X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 xtype overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 xtype overheating?

Hey guys, Got an 05 x type 3.0 awd. 115,000 on it. Wife took trip 2 hours away and back last week all highway. Couple days after she gets back, She calls says fans wont go off. Check a couple days later and had to add almost a gallon of anti freeze to the reservoir. Cant see any leaks except where it looks like its blowing out of the overflow port. Never had to add more than I pint to it in the 4 years shes had it. Don't want to think head gasket so maybe thermostat stuck? Gauge does not fluctuate at all either. Any suggestions will be helpful!
Thanks

Old 07-02-2014, 07:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

10 LImited, the first thing I would check is the nozzle on the back side of the overflow bottle to see if that is still firmly attached to the bottle. This is known for getting bumped and cracking, leading to a leaking issue only when the car is up at temp. After that, I would look down on top of the tranny to see if you spot any pooling coolant there. If you see coolant there, then most likely you have a bad water pump. After that, see if you have coolant coming out the corners of the bumper. If so, then you problem is either a cracked radiator or your thermostat has some issue.

If you are interested, I live just south of you in California. If you want to come down and we can look at it together, let me know. I have members coming down all the time and hopefully we can figure out what your problem is and give you atleast a temporary fix.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up x-type overheating

I have an 04 x type , the engine light came on in the summer on a 100Degree day. I never had a Problem Before that. So I was in the engine bay and noticed one of the top 3/8 hose mount was cracked. well upon further inspection it just Broke off. So I put a Brand new expansion tank on and the temp. Gauge is Half way all the time, the motor smells like its running hot though I have not used much new coolant in it. I have ordered the electrical sensor switch, but notice while motor is running and fans were on the r/s Fan was laboring and was not spinning at the same rpms. The motor is 3.0 with 73,000 orig miles on it .I absolutely love the car. Can anybody please offer some suggestions as I feel unless its major, I will replace parts. Also I have squeezed the hoses while the motor is running and I do believe its not circulating properly. But I drive it in 70 Degree weather the temp Gauge is Mid way also I do hear the fans come on. The last thing I noticed is I opened the Hood after Driving the car and Coolant in the expansion tank had Accumulated to being full, any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by Bacarac; 09-22-2014 at 02:09 PM. Reason: improper spelling
Old 09-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Bacarac, after letting the car sit all night, adjust the A/C controls to have the dash fan on as fast as it will go and then dial the temp to as low as it will go. With the engine running (and them motor still cold), open the hood and lean over the radiator some. Are you getting a nice strong breeze in your face or are you simply getting a nice gentle breeze? If you are getting the gentle breeze, odds are your fan module is going and you will need to replace that. If this is the case, then you also need to know what month your car was made. If it was made in/before March 2004, then you need the old style fan controller (or the new style with the adapter harness) or if it was made after that time, you will simply need the new style fan controller. Very rarely is it a fan that is failing. If you need more info on this, let me know.

The following users liked this post:
XtypeChris (09-26-2014)