X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1.5. ish low rumble/vibration when accelerating in high gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 04:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.5. ish low rumble/vibration when accelerating in high gear

Hi people, I have looked and cannot find anything about this anywhere so forgive me if this has been asked before.

When accelerating at low speed and in high gear, when revs climb slowly and the engine is under load, at around 1.3/1.5k rpm I get a low frequency rumble/vibration which goes as soon as it get above 1.5k. It is exactly like the vibration/rumble you'd get if when you try to accelerate hard in say 5th gear at 20mph, just quite a bit louder and goes through the car. if I accelerate hard/normally through the gears nothing happens or it is tiny.

Is this normal of a car of this age (178k)???

Thanks in advance

Regards

Old 02-03-2019, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Perhaps carrier bearing? Do a search here on how to grease it (w/pics). This does usually manifest when weather turns cold. Greasing the bearing sometimes works, sometimes not. Worth a try.

The other option could be wheel bearing(s).

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 02-03-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Perhaps carrier bearing? Do a search here on how to grease it (w/pics). This does usually manifest when weather turns cold. Greasing the bearing sometimes works, sometimes not. Worth a try.

The other option could be wheel bearing(s).

Hi

Thanks for the reply - would that not mean it same symptoms would be peppermint? I ask because it only happens when between 1.2k and 1.5k in a high gear (4/5/6) and under load/accelerating. It does to me sound like it is coming from the engine through the mounts into the car, like a bad engine mount or DMF.

Thanks again

Old 02-03-2019, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Then check the "dog bone".

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 02-03-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Then check the "dog bone".

https://youtu.be/H2P74cIvlmg

Ok before I start, thank you for taking the time...

So it goes like this... run the tank right down low and then gave her some good fuel (not supermarket tripe) so as to make sure that she had what she likes... (I keep telling my friends that not all fuel is equal) that after letting her warm up properly and running her on good quality fuel that vibration is all but gone! I think though sir that the part you said is worth checking needs to be checked and for these reasons: 1: I drove the car and at about 20mph put it in neutral and dabbed the brake to check bushes::: nothing! no wobbles no knocks nothing through the steering wheel. I drove the car slowly in 1st gear, up and down on the peddle.. no knock no bangs and considering the fact she's at over 178k, the backlash in the box/drive train is good for the miles. but back to what I said.. when I put decent fuel in her, and got her up to temp, she pulled through 1.25k to 1.5k + with next to no vibration... moral of the story? Put decent fuel in ya car. I will change that part because i can tell that (going up and down in 1st 2nd) that the lump is rocking! and - on toip of that my thermostat is bad so it is running on CHOKE (yes I know diesels don't have CHOKE lol) but ya get what I mean.

Thank you all for ya help... LONG LIVE THE BLUE oval.

PS: sounds like a Transit when I start it.. until i get it warm.. but **** me didn't they get the gear ratios right for a motorway..when ya know how to drive it 3rd 4th 5th and 6th... I never thought I'd like a diesel but **** me I like this old banger! That for is the problem with people... that is what wrecks a car.. They don't know how to use the gears properly.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chapperz
Ok before I start, thank you for taking the time...

So it goes like this... run the tank right down low and then gave her some good fuel (not supermarket tripe) so as to make sure that she had what she likes... (I keep telling my friends that not all fuel is equal) that after letting her warm up properly and running her on good quality fuel that vibration is all but gone! I think though sir that the part you said is worth checking needs to be checked and for these reasons: 1: I drove the car and at about 20mph put it in neutral and dabbed the brake to check bushes::: nothing! no wobbles no knocks nothing through the steering wheel. I drove the car slowly in 1st gear, up and down on the peddle.. no knock no bangs and considering the fact she's at over 178k, the backlash in the box/drive train is good for the miles. but back to what I said.. when I put decent fuel in her, and got her up to temp, she pulled through 1.25k to 1.5k + with next to no vibration... moral of the story? Put decent fuel in ya car. I will change that part because i can tell that (going up and down in 1st 2nd) that the lump is rocking! and - on toip of that my thermostat is bad so it is running on CHOKE (yes I know diesels don't have CHOKE lol) but ya get what I mean.

Thank you all for ya help... LONG LIVE THE BLUE oval.

PS: sounds like a Transit when I start it.. until i get it warm.. but **** me didn't they get the gear ratios right for a motorway..when ya know how to drive it 3rd 4th 5th and 6th... I never thought I'd like a diesel but **** me I like this old banger! That for is the problem with people... that is what wrecks a car.. They don't know how to use the gears properly.
I FIND DRIVER-AIDS INTRUSIVE!! Hill-start assist??? how about you learn how to do a hill start? Too hot? open a ****in window!

I've also noticed that the crankshaft-oil-seal is starting to leak... that's a bad thing right? how do I know??? I have seen oil between the engine block and gearbox bell-housing. it's a shame because it had a new DMF and clutch about 50k ago... well the former owner said it's been all motorway miles for then last 75k??? the steering is tight, I can feel the bushes are tight-ish soooooo... mostly motorway miles.. for £800??? I'm not going to complain!