US Northwest Washington/Oregon/Idaho & SW Canadians

Time to talk "Drives" for 2013

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts
Default Time to talk "Drives" for 2013

Well, the nice chilly (but dry) weekend had the Jag out of the garage and me thinking about the coming months as winter abates.
Last year we managed to get several Jag owners together, and took in some of our wonderful West Coast scenery. (Mt. Saint Helen's, and the Leavenworth loop.)
It was not a large crowd, but I hope it was a beginning.

The feelers are now going out for the 2013 season.

I would like to see maybe 3 planned drives minimum, with focus on the better months here in the PNW. That is typically going to be June through September. These dates coincide with when most our mountain roads are fully open.

Are any of these trips worth making an annual event (single day drives)?
1.) St Helens (Alternate east/west entrance? Best = Jul - Sep)
2.) Sunrise (Best Jul - Sep)
3.) Leavenworth (Best = Autumn colors)
4.) Ocean Shores (Best = Summer)
5.) SolDuc Hot Springs (Best = Jun - Sep)
6.) Snoqualmie Falls (Spring runoff?)
7.) Pt Townsend/Fort Worden (Best = Any date)
8.) Tulip festival (Apr 1st-30th)
9.) Whidbey Is Loop (Best = Any date)
10.) Paradise/Mt Rainier loop (Best = Jul - Sep)
11.) Hurricane Ridge (Best = Jul - Sep)
12.) Chukanut Drive (Best = ?)
13.) Astoria (Best - Any date)
14.) other?

So my question is to find those interested, have them pick their top 3, and start to work out a date to make it happen.

So lets start talking... What interests you?

-Vince

As a point of reference, I actually took 15 road trips in 2012, (although 3 were to NorCal to visit family, I still chose great back-roads to get there!)
Of the 12 "fun runs" I made, 3 were 2-day drives. (North Cascades Loop, Bend Oregon/East Cascades loop, and Columbia River.)

I will be heading to Idaho this summer for a 2-day, and will certainly offer an invite to any interested, but I don't suspect 2-day events to be popular with forum members.... I'm just a little odd with my "road trip" mentality and do them often on a whim. -V

Last edited by CleverName; 03-25-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm up for most all of these, I've done them all on my bike, but haven't done most by car. Top 3 for me...

7.) Pt Townsend/Fort Worden (Best = Any date)

Andy

Old 01-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the feedback Andy...

Another point. All these drives are referenced from the northern area.
Any members want to set up Portland or Salem drives, feel free to step up! I'd drive to Portland to attend!
Maybe take in Columbia scenic hwy and loop Hood via 35-26?

Food for thought for you Oregonians to get together!

-Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 01-14-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top 3 for me...

3.) Leavenworth (Best = Autumn colors)

Old 01-14-2013, 08:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Might I suggest an alternative for the Whidbey and Ft. Worden runs.

Go to Whidbey first and hit Fort Casey, the counterpart to Fort Worden. Hit Casey first, lunch in Coupville, then take the ferry over to see Worden. Or...

Andy

Last edited by andnew; 01-14-2013 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Stupid spelling mistake...
Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by andnew
Might I suggest an alternative for the Whidbey and Ft. Worden runs.

Go to Whidbey first and hit Fort Casey, the counterpart to Fort Worden. Hit Casey first, lunch in Coupville, then take the ferry over to see Worden. Or...

Andy
I was looking at that... If Whidbey was a a chosen GTG, then I was thinking April would be a good time for it, as we could combine it with the Tulip festival.
Meet at Alderwood mall, head north (Avoiding I-5 as much as possible) and we pass right through all the fields getting to the north end of the island. Great early afternoon photo ops in lots of colors...
Hit the island, and head south (short stop at Deception pass) to Oak Harbor for lunch (Flyers has a few good micro brews, pretty decent food, and plenty of parking). Coupeville is only 15 minutes further if you know of a better place to eat.

From there to Ft. Casey.
As I am on the Kitsap County side of the water, I would take the Pt Townsend boat and those on the Seattle side would head down to the Clinton/Mukilteo boat. Once across to Mukilteo you all could maybe do a parting dinner on that side?
Here is a rough map.
I've never seen the tulip stuff, and think it would be a win for families as well?

St Helens is a win as well, and gets my vote. Maybe June to Johnson Ridge? West entrance. Those that have never driven 504 into the mountain are in for a treat! However it makes for a very.. very....very long day...

All is on the table for discussion...
I will cater to the wishes of the majority. I just hope to see a line of Jags enjoying what they do best! Drive the open roads!

If possible, I will pre-drive most of these routes.

Vince

Any other places to add to the list?

Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
I was looking at that... If Whidbey was a a chosen GTG, then I was thinking April would be a good time for it, as we could combine it with the Tulip festival.
Meet at Alderwood mall, head north (Avoiding I-5 as much as possible) and we pass right through all the fields getting to the north end of the island. Great early afternoon photo ops in lots of colors...
Hit the island, and head south (short stop at Deception pass) to Oak Harbor for lunch (Flyers has a few good micro brews, pretty decent food, and plenty of parking). Coupeville is only 15 minutes further if you know of a better place to eat.

From there to Ft. Casey.
As I am on the Kitsap County side of the water, I would take the Pt Townsend boat and those on the Seattle side would head down to the Clinton/Mukilteo boat. Once across to Mukilteo you all could maybe do a parting dinner on that side?
Here is a rough map.
I've never seen the tulip stuff, and think it would be a win for families as well?

St Helens is a win as well, and gets my vote. Maybe June to Johnson Ridge? West entrance. Those that have never driven 504 into the mountain are in for a treat! However it makes for a very.. very....very long day...

All is on the table for discussion...
I will cater to the wishes of the majority. I just hope to see a line of Jags enjoying what they do best! Drive the open roads!

If possible, I will pre-drive most of these routes.

Vince

Any other places to add to the list?
Vince,
Unless you are considering doing this on a weekday, there are some things you need to know about visiting the Skagit Valley tulip fields. Back in the 70's and 80's it was wonderful, light traffic, free parking, no tourist traps, kitsch, or ripoffs. On weekends in April it has now become a rather unpleasant experience. Think rush hour I-5 in Tacoma, but without the shoulders and exits. Very narrow two lane farm roads with no shoulders or turnoffs, stop and go gridlock, choking smog, punctuated every 20 minutes or so (figure 2-3 hours to get through the jam) by a turnout into a parking area (parking for a steep price, of course) that leads not so much to colorful fields as to a gift shop full of junk. If there is any way to do this on a weekday or exceptionally early on a weekend I'm all for it, but by 9AM or so it becomes a zoo and I wouldn't be as interested.

A couple places in the same area you didn't mention:
Chuckanut Drive. For nearly a century this has made lists of most scenic drives in the country or world. On a bright sunny day the sight of the San Juan Islands gleaming like emeralds in the sapphire sea will leave you speechless. Yes, it can get more traffic than you would like on nice weekends, but certainly nothing like the tulip fields, and the view makes up for it. This could be part of a loop, drive north to Bellingham on Hwy 9, then south on Chuckanut (Hwy 11).

LaConner. The Northwest's largest art colony, full of cool shops for those into that, good food and drink as well. To make it more interesting, leave town through the Swinomish I.R., extremely light traffic.

Rosario Beach. Located in the northwest corner of Deception Pass S.P., on the north side of the pass. This is my favorite beach, with tidepools, a short hike to the point with awesome views and sea lions, great beachcoming (find an agate), etc.

I agree that Fort Casey is an excellent stop, containing fascinating exhibits (with huge real cannons) as well as the much-photographed Admiralty Head lighthouse.

Anyplace on Whidbey Island oozes charm and soul, except for the typical Navy town of Oak Harbor. Strictly a place for hurrying through when compared to any other place on the island.

By the way, you mentioned dinner in Mukilteo for the Whidbey loop. There are many good places, but the best choice is probably the one right next to the ferry terminal on the water. Known for years as Taylor's Landing, it was bought by Ivar's several years ago and is now known as Ivar's Mukilteo Landing. Ignore the fish bar on the street and go inside to one of the better seafood restaurants anywhere.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Swimref!
Thanks for the Tulip tips... (Had no idea to the gridlock and would not enjoy it myself..... but then, from my perspective just showing up on your side of the water is a traffic nightmare even on your lightest days! How you folks tolerate it I have no idea... )
I'll add Chukanut to the list, but I saw similar bumper to bumper traffic there last year (September)... a packed road, not a parking space to be found (didn't go into the state park though) and heavily patrolled. A disappointing side trip at the time, but I was on my way to the glories of the North Cascades Highway which can overshadow most our roads in the state.

Speaking of Northern loops, has anyone driven the 20-530 loop(Arlington/Darrington/Old Skagit Hwy)? Looks interesting.

I would love to see LaConner, and the roads in and out of it look good. Maybe kill the Tulip idea for a LaConner pass-through?

Sounds like Whidbey is gaining favor for a drive, and sidestepping tulips leaves it open for most times of the year. It too is a full days drive.

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 01-16-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:00 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Vince and everyone,
This is very last minute, but Karen and I are taking the Jag for a small road trip Saturday (2 days away). The largest concentration of bald eagles in the US outside Alaska is on the upper Skagit River Dec. - Feb. (peak numbers right now). Alaska and Washington are the only states where the national bird is not endangered. We're going to get up early with the spotting scope and cameras, it's about 60-90 min. away from us. Prime viewing is 5-11AM, after that there are many great driving roads in the area and lunch spots in Marblemount or elsewhere. Map of the eagle area is attached. Anyone from the NW group want to join us? C'mon, you know you want to!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
eaglemap.pdf (1.12 MB, 111 views)
The following users liked this post:
CleverName (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Swimref
Vince and everyone,
This is very last minute, but Karen and I are taking the Jag for a small road trip Saturday (2 days away). The largest concentration of bald eagles in the US outside Alaska is on the upper Skagit River Dec. - Feb. (peak numbers right now). Alaska and Washington are the only states where the national bird is not endangered. We're going to get up early with the spotting scope and cameras, it's about 60-90 min. away from us. Prime viewing is 5-11AM, after that there are many great driving roads in the area and lunch spots in Marblemount or elsewhere. Map of the eagle area is attached. Anyone from the NW group want to join us? C'mon, you know you want to!
What a great idea! . . Thanks for the invite!

Still a little too early in the year for me. (Not to mention the time, as I am almost 2 hours from your starting point!)
I would love to check out the Eagles, as well as hit those awesome roads, but the current frosty temps would keep me scared of each shaded corner.

I hope others on your side speak up, cause it sounds like a great morning excursion to let a few cats chase some magnificent birds.

Thanks again!

Anyone?

Last edited by CleverName; 01-17-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Swimref
Vince and everyone,
This is very last minute, . Anyone from the NW group want to join us? C'mon, you know you want to!
So how was the trip? Clear skies? Dry roads? Pics?

I had hoped someone on your side of the water would have spoke up and joined the outing! I'm sure you both had a great time in your Jag.

Ah well, response to get-togethers has been limited so far. May just be too early in the season to gather interest yet.

I vote for our first real attempt to be around the middle of Feb (16th?). Gives us a month to iron out any wrinkles?

Do Whidbey or Pt Townsend (both lowland runs so rain will be our only issue), whichever has the greatest interest?

V

Last edited by CleverName; 01-20-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

So how was the trip? Clear skies? Dry roads? Pics?

I had hoped someone on your side of the water would have spoke up and joined the outing! I'm sure you both had a great time in your Jag.

Ah well, response to get-togethers has been limited so far. May just be too early in the season to gather interest yet.

I vote for our first real attempt to be around the middle of Feb (16th?). Gives us a month to iron out any wrinkles?

Do Whidbey or Pt Townsend (both lowland runs so rain will be our only issue), whichever has the greatest interest?

V
Hi from Sunshine Coast BC.
I am always looking to an opportunity to drive new roads, explore different areas and meet new people.
I have done a few 'follow my nose trips' in Washington & Oregon this last year and I am always looking for new roads, less travelled.
Local knowledge helps find these new routes so count me in if there are any pending drives coming up.
I just need a little notice as I have a ferry and a border crossing to negotiate.
I am about 2 hours +/− from Bellingham if I have an easy border crossing.
I'm also OK doing an over night stay if need be to make it work.

Allan
Roberts Creek BC.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by growler05
Hi from Sunshine Coast BC.
I am always looking to an opportunity to drive new roads, explore different areas and meet new people.
I have done a few 'follow my nose trips' in Washington & Oregon this last year and I am always looking for new roads, less travelled.
Local knowledge helps find these new routes so count me in if there are any pending drives coming up.
I just need a little notice as I have a ferry and a border crossing to negotiate.
I am about 2 hours +/− from Bellingham if I have an easy border crossing.
I'm also OK doing an over night stay if need be to make it work.

Allan
Roberts Creek BC.
Glad to hear we have another road warrior out there! I hope we get enough forum participation to make a trip across the border worthy of your time.
It wouldn't take a whole lot to talk me into driving the North Cascades NP again on a two day run. In September the roads are almost magical up there!
I should get my passport or enhanced license so I can pay homage to some of the wonderful roads you have up north as well....

peace!
-Vince

Old 01-21-2013, 08:34 PM

Glad to hear we have another road warrior out there! I hope we get enough forum participation to make a trip across the border worthy of your time.
It wouldn't take a whole lot to talk me into driving the North Cascades NP again on a two day run. In September the roads are almost magical up there!
I should get my passport or enhanced license so I can pay homage to some of the wonderful roads you have up north as well....

peace!
-Vince
Part of the fun is getting to where the drive starts from. It can be as much of an adventure as the drive itself so I am always game no matter how large or small the group is.
I would also be happy to show anyone interested, some of our spectacular 1 or 2 day drives. I'm always looking for any excuse to get on the road. There are some great loops starting from the Vancouver area. I will come up with some suggestions.

Allan
Roberts Creek

Last edited by growler05; 01-21-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Default Planning a Washington lowland drive next weekend.

It looks like we are going to get see the sun later next week so I was planning on doing a Whidbey Island drive next weekend.
I am planning on being in the area for a couple of days and would like to see the sights from your less traveled roads.........weather permitting.

If anyone out there can suggest some good drives or sights to see in the Washington lowlands I'm all ears.

I was planning to come down from the Lynden border crossing early Saturday morning and head down Hwy 9, Valley Hwy, south through Deming, Arlington area etc. and cut across somewhere around Everett.
Then find a place to stay and head over to Whidbey Island the next day. Cruise around the island for the day and take the Chukanut drive north returning to Canada late Sunday............
No real agenda, just going to follow my nose. I like to drive so.......Any ideas of routes or destinations would be appreciated.

Allan - Roberts Creek BC

Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member

lol, I think we would get along just fine.... My kinda "What the heck" adventure for sure...

The northern end of the State is a weak point for me as my drives in that area usually coincide with 4 hours on the freeway to reach Highway 20 into the North Cascades.... A fault i may have to consider remedying. Hope others here can provide you some fun ideas or maybe even join you up there!

Whidbey has Deception Pass, and if WWI forts interest you there is Fort Casey near the south end of the island. It and Chuckinut are not what I would call "less traveled" as they have consistent traffic, but the sights can be nice.
Although it can get costly, you could jump a ferry out of Anacortes over to Orcas Island. A great little place to explore, being sure to drive to the top of Mount Constance if the weather is clear. Friday Harbor is suppose to have great shops and food. Continue crossing to Sidney?

Sadly I have obligations, or I would consider pointing the Jag north just to meet up!

I was going to try to push folks for a February meet and drive, but even there my dates are limited (9th, 10th or 17th). Would like to see a Kingston - Pt Townsend run for the folks down here.

Hope others speak up and give you better tips!

V

Last edited by CleverName; 01-27-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:51 PM

I have done that N Cascades run. Drove the Crowsnest Hwy through BC and came down from Grand Forks towards Spokane and back along Hwy 20 ending up in Mt Vernon and then N back home.........awesome drive. Did a few side trips along the way. I would do it again any time.

Allan

Last edited by growler05; 01-27-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:55 PM

lol, I think we would get along just fine.... My kinda "What the heck" adventure for sure...

The northern end of ts a weak point for me as my drives in that area usually coincide with 4 hours on the freeway to reach Highway 20 into the North Cascades.... A fault i may have to consider remedying. Hope others here can provide you some fun ideas or maybe even join you up there!

Whidbey has Deception Pass,...........

I was going to try to push folks for a February dDoug , but even there my dates are limited (9th, 10th or 17th). Would like to see a Kingston - Pt Townsend run for the folks down here.

Hope others speak up and give you better tips!

V
I will make note of all the POI's you mentioned.
I know what you mean about Chukanut Dr not really being a less travelled road but I guess I am using the route I outlined as a general direction the journey would take.
Compared to I5 between Seattle and Vancouver BC, all roads are less traveled!
Any road with the words Vista, Ridge, Point or Marine Drive are usually a good for a side trip. When I look at Google Maps I see a lot of good candidates for for exactly that. I will definately be checking them out.
Keep me informed if there are any drives coming up. The Kingston - Port Townsend drive sounds interesting.
My restrictions revolve around work of course and my 2 daughters Club Volleyball schedule.
So if there are no VB tournaments I can usually get away.
Anyway, hope the weather is good........sun would be great, cloudy OK also but fog or rain I may have to reschedule.

Allan

Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Ok, so in trying to wrap my somewhat aged brain around this concept here is what i see as a "rough draft".
I foresee planning 5 drives for the 2013 season. Spaced about two months apart. This should find a few folks interested in one or another.

Please note that the conversation is wide open for discussion.

FEB - Pt Townsend
Apr- (looking for "spring" ideas... Snoqualmie/Whitepass loop? Whidbey?)
June - St Helens
Aug - ?
Oct - Leavenworth loop

I personally will take several more in Jul - Aug - and Sep. to include the Columbia River, North Cascades, and Idaho. Any and all would be welcome, but these are 2 day or more trips, and not something i care to plan stop for stop.

Vince

Old 01-31-2013, 08:26 PM

Well, I can't wait any longer, the weather looks like its going to be good..........I'm itchin' for a drive, so I'm makin' tracks south from the great white north and doing a circuit of the Washington lowlands this weekend.
Down via Hwy 9 south from the border, do a few side trips here and there and end around Monroe or Everett area for the night. Get an early ferry from Mukilteo and tour Whidbey Island and north on Sunday (along with a few side trips) and head for the border late in the day via Chuckanut Drive.
This is a new route for me so anyone have any POI's I should visit or if anyone has the time and wants to meet up and join in on the tour, send me a message.

Allan

Last edited by growler05; 01-31-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Time to talk "Drives" for 2013