XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Troubleshooting Noises (Is Your Jaguar Trying to Tell You Something?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 12:03 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Troubleshooting Noises (Is Your Jaguar Trying to Tell You Something?)

Here is a cut and paste of an informative (and at times humorous) article posted on the net by autohausaz.com Just thought I'd share it.

Jaguar Noise Troubleshooting:

Troubleshooting those weird noises coming from your Jaguar can help you determine needed repairs. It's important that you listen to what your car is trying to tell you.
Although many people still use the old broomstick-held-to-the-ear method of zeroing in on noises, the best method these days is a stethoscope. Indispensable in finding the source of a sound, it's also a lot easier to place it where you want it than the clunky end of a broomstick.
Here are a few general guidelines to what your Jaguar's noises might mean:

BANG: A sharp, startling sound, like a rifle shot, means you're dealing with the dreaded backfire. You'll probably be able to trace this to something that's causing a rich air/fuel mixture.
In the past you might have zeroed in on a heavy carb float, but today think about faulty signals from coolant temp or O2 sensors. The catalytic converter may also be damaged.
Another possibility is a clogged monolithic converter blowing through. This will only occur once and will be accompanied by an amazing increase in power. If your car has air injection, perhaps the diverter valve is no longer diverting.

BOOM: A hollow, low-frequency sound/sensation, this makes you feel as if you're riding inside a metal drum and the atmospheric pressure is rapidly changing between positive and negative.
On rear wheel-drive cars, check out the driveshaft and its u-joints because if it's spinning out-of-true, it will cause waves that push up on the floor of your car.

BUZZ: An annoying "bzzzzzzzzz" sound, like a trapped insect, can usually be traced to unfortunate positioning of interior trim parts. Have somebody else drive while you press, pry and pound on every likely spot.

CHIRP: This sounds like birds are nesting under your hood. You can probably blame a maladjusted or misaligned belt, but don't ignore the idler pulley. Or, it could just be your tires when you hit second gear.

CLANG or CLANK: This sound couldn't possibly be emitted by any light, flimsy parts. It's coming from a heavy, essential component, such as a set of gears. A good example is the sound a bad rear axle pinion bearing makes when you drop the transmission into Drive, then Reverse.

CLICK or CLACK: This sounds like 007 working the slide of his Beretta automatic. When in an engine, it's typically repeated rhythmically.
With OHV, perhaps a stuck lifter is allowing clearance in the pushrod/rocker valve, or maybe a solid lifter is just out of adjustment. On carbureted cars, check out the fuel pump before you start opening up the motor.
When emanating from the nether regions of the front end during a turn, this sound may be traced to an outboard CV joint.

CLUNK: A heavy bumping sound, softer than a clang, usually indicates you should look at suspension bushings, including shock or strut mounts. Or how about a loose strut gland nut?

FLAPPING: If it's not due to a colony of bats under the hood, maybe a belt's coming apart. Fan interference is another possibility. Regardless, this is a visual inspection sort of thing.

GRINDING: A horrible, torturous sound, like a bad dentist would make while working with obsolete equipment, means something's going awry - and fast.
If it occurs when the brakes are applied, either the linings are gone or you've got one of those unpleasantly-aggressive friction material formulas that tend to eat rotors.

GROAN: Something's dry, probably a suspension component. If it's metal, it's going to break really soon. If it's rubber, try some silicone lube.

GRUNT: Again, a dry joint somewhere in the underpinnings is likely. If it's in the stoppers, suspect rear drum shoes contaminated with brake fluid or gear lube from a defunct axle seal.

HISS: If it's continuous and changes with rpms, it may be normal belt noise. Otherwise, a slow leak in the cooling system is likely. A black light will help you find this.

HUM: We don't mean what the radio does between stations, but the noise a differential or wheel bearing makes. If it responds to acceleration/deceleration, suspect the differential. Then look into the bearings. Unfortunately, it's often very difficult to tell which side (or even which end) the hum's coming from.

KNOCK: Like knuckles on a wooden door, this sound is deep and hollow. Often it's a warning that something important (and expensive) is about to let go.
It's unfortunate that a loose pin sounds pretty much the same as a defunct rod bearing, but with a little patience you should be able to determine what's at fault.
First, check idle oil pressure even if you have to screw in a mechanical gauge. If it's low, you can bias your decision toward bearings.
Next, listen with your stethoscope. A rod bearing makes more noise at the oil pan than elsewhere, and a wrist pin more racket up on the water jacket. Hold RPMs at 2500, jerk the throttle open and let it snap closed. This will accentuate rod knock, whereas pin noise won't change very much.
Now's the time to starting shorting out cylinders. A bad pin will quiet down, but a rod knock will double its cadence.
Finally, you can pull the pan for a visual inspection. If the bearings are good, you know you've got a pin problem.

PING: Sort of like little ball bearings being poured on a tin roof, this sound is detonation (aka spark knock) - a phenomenon in which the air/fuel charge explodes violently instead of burning smoothly.
There are many potential causes here from clogged EGR passages and overheating to excessive spark advance and, with spark knock suppression, a defunct detonation sensor. Hook up your timing light then tap on the engine near the sensor to see if the spark retards.

POP: This sounds like a shotgun being fired through a mattress. It usually means the engine's coughing back through the intake.
A sticking or leaking valve is a distinct possibility, as is jumped valve timing, particularly with a belt-driven OHC.
Then there's ignition, which may be firing way too early due to a twisted distributor, cap/rotor/wire problems, a faulty position sensor or a breakdown in the module.
Also, if your Jaguar's running quite lean, opening the throttle to lots of cold air can induce this reaction.

RATTLE: They didn't coin the term "rattle trap" for nothing, you know. People have been fighting this annoying noise since the automobile was invented.
Thanks to plastics, better rubbers and more highly engineered fasteners, rattles are less prevalent than they once were. But you'll still get them, usually in the undercarriage somewhere. Likely culprits include exhaust system parts, calipers or loose brake pads.

ROAR: If it's not something obvious like a blown exhaust system, maybe the transmission is never shifting into high or overdrive.
With a manual transmission, the clutch might be slipping. Fan clutches usually fail by never engaging, not the opposite, but it's still a possibility.
If it's general road noise, you could switch to less aggressive tires or add undercoating to your Jaguar.

RUMBLE: While a pleasant enough throaty sound when it's from a free-flowing exhaust system, it can easily cross over into the unacceptable sound range. But don't choke the power down with an overly restrictive cheap muffler. For tire and road noise, see "ROAR".

SCRAPING: Something like "jeet-jeet-jeet-jeet" that speeds up as the car gathers speed probably means an object of one sort or another is contacting the driveshaft, possibly an exhaust shield or hanger or the parking brake cable. Your brake system, especially drum hardware, is also a distinct possibility.

SCREECH: "SQUEAL" taken to the max. See "SQUEAL".

SIZZLING: Like the sound of bacon frying, this is usually only jaguarble with the engine off. Oil may be leaking onto the exhaust manifold or a minor coolant seepage may be occurring.

SQUEAL: This sound is usually related to brakes and belts. On the former, maybe you're down to the pad wear indicators. Or the discs and semi-metallic linings aren't getting along due to poor rotor finishing or washing, an assembly error, a troublesome friction formula or the like. Squealing is certainly common in disc brakes, but clunking can also occur on initial application if the shoes are loosely mounted.
In the case of belts, check if they are loose, worn or contaminated.

TAP: Much the same as a click, sort of like beating on the intake manifold with a screwdriver blade, this is usually valvetrain-related. Think about stuck lifters or an adjustment that provides too much lash.

WHINE: Not what an impatient 3-year old does but just as annoying. This is a hard one to pin down, but it's apt to come from worn ball or roller bearings, mismatched gears, too light a lube in a manual gearbox (ATF, maybe?) or alternator bushings getting ready to go.

WHIR: The sound made by happy mechanicals. It's one of the few noises you probably shouldn't worry about.

WHISTLE: Usually occurring at higher speeds, it's probably wind noise. But do double check if the latches and tumblehome are properly adjusted. Are the body gaskets in good shape?

The following 6 users liked this post by BrentGardner:
cly (07-23-2019), FabCat (08-26-2015), Harry Peter Rose (04-20-2021), intltrade0823 (06-25-2018), Rudedog (10-12-2017), shekellorie (09-23-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-26-2015, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

My "tumblehome" is adjusted just fine thank you very much.

And as for whether or not my "strut gland nut" is loose or not, well, what I do on my Saturday nights is my own business...

The following users liked this post:
soprecious (03-16-2019)
Old 11-30-2016, 09:40 AM
Jip
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the comprehensive list of common sounds a Jaguar may or may not make.
How about the momentary 'mmmmmmm' sound coming from under the dash when I turn the ignition on or off. An '05 XK8, by the way.

'Cheers' Jip

Last edited by Jip; 11-30-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Lucielle (09-03-2021)
Old 11-30-2016, 10:06 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by Box:
eliotb (04-18-2024), Junkyardjohn (01-29-2023)
Old 01-24-2017, 12:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi, none of the noises matched mine. XJ6 1994, when trying to start car, its not the normal starting sound its kind of whining but won't start...Any idea's

Old 01-25-2017, 07:37 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a little bark/whine sound between shifts around 2500-3500 rpms
especially during 2-3 shifts and 3-4 shifts. It does it during up shifts and downshifts

anyone knows what this is?

Old 05-23-2017, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkm210
Hi, none of the noises matched mine. XJ6 1994, when trying to start car, its not the normal starting sound its kind of whining but won't start...Any idea's
sounds like a faulty starter motor.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:00 AM

I have a humming/thrumming sound in my 2005 VDP that appears between 80-100 KPH. The car has 125,000kms on the clock. I bought it in an estate sale and it had been idle for about 2yrs.
I've had the driveshaft checked and my mechanic says everything looks fine.

I recently downloaded the service manual for the car, and in reviewing the driveline system, I see that there are "balancing bolts". Could this be the source of my problem? Could the driveshaft be out ot balance?

Old 10-11-2017, 10:34 AM
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by abear
I have a humming/thrumming sound in my 2005 VDP that appears between 80-100 KPH. The car has 125,000kms on the clock. I bought it in an estate sale and it had been idle for about 2yrs.
I've had the driveshaft checked and my mechanic says everything looks fine.

I recently downloaded the service manual for the car, and in reviewing the driveline system, I see that there are "balancing bolts". Could this be the source of my problem? Could the driveshaft be out ot balance?

I've had similar noises of unknown origin on "03 X Type. I have found some by having a friend drive near me on left and right, slowing or speeding up to get front to back position on car to narrow down component. So far have replaced both rear wheel bearing - that was an obvious one as ***** had actually come out! The rear diff is whining, fluid level good. I think this is wait until I can't stand it anymore before replacing. Still trying to figure noise in front half, transfer case, tranny, wheel bearing etc....

Last edited by wforslund3; 10-11-2017 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Typo
The following 2 users liked this post by wforslund3:
abear (10-12-2017), IXLLER8 (05-13-2020)
Old 10-17-2017, 10:57 AM

Just heard from an independent Jag mechanic re. my noise problem. He says the right rear axle is bent.

Anyone had this problem? Why would this cause a droning/hum only at 80-100 kph? I would think if it causes a noise it would be constant!

Old 11-09-2017, 01:28 PM

Further to the humming/thrumming noise in my 2005 VDP:

Problem unsolved! Since a bent axle is rather rare, I got a second opinion from another Jag indie. He determined that there was no problem with either the driveshaft (prop shaft), nor the axle. The problem said he, is that the rear rims are bent. Replaced. Didn't fix.

The car now has 127,000 kms on the clock, most of which were driven at between 80-100kph, the exact speed at which noise appears. I suspect it might be a worn tranny gear.
While the transmission shifts as it should, I'm thinking of doing a complete flush of the tranny fluid because of the age and kms on the car.

Any thoughts on whether this would solve the noise problem?

Old 11-10-2017, 04:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

What happens if you keep the speed the same but use different gears?

Old 11-10-2017, 06:16 AM

Haven't tried that but thanks for the idea. Heavy snowfall here today but will be gone by Monday and I'll give it a shot.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by abear
Further to the humming/thrumming noise in my 2005 VDP:

Problem unsolved! Since a bent axle is rather rare, I got a second opinion from another Jag indie. He determined that there was no problem with either the driveshaft (prop shaft), nor the axle. The problem said he, is that the rear rims are bent. Replaced. Didn't fix.

The car now has 127,000 kms on the clock, most of which were driven at between 80-100kph, the exact speed at which noise appears. I suspect it might be a worn tranny gear.
While the transmission shifts as it should, I'm thinking of doing a complete flush of the tranny fluid because of the age and kms on the car.

Any thoughts on whether this would solve the noise problem?
abear
Did you resolve this issue. I have the same symptoms.
!999 XK8 150k Km

Old 08-10-2018, 09:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

abear, 4betta,
I don't know if you solved your problem, but I have solved mine. Turned out to be the propshaft. Looked very good, no signs of fallen off weights, well-functioning u-joint etc. But switching with a used part (complete shaft from a salvage yard) solved the droning at 80 km/h (and also at 110 km/h and 140 km/h, the latter being the topspeed of the car. Any faster felt like breaking it in pieces).
I went through all kind of advices, including new tyres, several balancing sessions, straightening the rims, new Hardy disks, even another differential with no result) swap the proshaft solved this matter. Hope this experience can help you.

The following 2 users liked this post by jaap:
Bill400 (07-14-2020), IXLLER8 (05-13-2020)
Old 08-11-2018, 06:40 PM

Thanks, will look into that. My noise is intermittant though. Deffinatly speed related but random.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

Have to remember that years ago engines did not last as they do today -- when a Jaguar engine died .. unless it was reasonably new there was no value in the vehicle. The ability to pick up a decent used engine is not like today. Also -- there were many many more guys able to RR engines and do conversions. Chevy V8's were everywhere, cheap ... and actually more reliable and powerful vs the stock engine.

The converted cars were still basically worthless .... very little demand.

In the early 80's I had an XJS that needed new heads at 50k ... not unusual. All the sixes needed head gaskets if you looked at the coolant wrong. Many HG deaths

Slippery1 (08-21-2021)
Old 07-31-2019, 02:45 PM
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Two things:

You say the light comes on intermittently. The way the alert should work is this: It resets every time the car is started. It will stay on until the engine is off. If it goes on and off, it sounds like an electrical problem. I'm not saying you don't need brakes, but a visual inspection is called for.

Brake rotors do not always need replacement. If they are below, at,or near minimum thickness, they should be replaced. If they can be turned, fine. But many manufacturers have sped'd thinner rotors for less weight and better mileages so that they can't be turned. However, whether you use new, turned, or non-turned rotors, they need a non-directional finish. This is so the pads are seated properly. Pads need heat to finish the curing process. A mirror finish does not provide sufficient heat, leading to brake noise and/or reduced braking.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:06 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BrentGardner
Here is a cut and paste of an informative (and at times humorous) article posted on the net by autohausaz.com Just thought I'd share it.

Jaguar Noise Troubleshooting:

Troubleshooting those weird noises coming from your Jaguar can help you determine needed repairs. It's important that you listen to what your car is trying to tell you.
Although many people still use the old broomstick-held-to-the-ear method of zeroing in on noises, the best method these days is a stethoscope. Indispensable in finding the source of a sound, it's also a lot easier to place it where you want it than the clunky end of a broomstick.
Here are a few general guidelines to what your Jaguar's noises might mean:

BANG: A sharp, startling sound, like a rifle shot, means you're dealing with the dreaded backfire. You'll probably be able to trace this to something that's causing a rich air/fuel mixture.
In the past you might have zeroed in on a heavy carb float, but today think about faulty signals from coolant temp or O2 sensors. The catalytic converter may also be damaged.
Another possibility is a clogged monolithic converter blowing through. This will only occur once and will be accompanied by an amazing increase in power. If your car has air injection, perhaps the diverter valve is no longer diverting.

BOOM: A hollow, low-frequency sound/sensation, this makes you feel as if you're riding inside a metal drum and the atmospheric pressure is rapidly changing between positive and negative.
On rear wheel-drive cars, check out the driveshaft and its u-joints because if it's spinning out-of-true, it will cause waves that push up on the floor of your car.

BUZZ: An annoying "bzzzzzzzzz" sound, like a trapped insect, can usually be traced to unfortunate positioning of interior trim parts. Have somebody else drive while you press, pry and pound on every likely spot.

CHIRP: This sounds like birds are nesting under your hood. You can probably blame a maladjusted or misaligned belt, but don't ignore the idler pulley. Or, it could just be your tires when you hit second gear.

CLANG or CLANK: This sound couldn't possibly be emitted by any light, flimsy parts. It's coming from a heavy, essential component, such as a set of gears. A good example is the sound a bad rear axle pinion bearing makes when you drop the transmission into Drive, then Reverse.

CLICK or CLACK: This sounds like 007 working the slide of his Beretta automatic. When in an engine, it's typically repeated rhythmically.
With OHV, perhaps a stuck lifter is allowing clearance in the pushrod/rocker valve, or maybe a solid lifter is just out of adjustment. On carbureted cars, check out the fuel pump before you start opening up the motor.
When emanating from the nether regions of the front end during a turn, this sound may be traced to an outboard CV joint.

CLUNK: A heavy bumping sound, softer than a clang, usually indicates you should look at suspension bushings, including shock or strut mounts. Or how about a loose strut gland nut?

FLAPPING: If it's not due to a colony of bats under the hood, maybe a belt's coming apart. Fan interference is another possibility. Regardless, this is a visual inspection sort of thing.

GRINDING: A horrible, torturous sound, like a bad dentist would make while working with obsolete equipment, means something's going awry - and fast.
If it occurs when the brakes are applied, either the linings are gone or you've got one of those unpleasantly-aggressive friction material formulas that tend to eat rotors.

GROAN: Something's dry, probably a suspension component. If it's metal, it's going to break really soon. If it's rubber, try some silicone lube.

GRUNT: Again, a dry joint somewhere in the underpinnings is likely. If it's in the stoppers, suspect rear drum shoes contaminated with brake fluid or gear lube from a defunct axle seal.

HISS: If it's continuous and changes with rpms, it may be normal belt noise. Otherwise, a slow leak in the cooling system is likely. A black light will help you find this.

HUM: We don't mean what the radio does between stations, but the noise a differential or wheel bearing makes. If it responds to acceleration/deceleration, suspect the differential. Then look into the bearings. Unfortunately, it's often very difficult to tell which side (or even which end) the hum's coming from.

KNOCK: Like knuckles on a wooden door, this sound is deep and hollow. Often it's a warning that something important (and expensive) is about to let go.
It's unfortunate that a loose pin sounds pretty much the same as a defunct rod bearing, but with a little patience you should be able to determine what's at fault.
First, check idle oil pressure even if you have to screw in a mechanical gauge. If it's low, you can bias your decision toward bearings.
Next, listen with your stethoscope. A rod bearing makes more noise at the oil pan than elsewhere, and a wrist pin more racket up on the water jacket. Hold RPMs at 2500, jerk the throttle open and let it snap closed. This will accentuate rod knock, whereas pin noise won't change very much.
Now's the time to starting shorting out cylinders. A bad pin will quiet down, but a rod knock will double its cadence.
Finally, you can pull the pan for a visual inspection. If the bearings are good, you know you've got a pin problem.

PING: Sort of like little ball bearings being poured on a tin roof, this sound is detonation (aka spark knock) - a phenomenon in which the air/fuel charge explodes violently instead of burning smoothly.
There are many potential causes here from clogged EGR passages and overheating to excessive spark advance and, with spark knock suppression, a defunct detonation sensor. Hook up your timing light then tap on the engine near the sensor to see if the spark retards.

POP: This sounds like a shotgun being fired through a mattress. It usually means the engine's coughing back through the intake.
A sticking or leaking valve is a distinct possibility, as is jumped valve timing, particularly with a belt-driven OHC.
Then there's ignition, which may be firing way too early due to a twisted distributor, cap/rotor/wire problems, a faulty position sensor or a breakdown in the module.
Also, if your Jaguar's running quite lean, opening the throttle to lots of cold air can induce this reaction.

RATTLE: They didn't coin the term "rattle trap" for nothing, you know. People have been fighting this annoying noise since the automobile was invented.
Thanks to plastics, better rubbers and more highly engineered fasteners, rattles are less prevalent than they once were. But you'll still get them, usually in the undercarriage somewhere. Likely culprits include exhaust system parts, calipers or loose brake pads.

ROAR: If it's not something obvious like a blown exhaust system, maybe the transmission is never shifting into high or overdrive.
With a manual transmission, the clutch might be slipping. Fan clutches usually fail by never engaging, not the opposite, but it's still a possibility.
If it's general road noise, you could switch to less aggressive tires or add undercoating to your Jaguar.

RUMBLE: While a pleasant enough throaty sound when it's from a free-flowing exhaust system, it can easily cross over into the unacceptable sound range. But don't choke the power down with an overly restrictive cheap muffler. For tire and road noise, see "ROAR".

SCRAPING: Something like "jeet-jeet-jeet-jeet" that speeds up as the car gathers speed probably means an object of one sort or another is contacting the driveshaft, possibly an exhaust shield or hanger or the parking brake cable. Your brake system, especially drum hardware, is also a distinct possibility.

SCREECH: "SQUEAL" taken to the max. See "SQUEAL".

SIZZLING: Like the sound of bacon frying, this is usually only jaguarble with the engine off. Oil may be leaking onto the exhaust manifold or a minor coolant seepage may be occurring.

SQUEAL: This sound is usually related to brakes and belts. On the former, maybe you're down to the pad wear indicators. Or the discs and semi-metallic linings aren't getting along due to poor rotor finishing or washing, an assembly error, a troublesome friction formula or the like. Squealing is certainly common in disc brakes, but clunking can also occur on initial application if the shoes are loosely mounted.
In the case of belts, check if they are loose, worn or contaminated.

TAP: Much the same as a click, sort of like beating on the intake manifold with a screwdriver blade, this is usually valvetrain-related. Think about stuck lifters or an adjustment that provides too much lash.

WHINE: Not what an impatient 3-year old does but just as annoying. This is a hard one to pin down, but it's apt to come from worn ball or roller bearings, mismatched gears, too light a lube in a manual gearbox (ATF, maybe?) or alternator bushings getting ready to go.

WHIR: The sound made by happy mechanicals. It's one of the few noises you probably shouldn't worry about.

WHISTLE: Usually occurring at higher speeds, it's probably wind noise. But do double check if the latches and tumblehome are properly adjusted. Are the body gaskets in good shape?
Where did you buy a stethoscope?

Old 10-21-2019, 08:32 AM
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Automobile Stethoscope

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting Noises (Is Your Jaguar Trying to Tell You Something?)