US Western AK, CA, NV, OR, UT, HI, WA, ID

Tragic fatal SS-100 crash in California Mille

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 12:27 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Tragic fatal SS-100 crash in California Mille

The crash occurred on Tuesday but I just saw the report in my local paper this morning. I combed the Web for more details but found little. Looks pretty badly bent in the photos. Driver died and passenger in critical condition. Here's the article in Autoweek:

www.autoweek.com/article/car-news/one-dead-california-mille

Granville

Last edited by 150FHC; 04-27-2017 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 04-27-2017, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

This is very sad. Running off the road into a large tree is about the worst scenario for any automotive collision. Early cars were not designed to absorb the impact, nor did they have passenger restraints engineered into their construction. An aftermarket seat belt seems to have contributed contributed to the passengers survival, who didn't have to contend with striking the steering wheel and column. Hard to say if it would have helped the driver. These cars are from the era where people thought it was better to be "thrown clear of the vehicle" during a serious collision. Which obviously is not a good approach.

I have commented on this subject before, that when you are driving a vintage car you are operating in the driver protection standards of that era, which unfortunately are pretty much non existent. We are so used to driving modern cars with deform-able energy absorbing structures and full passenger restraints and numerous air bags. In these, it is very rare when a driver or passenger is killed, and usually only in the most extreme impacts. This same situation occurs in the "Hot Rod" and "Street Rod" communities. Authentic early cars or their modern reproductions are just as lacking in occupant protection. I rode motorcycles for over thirty five years and I accepted the fact that there was inherent danger in the process. I did use the appropriate safety equipment. While these old cars are lovely, there is a similar acceptance of hazard in their use.

I extend my sympathies to the families for their loss. I also hope that this does not bring a storm of criticism upon the promoters of these types of rallies. These rallies are clearly described as touring events. There is no need or expectation of a speed contest. However it has been reported that several European events have been met with tragedy when some participants have decided that they are going to try to fill the shoes of legendary race and rally drivers. I hope that we will all keep safety in mind.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rivguy:
BobRoy (04-29-2017), Doug (04-27-2017)