Wheels / Tires, Suspension & handling Wheels and Tires. Discuss sizes, fitments, offsets, profiles etc etc Discuss roll bars, springs, shocks etc for your Jaguar
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best product to clean rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best product to clean rims

hey guys, i had a couple questions with regards to rims. i have some oem jaguar aluminum alloy rims and want to know the best product to clean them with in terms of getting off road tar, break dust and all that other crap that absolutely bugs the heck out of me that gets on them and makes them dirty.

i recently used some "goo-gone" and it worked pretty well. does anyone know if that's bad on the alloy...

also, i have 2 sets of wheels, but is it really worth it to change them for summer/winter? they are both alum alloy...pro/cons? i figure by this point, being that my jag has almost 200k miles, i mine as well drive it with the best looking wheels for as long as possible!

thanks in advance! this forum has been tremendous!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Tell the truth, I just use good ol' Formula 409 ($2.79 at Wal-Mart). All the other stuff that claims to repel brake dust, etc has just never worked for me...

BTW, my next brake job I am going to ceramic pads. I put ceramics on my Land Rover LR3 a few months ago and now I get virtually ZERO brake dust...

Old 12-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  19.3 KB

Good products for removing tar are Autoglym tar remover and or Tardis.....try googling them, they're excellent.

I'm sure the detailer may not approve, but in a push the edge of a cloth soaked in petrol will do the job even easier, closely followed by a thorough wash with hot soapy water.

If your alloys are good to start with, the best tip I can give for keeping them that way, is to wash them very regularly with hot soapy water and elbow grease, making sure to get into all the little nooks n crannies.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:32 AM

thanks guys. the one thing that bugs me is that the break dust/dirt will actually stain the rims permanently...i just hate that! chrome rims don't do that, do they?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 500

To be honest I've never had chrome rims so I couldn't comment, but, as stated, I believe if you look after your rims at least once or twice a week with a thorough wash the contaminants will never get timew to embed themselves and cause damage.......Its always worked for me

Old 12-28-2011, 10:44 AM

yeah i hear ya...i mean problem is, i travel a lot for work and honestly just sometimes don't have the extra time every week to clean like i should and wish i could...but, last time i washed them, i'd say 95% of all scuffs, dirt, grime etc came off. i've had them on for about 6 months and already have a couple tiny little nicks or dings from rocks or something...ticks ya right off!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Thread resurrection...
Research "Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner"

Getting good reviews out there....

Vince

Old 06-26-2012, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 466

Lol @ Clevername....

Vince, I hear ya, I've just used a full bottle over the last few weeks and have just got another one........It is the best product I''ve came across and used to date for sure.
Firstly and Importantly, its acid free and will not damage your alloys
Secondly, it goes on and looks to be a lime green colour ( with a nice smell too ) but as it attacks the brake dust and starts to break it down it changes to a bright purple colour, so you actually see it working.

To be honest, I generally just use warm soapy water and clean them often and my rims looks like new. Its only when I'm lazy that I use the Sonax Full effect....lol
You can actually apply it, leave it for a few minutes and then simply pressure wash your rims clean, although I still find I, personally still use a wash mitt and get into all the crevices etc.........Its a me thing....lol

I highly recommend Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner!!

Old 06-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Dawn liquid dishsoap in water

Old 07-02-2012, 02:19 PM
vs2
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use Meguiars Wheel Brightener diluted 4:1 with RODI water in a 5l garden pump sprayer. Let sit for 40 secs and rinse with pressure washer. Comes out perfect every time.

I wash my car at least once a week and want the simplest, quickest and most efficient way possible to clean the car which is a cheap RO system, then through de-ionizer to a 200l tank on a level switch then to pressure washer (via 3 way valve - tep or RODI water) After three years on same filters and deionizer resin I'm still at zero ppm and never used a chamois and never had a water spot.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vs2
I use Meguiars Wheel Brightener diluted 4:1 with RODI water in a 5l garden pump sprayer. Let sit for 40 secs and rinse with pressure washer. Comes out perfect every time.

I wash my car at least once a week and want the simplest, quickest and most efficient way possible to clean the car which is a cheap RO system, then through de-ionizer to a 200l tank on a level switch then to pressure washer (via 3 way valve - tep or RODI water) After three years on same filters and deionizer resin I'm still at zero ppm and never used a chamois and never had a water spot.
How cheap is the RO system you are refering to? Am assuming you mean a reverse osmosis filter of some type?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:26 PM
vs2

I just got a cheapo from this site in $NZ. I'm sure you will find the same on ebay. Like I said the filters have lasted 3 years and I'm still at zero ppm. You need the de-ionizer as well to get zero solids. I use a 5 micron prefilter from the hose connection 1st before going into the RO unit, then through the deionizer before filling the tank.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Sear...ch_suggested=0

Attached Thumbnails best product to clean rims-img_0009-custom-.jpg   best product to clean rims-img_0010-custom-.jpg  
Old 07-06-2012, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Well Vince, I was recently given the opportunity to try Sonax Full Effect.

All I can say, is that I am impressed.

Used it on a car that has not been cleaned this year!

With minimal effort, the wheels are now bright and shiny again.

It behaved exactly as outlined.

Downside, is that I now need to clean the rest of the car, it looks kind of odd now.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (07-15-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vs2
I just got a cheapo from this site in $NZ. I'm sure you will find the same on ebay. Like I said the filters have lasted 3 years and I'm still at zero ppm. You need the de-ionizer as well to get zero solids. I use a 5 micron prefilter from the hose connection 1st before going into the RO unit, then through the deionizer before filling the tank.

TradeMe.co.nz - RO for sale, New Zealand
That's quite the setup. My wife and neighbors already think I am obsessed. I install this setup and their fears will be confirmed. Is your water supply municipal or from a well?

Old 07-11-2012, 02:22 PM
vs2

I have town water and its about 150ppm. To have a completely spot free finish you need 10 ppm or less.

The system works so well I now wash and rinse the cars woth RODI water and do all the windows on the house as well. (got 150ft 1/4" hose on the pressure washer reel) I can't believe I'm still at 0 ppm on the original filters and resin after 3 years. Its been a great investment.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Translator

Downside, is that I now need to clean the rest of the car, it looks kind of odd now.
errrrr
Sorry bout that....

lol
Vince

Old 07-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vs2
I have town water and its about 150ppm. To have a completely spot free finish you need 10 ppm or less.

The system works so well I now wash and rinse the cars woth RODI water and do all the windows on the house as well. (got 150ft 1/4" hose on the pressure washer reel) I can't believe I'm still at 0 ppm on the original filters and resin after 3 years. Its been a great investment.

So, no need to dry the car as it does not leave water spots then. Good system.