X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Jag post!

Old 08-29-2007, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Jag post!

Hello All,

I just purchased a 2002 Xtype 2.5 5 speed. I used to drive BMWs but after driving it in the harsh nyc winters I decided i wanted an AWD car.

Audis where too expensive and not to mention just a glorified Volkswagon...

So by luck someone on Craigslist was selling the xtype for cheap (it had 120k miles on it) but I test drove it and it ran really smooth! so i purchased it.

The car has been great cept for a few querks.

*Sometimes the car wont allow me to lock it externally (outside) because the trunk is open. I have to play with it a few minutes before getting it to lock.

*A sweeky noise when i turn the steering wheel (coming inside, not from the engine).

Any maintance I should do on the jag? Right now im working on getting a new air filter, how difficult is it to install a new cabon air filter?

Any DIY guides?

Thanks guys and Im looking forward to the support and friendship!

C

Old 08-29-2007, 09:56 AM
Default RE: 1st Jag post!

If trunk is open then you cannot lock the doors. Not a fault as sure mine is the same.
My car made a noise from the steering. Sounded like the clockspring. There is a service bulletin relating to this issue. Guess you might be able to find that from the above TSB link?

Old 08-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  7.4 KB

ORIGINAL: 1stJag
Hello All,
I just purchased a 2002 Xtype 2.5 5 speed. I used to drive BMWs but after driving it in the harsh nyc winters I decided i wanted an AWD car.
So by luck someone on Craigslist was selling the xtype for cheap (it had 120k miles on it) but I test drove it and it ran really smooth! so i purchased it.
The car has been great cept for a few querks.
*Sometimes the car wont allow me to lock it externally (outside) because the trunk is open. I have to play with it a few minutes before getting it to lock.
*A sweeky noise when i turn the steering wheel (coming inside, not from the engine).
Any maintance I should do on the jag? Right now im working on getting a new air filter, how difficult is it to install a new cabon air filter?
Any DIY guides?
Thanks guys and Im looking forward to the support and friendship!
C
Hey 1stJag, welcome to the forum mate.
Sounds like you got the same spec n year as mine ( assuming its a sport)
Rivs is dead on about the trunk for a start.
Squeeking noise is from the steering wheel.......chck TSB's for further info.
Things to look for?
Unless you got HID's chances are you'll need to upgrade your headlight bulbs of upgrade to HID's.....common for that year
Demister vents on dash.....pop up either side, check it out.
Brakes can be quite poor........you may want to upgrade to EBC Redstuff pads for seriously increased stopping power.
Check the side repeaters...If they are the amber ones you may want to upgrade to the more modern looking clear side repeaters for around £24 the pair inc bulbs.

Jim

Old 08-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome 1stjag....what'd you end up getting the car for? Good luck on the problems and it seems like they've solved most of them for you!

Old 08-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome 1st jag, my x is my 1st jag too. I've never seen an xtype with 120k miles before, but im glad to see that some have made it that far lol.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:46 PM

Hey all,

Thanks for the support, but i dont fully understand Jim's post (must be the accent)

the steering wheel nose doesnt bother me too much. and if jaguar is going to fix this for free, im not going to research it.

I got the car for $5900 bucks... the guy oringinally wanted 7k.

I love this car as its bigger than a 3, but smaller than a 5 series. huge amounts of sex appeal and its rare to find one of these on the road in NYC (everyone here usually drives a bmw, mercedes, or a jap)

HIDS? is it recommended? I have plenty of light with the fogs on. but if someone knows where i can get a HID kit for cheap..let me know.

the 5 speed is pure butter. it shifts so nice compared to my bmw...sometimes i forget im driving a manual car!

any websites for a DIY? I would like to poke around the car and see what i can do.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:49 PM

X's arent that rare in nyc there buddy, theres another one right here ; ) since you in the city, i recomend speedworld out on sunrise highway in Baldwin LI. They did my HID's, tints, put on my wheels. They are honest and take care of customers, i highly recomend them.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Welcome !
I don't know where to buy HIDs for cheap (save ebay ) .However please don't waste your money by getting cheaper ones . 6000K is enough ,more than this is not necessary .

Old 08-30-2007, 05:23 PM

Yo kid!

I do like ur rimms, how much did they charge for the tints ( i need them in my car) and for the HIDs?

Let me know thanks!

Old 08-30-2007, 05:26 PM

its a shame i use this car just for a weekend car. I see x-type pictures and im like...oooOooo i wanna drive my jag!

Old 08-30-2007, 05:48 PM

The HID's were 300 installed, not sure about the tints as they were a gift from my woman, but i dont think they were more than 150 and they guarantee everything they do there. I used to use my car only on weekends and ride the F to work, but it takes so damn long at night that i drive daily now.

Post some pics too!!

Old 08-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

Tint for 150 is pretty good deal...hey somekidz what lights are they (brand origin of manufacturing???) Not too bad of a price to have them installed but are they no-name hids???

Hey 1st jag...if you don't mind a little hard work I can't say I'd be willing to pay 150-180 for the hids to be installed...my buddy has had pilot hids in his car for over a year now and has had no problems. They go for around 130 shipped on ebay per set...for 260 you'd get 2 sets one for the headlights and one for the fog lamp...btw the headlight bulbs are h1 and for all 3 (fog, main, brights...) don't mess with different bulbs other than hids because they all blow...you can search if you'd like more of an explanation!

Old 08-30-2007, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

BTW!!![sm=wtf.gif][sm=wtf.gif][sm=yikesomg.gif] I can't believe you only paid 5500 for it!!! High mileage or not you throw a new tranny and engine and all suspension parts and guarantee you could get all that stuff for no more than 8k...that still would be less than what I paid for my car!

Old 08-31-2007, 03:33 AM

ORIGINAL: somekidzenvy

Welcome 1st jag, my x is my 1st jag too. I've never seen an xtype with 120k miles before, but im glad to see that some have made it that far lol.
LOL i was just about to say the same thing. I thought they all crapped the bed at 100k...lol

Old 08-31-2007, 08:33 AM

Small world! I take the F train to work too, I currently reside in forest hills!!!

And take heart, these miles are all NJ highway miles, and the car has a lot of pep in it, so fear not about your x-type, she's built to last!

Old 08-31-2007, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  7.4 KB

Hey you guys, there was an article some time ago about an X that covered over 350k miles in around 4 years and was still going strong. It was a company car and did a lot of motorway miles and was serviced regularly and well looked after generally.
So, look after your cars guys, and quite the opposite of them falling apart after 100k miles they could just go on n on.

Jim

Old 08-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Shoot highway miles are way healthier than city and what not...cruising at 80mph with the cruise on at 3k rpms in 5th gear takes way less out of the car than driving city and highway! Plus less wear on the seats because you don't have the spots you rub the most when getting in and out of the car!

Old 08-31-2007, 03:26 PM

My jag has a strange color, its the Racing green but if u look at it in a certain way, it looks blue...almost like a metalic color.

anyone have this? was this a special color/option?

Old 08-31-2007, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member

I'm sure its just the flake they have in the brg. There are alot of manufacturer colors that have metal flakes in the paint that help the car look like a few different colors under the sunlight...

Old 08-31-2007, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I assume it's a rare color yet don't quote me .I love that color followed by metallic black .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st Jag post!