US Western AK, CA, NV, OR, UT, HI, WA, ID

Salt Lake City - Jag Mechanics?

Old 10-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Salt Lake City - Jag Mechanics?

Hi All,

Salt Lake City isn't exactly the Jag Mecca of the world... but I was wondering if there are any other like minded individals in these here parts of the state?

It might be nice to figure out who our closer neighbors are in order to better assist one another should problems arrive or services be needed

Cheers,

Johnny

Old 10-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

Hi Johnny,

I live in Cottonwood Heights. I do my own maintenance but I'm not a mechanic. The forums are a great help for me.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:45 PM

Cool! - I know there must be a couple of us out here... maybe a few more can collect a bit here then who knows? :-) Thanks for responding!

Old 10-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm on the west side (sorry, there's no emoticons for gang symbols here.... strange?)

I'm a pretty good shade-tree mechanic, but don't enjoy it like I used to. So I've grown a network of people I trust.

I've owned XJ8, X-Type and just purchased an STR.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:46 PM

Hi McJaguar ;-)

I'm looking forward to this! - hey, maybe we can gather a few more here shade-tree-mechanics+ and then sometime later this month meet up somewhere for a weekend afternoon to chit chat and put a face to the names?

Maybe we can shoot for the stars and get Ken Garff Jag to have us over for lunch while we're at it ;-)

Old 10-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

Hi McJaguar,

I'm getting a little too old to crawl under cars anymore> I do the easy stuff.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:13 PM

Me too... that's why I keep putting a few dollars away for a 2 post lift- I hope to get one installed here before the end of the year- I hate contortionizing<???> myself under cars - I've become too much of a fan of Wheeler Dealrers and seeing how much easier it makes everything with working on cars- I want this to be something I do for fun - not dislike-

I picked this up as a hobby after too many years of neglect - [neglect meaning doing other things to earn a living] and a lot has changed since I first started working on cars as a kid... before dirt was invented ;-) but now its challenging and most of the time - fun to do! Jiggy Jag's have been a favorite since I was a kid - now I finally own one WooHoo! More to come I hope-

Old 10-09-2012, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny's
Hi McJaguar ;-)

I'm looking forward to this! - hey, maybe we can gather a few more here shade-tree-mechanics+ and then sometime later this month meet up somewhere for a weekend afternoon to chit chat and put a face to the names?

Maybe we can shoot for the stars and get Ken Garff Jag to have us over for lunch while we're at it ;-)
I'm down.
I know the guys at Garff pretty well. They have my benz & my Jeep and I'm a classic Fiat guy, and they keep beggin' me to bring it down.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:04 PM

Then we can invite them for sure ;-) I presently only know Brian and Cameron at the parts counter- but the more the merrier!

Let's see if others get a chance to read this thread and chime in over the next few days-

I'm looking forward to this :-)

Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

I don't know the guys at Garff. I bought my X Type from them but I have done all the maintenance myself so far.
I usually get my parts from RockAuto or Gaudin Jaguar. How are Garff's prices for parts?

Old 10-10-2012, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by MRomanik
I don't know the guys at Garff. I bought my X Type from them but I have done all the maintenance myself so far.
I usually get my parts from RockAuto or Gaudin Jaguar. How are Garff's prices for parts?
A Dealer's prices on parts will always be higher than the prices you find online. What you have to ask yourself is who you'd rather support: a local "brick-and-mortar" business with local employees and which also provides other services, or an online wholesaler.

Don't let me sound like one of those fanatics about it: there are things I buy online. But when I do, I try to buy from an online seller that supports the enthusiast community (sponsoring this forum, for instance, would qualify) or who is actively engaged in the aftermarket performance-parts development.

But I try to show some loyalty to all of my vendors. I try to pick businesses that sell the same way I buy: quality products, with value and loyalty-based product-pricing, and high levels of service.

Brian and Cameron at Garff have at least two different prices they'll quote regularly. One is for those who show this loyalty, the other is not. I try to buy everything I can from them. Remember that there is a cost involved in them having an item on-hand when you need it. they are also both VERY quick to jump through a hoop or two to get something for someone they recognize as a "regular". This doesn't mean that you have to spend a lot of money with them, only that they get a high percentage of your parts expenditures.

I can't say the same thing about Garff's Jaguar service dept. The M/B service dept is GREAT, as is their JEEP service. But TWICE I've taken one of my Jags in for procedures that they failed to do satisfactorily. in each instance, they told me to pound sand (not in those words), and I ended-up paying again somewhere else.

I very quickly learned that Les Schwab does a better job at a simple alignment on an X-Type than Garff did, and at half the price.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 AM

I would definitely agree here about Brian and Cameron - I do always give them a call first when a part is needed - and they are quick to point out if they know it can be purchased remotely cheaper [as in XKS dot com or even eBay] but on a few occassions they have beaten out the competitors and justifiably deserve my business. While at others, they couldn't be further from reality... I had to buy Coil packs - just one at KG was 475$ far more than I paid for 6 that were in the exact same box from an online source [Jay Bond @ XKS]

I also agree, I really do enjoy supporting local businesses- i'd rather communicate face to face and build a relationship with someone of common interest than just never share in the fun - I'm sure you guys know what I mean.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 AM

KG meaning Ken Garf

Old 10-10-2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny's
I would definitely agree here about Brian and Cameron - I do always give them a call first when a part is needed - and they are quick to point out if they know it can be purchased remotely cheaper [as in XKS dot com or even eBay] but on a few occassions they have beaten out the competitors and justifiably deserve my business. While at others, they couldn't be further from reality... I had to buy Coil packs - just one at KG was 475$ far more than I paid for 6 that were in the exact same box from an online source [Jay Bond @ XKS]
Yup, I hear ya. there are some parts that they just will not be able to be competitive on. But for the most part, if they're within 20%, I'll buy from the Dealer. (unless it's a big-dollar item, in which case it needs to be alot closer than that. I'd rarely spend $2400, when I could get it for $2000)

Old 10-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

Gaudin Jaguar (JPLV) parts are about 20% off msrp but they charge for shipping. I try to buy as musch as possible in 1 order.

The following users liked this post:
Johnny's (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by MRomanik
Gaudin Jaguar (JPLV) parts are about 20% off msrp but they charge for shipping. I try to buy as musch as possible in 1 order.
is JPLV a member here? Is that a member name? 'cuz as I said above; I'm all about supporting the supporters too! :-)

Old 10-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

I think they are on the vender list.

Direct JPLV Porsche Parts.com

The following users liked this post:
Johnny's (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 10:36 PM

So as soon as I get my fuel injectors back from SD Faircloth at Jaguar Fuel Injector Service and assuming that was the last item to be corrected on the crappy idling / misfires... do either of you have an affordable body shop in the area that would work with me on paint? I can do much of the sanding and prep work, but I know the Pro's who do this day in and day out can do it better; I'd just like to do all that I can (car has lots of little dings dents, a few rust bubbles are starting to apear and several scratches from being neglected and what looks like mean ol shopping carts) and get more bang for the buck.

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2012, 11:43 PM

Alpine AutoBody does ALL of my bady & paint work. I don't think they'd work with you like that though. They have a reputation with very high-end cars, hot-rods and high-quality restorations.
I think MOST shops will either be like this, or focused on insurance work, which is also not a place you're likely to find this sort of "program".

want my best advice? Hit-up a paint-supply shop and ask THEM. They'll know a dozen guys who spray cars as a hobby, or are just starting their own shops.

I recommend Peirson's at 3330 S. Main in SLC.

Make sure you SEE a car they've sprayed before you contract with them.

The following 2 users liked this post by McJaguar:
Johnny's (10-11-2012), MRomanik (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 08:06 AM

Thank you - that seems like some very helpful advice!

I'll definitely remember that and keep it in mind as I get closer to the finish line :-)

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Salt Lake City - Jag Mechanics?