X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

11.9 MPG's

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 11.9 MPG's

Hey guys it's a jaguar type x 2003 sports model. There's no check engine lights on. There was one but my brother in law who's a mechanic erased it so I never got to know what the light was.

The air filter I haven't checked It might be dirty, for a fact I know that the tires pressure are not the correct psi (anybody happen to know the correct tire pressure for this jaguar?)

The car has 111k, my brother did the catalytic converter, a few months back before I bought the car from one of his clients.

Yesterday we replaced both the engine mount and tranny mount, car runs smoother now (less vibration), not sure if that affects MPGs. For sure the car needs new shocks I will be putting new shocks very soon.

I make A LOT of short end trips, I live in NY so everything is close I don't really "travel" i did notice Better MPGs when I take the high way, out of curiosity I see a lot of you guys talk about the car not having a chance to warm up? What does this mean and when I turn on the car I let it warm up for like 2-3 minutes. Should I wait longer?

What is ECU? And how do I reset that?

Thanks a lot for the help guys sorry for asking so many questions. ey guys I need some ideas n opinions how come the Jaguar gets so bad MPG I barely drive to places and my full tank is gone by the fourth day any suggestions or possible causes

Info

Last edited by wazrun; 04-02-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Ok so its a 3.0 car, you don't say anything about mileage? Maybe around the 130k mile mark...please advise?

Has it been serviced recently?
Air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs etc

How does it run....any jerkiness, hesitation, flat spots etc?

Could be the MAF sensor.....could be Lambda 02 sensors needing replaced, could be a number of factors.

Can you tell us anymore??

Please help us to help you and give as much info as possible.....

Old 04-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Do you make a lot of short runs where the car doesn't get up to operating temperature? That kills your gas mileage. Is this something that just started or has it always been that way? Like Jim said, give us as much information about the type of driving you do, details on your car and any lights that may be on dash. If there are go and get the codes read at a place like Autozone and post them here or do a search on their numbers and I'm sure your issue can get sorted out.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 09:14 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

AWD suffers to begin with on mileage and short trips just compound the problem. In-town driving kills my mileage on ALL of my vehicles (not just the two Jags), no matter whether it is one of the ones with an automatic or one with manual tranny. By way of example, I used to have a four-mile drive to and from the office...even in the Miata, I did good to get 16-17MPG even though it will get close to 29MPG all day long on the highway running at 80MPH. It just never had a chance to warm up...

That being said, even a series of two and three mile treks shouldn't be THAT bad...second the question about how recently plugs and filters were changed.

The following 2 users liked this post by mbelanger:
JimC64 (04-02-2014), wazrun (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 10:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe do a hard reset of the ecu and see if it makes a difference

Old 04-02-2014, 11:02 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 3.0 awd hates me, if I drive it a bit hard I get 8.7 mpg, after hard driving I hard reset the ecu and drive it gently again, open road I can average around 44 mpg. Just find it hard not to stomp the gas pedal

Old 04-02-2014, 02:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

wazrun, like was mentioned, making tons of small trips, especially when it is cold out, it is easy to get your mileage down that low. YOu start trying to get a little bit of performance out of the car and the mileage will dip even further. The best advice that I can tell you to do is to get the car out on a highway, set the cruise at say 70 mph (anything around that number is good). With the engine up at temp, set the cruise, reset the tripometer, and drive the car for say 20 miles. What is the MPG at that point. IF you are up over say 20 mpg, then things are probably not that bad and you are simply suffering from the car running the engine when it is cold. You should hopefully be up around 25 mpg which would indicate that all is golden. If you are under 20 mpg, then there is something else going on. Let us know what you get and we can take things from there.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

I have a 2.5 classic x-type. I drive 3 miles to work and back mon to fri and then maybe two runs of 30 miles sat and sun. I use a car fuel app on my phone as no onboard fuel calculation on my classic and I get 20.8mpg pretty much average every week. I wish it was more but I prefer my jag to a normal car grin. Friday I am off on family holiday with 3.5 hour drive to get to lincolnshire I will see what I get with these longer runs. Incidentally I try hard to drive cautiously but it sounds fantastic at 2.5 thousand revs and up grin and where my prev xj encouraged cruising the x-type is more a feel the road type car if that makes sense so I dont get maybe the fuel figures I should

Steve Sheldon
2002 X-Type 2.5 Manual Classic 97,000m
purchased Sept 2012
(using mobile app :-( so apologies for typo's etc)

Last edited by SteveSheldon; 04-02-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I know it isn't the same, you having a 3.0, but I was pleasantly surprised by my newly purchased 2.5. With a commute of 16 miles of horrendous stop-and-go rush hour traffic twice a day and a few other trips around town it turned in 21.7mpg on the first full tank (calculated by me after filling). This was after changing the oil, oil filter and fuel filter.

Best guess is it is doing an astounding 28+mpg at 55mph.

I'll have new tires (and brake fluid and alignment) on it for a longer highway trip this weekend. I'm really looking forward to it!

Old 04-02-2014, 03:20 PM

Hey guys it's a jaguar type x 2003 sports model. There's no check engine lights on. There was one but my brother in law who's a mechanic erased it so I never got to know what the light was.

The air filter I haven't checked It might be dirty, for a fact I know that the tires pressure are not the correct psi (anybody happen to know the correct tire pressure for this jaguar?)

The car has 111k, my brother did the catalytic converter, a few months back before I bought the car from one of his clients.

Yesterday we replaced both the engine mount and tranny mount, car runs smoother now (less vibration), not sure if that affects MPGs. For sure the car needs new shocks I will be putting new shocks very soon.

I make A LOT of short end trips, I live in NY so everything is close I don't really "travel" i did notice Better MPGs when I take the high way, out of curiosity I see a lot of you guys talk about the car not having a chance to warm up? What does this mean and when I turn on the car I let it warm up for like 2-3 minutes. Should I wait longer?

Thanks a lot for the help guys sorry for asking so many questions.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

See below.....

Originally Posted by wazrun
It may be helpful if you can find out what it was?

A dirty / over used air filter will negatively affect performance and economy
Incorrect tyre pressures, especially too low will negatively affect handling and economy, check your handbook for correct tyre pressures.

Unsure if it will necessarily affect the economy but for safety and handling I'd look at getting them replaced.

Making a LOT of stop / start short trips will seriously affect your economy
The car getting up to temp ( temp needle in the middle of the display, car warmed up )
Starting your car and leaving it to idle for 2-3 mins ( probably longer I'm guessing ) will seriously eat into your economy.

Start the car and drive off immediately, being easy on the gas etc for the first 5-10 mins until she's up to temp.

From your responses and at that mileage, my other guess would be that the Lamda 02 sensors are either failing or on the borderline out of spec......this will lead to overfuelling and poor performance too.

Worth looking into

The best place to start would be, get your tyres at the correct pressure, start n drive straight away nice n easy on the gas, do not let her idle.
Renew air filter, spark plugs and possibly fuel filter if not done at recent service schedule.......cheap insurance and a little tune up that may help some.

Thanks a lot for the help guys sorry for asking so many questions.

wazrun (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64
See above.....
Wil definitely look onto the ideas you suggested but I'm curious what you and other members think starting the car and taking off right away, a lot of people tell men this is bad for the car that I should let the car "warm up"

Btw guys when I tap the Trip button that shows my MPG I try pressing the reset button when I do it does nothing it just skips to mileage of the car but the MPGs stay there, hard to explain I will probably have to post a video

Last edited by wazrun; 04-02-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

Drive off more or less immediately, but.....go easy on the gas, be gentle with her until she's warmed up, simple

see links below....

link

link1

link2

link3

presumably you're not running with a roof rack / bike rack?
Boot stuffed full of bits n bobs that you don't need to carry around?

Try a little hypermiling sometime.....

use cruise less
you can coast downhill |( some don't like it ) or at least go a little easier on the loud pedal
reduce speed going uphill a little
reduce your average mph by even 5mph will help
A/C off when not needed
rear heated screen and other accessories all use power, switch off when not needed.

You haven't said when it was last serviced?
As stated, it may benefit from air filter, fuel filter, engine oli / filter change and spark plugs

Check the MAF sensor and of course the Lambda 02 sensors...........If they're original they're overdue for replacement probably.

wazrun (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 08:48 PM
Veteran member

wazrun, I would recommend running the tires at say 38 psi on the fronts and 35 psi on the rears unless you travel a lot with 4 people (or around 400 pounds in the trunk), then I would run the rears at 38 psi also. This will be a nice mix of comfort while still keeping the tires inflated enough to not cause abnormal wear.

As for letting the engine warm up, like what Jim said, you are better off just starting up the car, giving it a few seconds to settle out and then get on the road making sure to take it easy on the gas until you start seeing the temp gauge start moving. Granted, you may find that you will need to use the seat heaters a bit more than letting it warm up for the few minutes. I know this might sound silly, but that could possibly be what is causing your "low mileage". You are letting the engine idle a "long time" in relation to the drive that you are making.

wazrun (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
wazrun, I would recommend running the tires at say 38 psi on the fronts and 35 psi on the rears unless you travel a lot with 4 people (or around 400 pounds in the trunk), then I would run the rears at 38 psi also. This will be a nice mix of comfort while still keeping the tires inflated enough to not cause abnormal wear.

As for letting the engine warm up, like what Jim said, you are better off just starting up the car, giving it a few seconds to settle out and then get on the road making sure to take it easy on the gas until you start seeing the temp gauge start moving. Granted, you may find that you will need to use the seat heaters a bit more than letting it warm up for the few minutes. I know this might sound silly, but that could possibly be what is causing your "low mileage". You are letting the engine idle a "long time" in relation to the drive that you are making.
I think this could be another reason because I NEVER turn on the heater even if its cold outside to save gas supposedly and the last few days the temperature outside been really cold it says on the dashboard low temperature outside I'll take all your suggestion guys I'll go get a few things checked tomorrow and update you guys

Old 04-03-2014, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member

Hope to hear.........

Old 04-03-2014, 06:28 AM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

[QUOTE=, open road I can average around 44 mpg. Just find it hard not to stomp the gas pedal[/QUOTE]
Wow! 44mpg. You must be coasting down a big long hill.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

wazrun, getting back to a question that you ask. What is an ECU? ECU is Engine Control Unit, aka, the computer that manages the engine. The easiest way is to open the hood of your car and access the battery. From there, remove the negative battery cable (make sure not to touch the positive and negative terminals at the same time), wait about a minute, and then reconnect the negative terminal. This will cause all the memory that is in the ECU to be erased (side note, this will also erase the memory in all the other computers in the car, so you will need to reset any radio stations you had programmed into the radio and you will need to re-learn the one touch up/down for the windows-this takes all of about 1 minute to accomplish).

If you have further questions, let us know. These are all easy things to take care of.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Wazrun, on the reset of the mileage, you need to hold down the reset button for a few seconds rather than just tapping it once. While you're holding down the button the message centre will tell you that it is resetting A or B.

On the mileage, mine is a 2.5l, and over the last 28,000 miles I've averaged 18.7MPG with a high of 27.7 (on a long freeway drive of 500 miles), and a low of 14.9. My normal driving is 90% around town of 6-10 miles duration.

The attached chart shows the economy for each of the 130 fills since I got the car 3 years ago.

Regards

Rob

Attached Thumbnails 11.9 MPG's-mpg-chart2.jog.png  
Old 04-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Btw guys when I tap the Trip button that shows my MPG I try pressing the reset button when I do it does nothing it just skips to mileage of the car but the MPGs stay there, hard to explain I will probably have to post a video[/QUOTE]

If you are talking about the button at the end of the stalk on the left side of the steering wheel every time you press that it will scroll through the miles on the car, distance to empty, MPG and the miles traveled since last rest. If you are talking about resetting all that you have to go to the button under the headlight trip and hold it in. One is A and one is B. When you hold it in the display will show something like "resetting trip B". After a few seconds it is all reset.

Quick Reply: 11.9 MPG's