US Northwest Washington/Oregon/Idaho & SW Canadians

Spring is near! Lets start talking!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts
Default Spring is near! Lets start talking!

So, Memorial day (May 28th) is always one of my favs, as it often declares Hwy 123 open for a loop of Rainier (and most upper mountain roads), but spring brings out our cats, for a quick wash and polish, ready to greet it's brethren on an opportunistic sunny weekend.
I think it is time to start looking to 2018, and get some fun on our calendars!

We are restricted to low-land drives at present, which could be as simple as a drive to Satsop, or as Muddydog managed to coordinate one year, a nice round of beers at Newcastle Golf course.

Simple drives, such as Fort Warden near Pt Townsend, Fort Cassy on Whidbey, or Snoqualmie falls are casual and relaxing introductions as well.

Lets hear ideas! Cars and coffee in Tacoma? Run to Ocean Shores? Hood Canal Loop? Wife swapping in Belltow.... errr... no... wait.... (Where the hell did that come from? Bad Vince... BAD!)
Back on track...
Lets hear some ideas that you all would like to see! Some of us senior members have 'been there....done that....' and that makes it difficult for us to get things moving... How 'bout some newer folks speaking up! We would enjoy meeting everyone, and what may be a repeat for some of us is still a welcome chance for Jag owners to enjoy the company of those showing similar tastes in great cars!

Start typing, and lets set 2018 in motion!

The following 2 users liked this post by CleverName:
ShiftDriftDream (02-19-2018), XJDanny (02-19-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 10:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll try to make at least one trip up towards Seattle this year but since I live right outside of Portland if any other events happen a little more south I'll likely attend those as well. Somewhere around Mt. Rainier, Gifford Pinchot, etc perhaps.

The following users liked this post:
CleverName (02-19-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 10:57 AM

Should also say I love the coastal areas

Old 02-16-2018, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

Good to know, it was great having you come so far north last year, but we should try to be fare and do something towards you as well.

I might push for a St Helens/Johnson Ridge drive this year, but it has not been well received on past tries (2013 got 4 members, and other tries got none). But it would be good middle ground for Oregon folks to meet up.

Another run we had light success with was a 101 loop to Longbeach, and I-5 return. (3 Jags) We had promise of a member meeting us there, but circumstances got in their way at the last minute.

Rainier loops are common, but not via Paradise, as the roads are just too torn up. Same problems with 23(25?) on the east side of St Helens. They beat your suspension up badly.

Wind River Rd is a 2 day thing for those of us up north, and we have had 0 success in putting together any type of 2 day event .
I'm always game to hit Old cascade scenic highway, but it's like pulling teeth, and everyone up here clams up. Yeash!

If any have interest in these areas or other thoughts, speak up!

Lets do some driving this year!
Vince

Old 02-19-2018, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts

Thanks for getting this started, Vince! I saw my first flowers popping up the other day and it made me so happy to know Spring is on the way. I’m itching for some driving in the Jags! I’ve never done the cars and coffee in Tacoma and would be up for that. A simple drive to Snoqualmie Falls and have lunch at Salish Lodge would be fun. I haven’t been there in years.

CleverName (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

I Think C&C would be a great start for gathering the Puget sound folks.
Love the falls, but didn't like the lodge that much (In truth, it was beautiful, but I didn't know what anything on the menu was! All those weird names and high prices.... Guess I had to finally ask "Are any of these things close to Meat and Potatoes?" lol) I'd be down for something a little more mainstream food wise, but would happily do Salish again if we get the interest!
Anyone tried North Bend Bar and Grill? Could visit the falls along the way....
Other places?

March? Saturday?
I have the 3rd, 10th, and 31st open
10th is preferred

I see the first Exotics At Redmond Town Center is kicking off the 7th of April, But they now have restrictions on which Jags can show, which is too bad.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
I see the first Exotics At Redmond Town Center is kicking off the 7th of April, But they now have restrictions on which Jags can show, which is too bad.
I pinged Nick at E@RTC about my 05 XKR and he said that they would take it. You just need to ask about it, depending on what you drive.

I'm definitely on board with a C&C or drive! I'd (obviously) prefer sunnier days and good conditions. 2-day trips will be harder for me personally, but I would love to give the Cat a stretch.

CleverName (02-19-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 06:50 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

March 3rd or 17th (a pint of Guinness for St. Paddy's Day?) would work for me, I can't make it the 10th, 24th, or 31st. The Roadhouse in Fall City (next to the river where the two highways meet) is pretty good for lunch without the extreme pricing of the Salish Lodge, although it is fun to park amid the Ferraris right in front of the Lodge.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CleverName
I Think C&C would be a great start for gathering the Puget sound folks.
Love the falls, but didn't like the lodge that much (In truth, it was beautiful, but I didn't know what anything on the menu was! All those weird names and high prices.... Guess I had to finally ask "Are any of these things close to Meat and Potatoes?" lol) I'd be down for something a little more mainstream food wise, but would happily do Salish again if we get the interest!
Anyone tried North Bend Bar and Grill? Could visit the falls along the way....
Other places?
It sounds like you ate at the fine dining at Salish Lodge in Snoqualmie Falls. They have another restaurant called, The Attic, that has sandwiches, pizza, and burgers. It’s still on the nicer side and not cheap but a friend was just there and said the food is excellent. I still think Snoqualmie Falls would be a nice drive for lunch. Just a suggestion. I’m open to many things including CandC.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Swimref! Buddy! How fared you this winter!?! I see you are starting the year with yer same ol shenanigans of not lining up with any dates! Yeash!

The 3rd is cutting it close for most here. Not sure we could pull it off in 9 days. I'm not helping by missing the 17th and 24th, but it isn't about me
We have 4 people out of 287 views even willing to discuss it!

If I'm gonna get up and drive an hour and a half to a meetup point, I'd hope for coffee and maybe a breakfast...
When do most C&C begin? Typically 8 or 9ish don't they?

Old 02-20-2018, 05:36 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd be up for a south-end drive soon.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

So here;s my thought... We can waffle all day long, but that causes problems more than happenings due to conflicts and anything else one can imaging.

I propose March 10th, Sun break Cafe (22 A St SW, Auburn, WA 98001-5303) meeting at 10AM, Food looks 'OK', parking looks even better, and location covers north and south with easily access. After breakfast, I think a visit to the falls is a good gathering start to see us on the road and enjoying our cars. Maybe follow 18 (yuck) but easy, none the less. Photo opps at the upper parking lots before parting ways has been a win in the past. (some may choose lunch while there)

There ya go....
I've laid down a plan folks, but I'll also admit stupidity to that side of the water.
Lets make it happen, and if I'm way off base speak up now!

Peace!
Vince

ATTENDIEES:
1.) Clevername
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)

Gonna go back ta surfin naked women now.... (Ykes? was that my inside voice?) Talk at you all later on!

Last edited by CleverName; 02-22-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:06 AM

I'm in pending good weather. I fully admit she doesn't go out in the rain/snow.

ATTENDEES:
1.) Clevername
2.) mprinvale
3.)
4.)
5.)

CleverName (02-23-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

I’m tied up the weekend of the 10th. I look forward to the next one!

Old 02-25-2018, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

Crap!...
I just cant put together gatherings for the life of me !
Many say I waffle on dates too much and that I should just call it, and deal with it... Personally I hate seeing key people hold back cause they have things planned!
(Where's Muddy when I need him?)
Should we look at the 17th?

10th
Clevername
mprinvale
?
?
?

17th
Swimref
?
?
?

I need help here folks... C&C seemed sooooo easy on paper!

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 02-25-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member

I sure appreciate you always trying to coordinate these drives, Vince! But please don’t change the dates. March is tough for me because I’m busy the weekend of the 10th and one of the weekends after that I’m hoping to get to LA to visit the sun and escape this horrible weather of ours. If I’m in town, I’ll be on any drives if there is one. :-)

Old 02-26-2018, 08:59 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

As much as I would really love to do a drive on the 17th, the idea of doing a drive without Vince just isn't right. Is Jay still able to participate? I have seen/heard so little of him lately. For the future, let me propose April 21st (after tax season and avoiding all lowland snow) as a date, perhaps for the fun Hood Canal loop or the Diablo Lake/Skagit River run.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Sadly Swim, I'm causing similar problems... I cant do the 17th or 24th. This is more an attempt at our first ever 'Cars and Coffee' kinda thing (Personally, I'm winging it cause I've never been to one myself to even know how they are run!). A simple drive to a picturesque location for a group photo was secondary to my thoughts, but a great idea if distance is kept short.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not asking mprinvale to drive this distance without participants.... Come on folks! Lets show off our cars to each other! No such thing as a bad looking Jag, just ones in various states of restoration!
Should we just meet in a starbucks parking lot? (is that what C&C is?)

Old 02-28-2018, 11:49 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd be up for a Sat am C&C type meet-up March 10, weather permitting.

Quick Reply: Spring is near! Lets start talking!