X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 Factory Nav

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: '08 Factory Nav

Factory Nav and aftermarket kind of don't go hand in hand.

You can get some nice aftermarket setups with a custom install fitted right in place of radio that is far cheaper than getting the factory stuff.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

I know it's not the same, but you'll have to go with an aftermarket unit, which is going to end up being better anyways. You can get a really nice Pioneer with DVD player and MP3 capabilities as well as bluetooth for 1/4 the price of what you'd pay for the original unit to be fitted. The labor alone at the dealership is $4k.......YES $4K! Then you have to consider that you have to buy all of the navigation stuff. There is plenty of space there for a double din though, so don't be discouraged.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Old 04-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

+1 on biggies suggestion ^. That's the way i would go too econjay, except i like Alpine lol. The Car's value won't depreciate if you do a clean install with a new radio...heck, add new amplifier, component speakers, and it'll sound alot better too. All the best of luck!

Old 04-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Beautiful pics, both schmiidty and racerx's, but man does it look good stock. Then again, the stock doesn't play DVD's or MP3's, so bummer.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Hey pal, the pics of that navi aren't mine, they are buddy's(racerx82). I believe his screen does tilt. As for the enthusiasm, that'll go away if and only if you're car starts acting up or you get a nice repair bill. Other than that, the enthusiasm will NEVER go away.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does that have Nav on it? It's extra right, an add on?

Old 04-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, i might have to do this in mine now. I am willing to bet the stock speakers would blow quickly though

Old 04-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: Grim001

Does that have Nav on it? It's extra right, an add on?
Not extra, it comes with the unit.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright boys and girls I have your fix. For those looking for that stock look to match that silver/gray plastic you have on your radio now a company by the name of metra has your fix. Here are pics of what the dash kit you can get from any local car stereo shop that carries metra brands. I believe the number was 99-9500 for what one you'd need. Unfortunately they don't have a wiring harness out yet but you can get that from nexxia.co/uk or whatever it is. Total your looking at less than 100 bucks for all the stuff to do it with antenna adapter!
+6

As for those people wanting navigation and the avic d6, you'll be hard pressed to get a good deal on this radio and them actually have it in stock. My supplier had them and than sold all out and they didn't know not when but if they'd get any more of them in. The next week or 2 I called and they got 34 of them in but yet again they had no idea what the future held as far as getting more. Make sure if you order something online that you physically speak to someone!

Old 04-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

Oh yeah and as far as add-on, if your speaking of racerx's jensen double din, yes it does have the add-on feature of the navigation. My cost on that is somewhere between 2-300...You can get some nice jensen/phase linear for actually less than the avic d3s but if you can get a d3 for around 700 go with the pioneer as long as it comes with bluetooth adapter, ipod adapter and wireless remote. There is a pretty nice phase linear unit that is double din but isn't navigation ready or anything. The unit is phase linear uv8020 and your local circuitcity should have one on their wall. My buddy in Michigan just called me to ask about that unit since they had just gotten one in. He liked it and I think shipped that unit would go for around $320 shipped. I think I installed 3 different head units from audiovox/jensen/phase linear last summer/fall and liked all. I installed the vm9412 from jensen (awesome head unit but higher priced than phase linear) I installed 2 phase linear uv8's and those were nice units. Audiovox owns jensen/phase linear so it's all the same company just a different badge on the front. I'd easily put any of those head units in as the quality is actually pretty good! The best feature of the units I installed is the video bypass is just a few buttons pressed on the remote not grounding the parking wire to your parking brake. If you vouch for a higher end unit from jensen or phase linear most of them have dual zone capability meaning you can listen to music up front while kiddies in the back have the door speakers supplying them with sound for the movie. Wireless headphones are also something you could use though!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Go to you local shop vs. getting it offline, circuit city uses metra, you can go there and order the dash kit. All you need to do is supply them with the 99-9500 number and they can order it. I paid $30 bucks at a local store that actually supplies circuit city with their supplies.

Was the $1k after the rebate or before? If before not too bad of a price from a shop but you can get them for less...I could get one if my supplier has them shipped to ya for at most $750 and that's the d3x which has the bluetooth, remote and ipod cable. Mind you the regular avic d3 has the ipod cable with it so that isn't extra but the $150 bluetooth module doesn't come with the regular d3. Before you get raped hit me up let me know what they said and I'll see if I can find a better deal. You should be able to add the d3x, supplies for install and a back up camera for a grand...most shops charge about 100 bucks to install any in-dash video player and capability to play movies is extra and back-up camera's are extra as well as navigation antenna hook-up is usually extra. If you can change an air filter you can wire up the radio on your own, if you need help I could tell you what to wire over the phone and how to do it! Save yourself a couple hundred bucks and do it yourself! Not to mention some shops don't do very good jobs. I'll have to take a pic of what a shop did to the vehicle I just purchased (03 mercury mountaineer.) The suv has headrest monitors and a dvd player with a vcr, well come to find out they added a fm modulator so the goes through the radio with an fm station, the wires they had going on in the dash were crazy and all it was was to tap into the antenna! It's crazy you'd have to see it!

Old 04-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

Wow quil, nice info. Glad you're around, and I vote for the Pioneer units. The Pioneer is great about directions and playback features as well. Looks stock and the touchscree is nice.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I've always been a pioneer guy but when it comes down to money I'd take whatever I can afford! If i had 700 bucks I'd have a avic d3 in the jag or the mountaineer! Probably the mounty as we haven't been driving the x

Old 04-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Heres how to retrofit the factory nav:-
http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=10271

Quick Reply: '08 Factory Nav