Cascade highway to Ross Lake (about 3500 feet lower in elevation)? About the same drive time as Artist Point, although from pics I've seen, North Cascades may not be nearly as spectacular.

Sorry....Just thinkin out-loud...

Old 05-01-2015, 06:18 AM

Meeting at Jaguar of Seattle in Lynnwood is a good idea, but I would like to propose a slight modification. Since Lynnwood would require me to head due south for nearly 20 miles from home only to completely retrace my steps, how about meeting at the rest stop between Smokey Point and Arlington? This is at the north edge of the metropolitan Seattle area and is the first rest stop on northbound I-5 since Federal Way far to the south. The rest stop is also just one exit south of where Clever Name suggests we leave the freeway.

The alternative of the North Cascades Highway is a good one, and will have plenty of scenery. Anyone who has seen the bright green glacial waters of Diablo Lake surrounded by true alpine peaks would not be disappointed. I do hope though, that we will not be too timid to tackle the more challenging drive. Like nearly all European cars, ours are designed and built for all weather alpine driving and can handle it easily.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

I live in Snohomish so I like Swimref's suggestion to meet at the rest stop between Smokey Point and Arlington. I won't mind, though, if we meet at the Jag dealer in Lynnwood. Maybe they would give us a nice welcome. I'm down for whatever.

Really looking forward to this!

Old 05-02-2015, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJDanny
I live in Snohomish so I like Swimref's suggestion to meet at the rest stop between Smokey Point and Arlington.

Really looking forward to this!
Same here!

Obviously Muddy will make the call... But if we have folks from the Seattle area, Lynnwood Jaguar makes a very good 1st meeting point.... Swinging into the rest area on our way north should not be a problem but timing would be 30 minutes after the Lynnwood departure.

Personally, I'd like to get off Interstate (IE drivers hell) as quickly as possible after that. I don't know the northern area at all, so I am clueless about Hwy 9 north of Arlington... Is getting on 9 (via 530) even a good idea?

Also, are we waffling between the 30th and 31st? or just calling the 31st. I like to waffle in favor of picking the better weather day about 5-7 days out, but I suspect many don't have that kind of weekend flexibility...
Muddy may need to fire off the invite and perhaps see where the majority of the cards fall, as we are only 5 deep so far... I'm down for either date.

I hope some of our Canadian brethren will consider meeting us, maybe at the Mt Baker Hwy and Hwy 9 Junction? (Hint, Hint Growler and AVT)

Just helpin hammer out logistics...

V

BTW, here are the roads my cat was prowling just two weeks ago!

Last edited by CleverName; 05-02-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Muddydog (05-03-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 05:13 PM

That is beautiful!

I think it's going to work out better to meet at the rest stop. It's a pretty nice one with bathrooms and free coffee. It's bad coffee, but while some may say life is too short for bad coffee, I say take a chance.

I have a plan that takes us off the interstate as soon as 530 to Arlington. After Pilchuck Creek a paved logging road bypasses much of Hwy 9. (Lake Cavanaugh Rd/Grandstrom Rd/Finn Settlement Rd.) It dumps us out near Big Lake, and we can take 538 back to I-5 for about 13 miles then exit again at Lake Samish Rd to head down for some twisties around Lake Whatcom, emerging at Wickersham on Hwy 9 again.

Or we forget about I-5 and go north on 9 and consider the Lake Whatcom road as a back-and-forth option just for fun.

First stop is the general store in Acme for snacks and bathrooms. I haven't timed it out yet.

From Acme we head up to Artist Point (second stop) and do whatever there is to do there. It'll be a little exploration for all of us I guess. The ski resort is up that way, too, so I'm sure (i.e. I hope) there will be facilities. If not there are a couple of little towns along that end of 542.

Coming back I suggest taking 9 all the way down through Sedro-Woolley and stopping at a roadhouse at the roundabout just south of Clear Lake. It's called Big Rock Cafe. (3rd stop). Here we eat.

Now people who need to leave can jump on I-5, and those who are up for one last hurrah can take the little logging road south in the other direction, south back to Arlington, and hit I-5 via 530 the way we came.

Let me know what you guys think and I'll time it out. I'll send out the email shortly. I agree that we can set 5/30/15 as an alternate date if rain is forecast for Sunday. Actually I don't care which day we choose. But it's more fun to take the curves on dry pavement for me.

*edit: all that said, if people want to meet at Lynnwood and caravan up to the rest stop I'll do that too. If it's just Clever and me coming up that way then we'll already have met at the ferry, I'm assuming.

Last edited by Muddydog; 05-03-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

The drive sounds perfect! Thanks again, Muddy, for all your planning. Either day, the 30th or 31st, works for me but I'll put the 31st on my calendar.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:58 PM

Email sent. But then you all know that by now

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spring Jaguar Drive/Meetup