Wheels / Tires, Suspension & handling Wheels and Tires. Discuss sizes, fitments, offsets, profiles etc etc Discuss roll bars, springs, shocks etc for your Jaguar
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had mechanic replace struts,mounts,sway bars tie rods, and lower ball joints but....

Old 11-21-2012, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had mechanic replace struts,mounts,sway bars tie rods, and lower ball joints but....

It feels worse than it did before.
I feel every bump on the road. I feel my wheels jumping up and down on the street.
On smooth surfaces I can feel how uneven the road is and how unperfect the road is. It feels like something is going to fall apart. It even sounds like it is.
It feels like I have no suspension.
I talked to the mechanic he said that the parts might be faulty, and he did not test drive it.

He also said that it might be my control arms. I know the ball joints are cracked in the upper control arm but it has no play in it at the moment. He himself said it was fine for about another 6 months.

I took this car 2 weeks ago on a 3 hour ride and tonight, I was afraid to take it 3 minutes down the street. I dont think the parts might be faulty. I think the work might be faulty.

Sway bars, front struts and mounts came from napa. rear struts and tie rods came from car quest.
I had to take the same 3 hour trip tomorrow and I simply knew that if I did I would be in an accident.
What do you think?
What can be done if he cant do the job right even if we agree that it was a mechanic error?

Old 11-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

The S-type has the "DEWS" chassis, same as the Lincoln LS, for which the bushings can be install upside down. The bounce you feel could be heavier/firmer struts than you were used to or the car is aligned wrong. You need to hire a proper mechanic that will test drive the car before work and again after. That is just a proper repair proceedure. I would find another S-type and compare the difference and then proceed with the proper repair center. You cannot cut corners here as some aftermarket parts are not car specific.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:12 PM
GGG
Received 16,760 Likes on 12,149 Posts

Originally Posted by mega
It feels worse than it did before................................
There's three statements in your post that would have me worried:

1. he did not test drive it
2. the ball joints are cracked in the upper control arm
3. He himself said it was fine for about another 6 months

Are you able to have an experienced Jaguar mechanic inspect the vehicle?

Graham

Old 11-23-2012, 03:47 AM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Aahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Had mechanic replace struts,mounts,sway bars tie rods, and lower ball joints but....-zoolander-mugatu-crazy-pills.jpg

Seriously, it's hard to cheap these fine vehicles. Best of Luck!!!

Regards.