Wheels / Tires, Suspension & handling Wheels and Tires. Discuss sizes, fitments, offsets, profiles etc etc Discuss roll bars, springs, shocks etc for your Jaguar
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tread wear & rotating

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 242 Posts
Default Tread wear & rotating

My car came new with Goodyear Eagle Sports. Not a bad tire and seems to be wearing well. The inside right rear tread is wearing quicker .... about twice the rate .... than the best wearing part of the rest of the treads and I allow that to it being the primary drive wheel (not unusual). After 5K miles and my measurements I figure that wheel will last 20K miles with my driving. Not bad, actually good. But if I rotate I might get 40K miles. I usually rotate my tires even though the manufacturers recommend against it. I can't find Jaguar's stance on tire rotation. What's the feeling on the forum? Is there something special about the Jaguar that would discourage tire rotation?

Old 06-10-2017, 09:34 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by mleskovar
.... I usually rotate my tires even though the manufacturers recommend against it. I can't find Jaguar's stance on tire rotation. .....
Here's the relevant section from TOPIx for US specification 2017 XF. I've highlighted the advice on rotation with a red box:

A simple and unequivocal statement against rotation which also appears in all other Jaguar model handbooks.

The reason is probably because (certainly in Europe) many Jaguars are supplied fitted with directional tyres. In addition, some models (like mine) have different size wheels/tyres front and rear making the traditional diagonal rotation impossible.

I always used to rotate my tyres but stoped as my last three Jaguars have had different size wheels/tyres front and rear. If that wasn't the case, I'd still be doing it.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Tread wear & rotating-x260-tyres.jpg  
Old 06-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
....I always used to rotate my tyres but stoped as my last three Jaguars have had different size wheels/tyres front and rear. If that wasn't the case, I'd still be doing it.....
Thanks. My last car was my first with staggered rims and it was actually nice not to bother rotating them but the wear/replacement cycle bothered me. I was replacing the rears twice as much as the fronts and the tire wear on all the corners was always out of sync. Anyone know why car manufacturers don't like tire rotation? Tire manufacturers won't warrant tires for wear if you don't rotate them, and won't warrant staggered for wear at all, and they should be the experts. I'll be rotating these. Anyone know why they don't want you to rotate tires?

Old 06-17-2017, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 304 Likes on 237 Posts

It is like GGG stated when they go for staggered setups. It is always nice to maximize the tire widths for high performance. For others they want to get the most life out and then you rotate them if the tires are the same size, otherwise you do not and realize you have a high performance setup and the only way to change is buy new rims...