Sponsored by:

2002 2.5L Automatic Transmition Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 2002 2.5L Automatic Transmition Question

Hi forum,

Something I've noticed since I owned the car -

Sometimes when I am in-between gears and I let off the gas, and upon resuming throttle the transmission will slam into the next gear. I can almost repeat the behavior and so I normally ease-on the throttle to avoid it.

Could it be related to this TSB: XT100-03 “Boom” at 2900 RPM – Rear Differential – Install Weight Under Differential

I flushed and replaced the ATF ~15k miles ago. Same with Transfer case.

Should I assume a future transmission problem?

Thank you for any insight.

Last edited by Jag4; 11-08-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:32 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

May be some one else would know better, but I do notice that behavior with any car I've drive, I can explain it as I thought; When you let go the gas in between gear, the RPM go down but it not low enough to down shift to lower gear, when you stepped back on gas, the engine rev up higher RPM, so the ECU tell transmission to slam in the higher gear, that's why you feel and hear a "snapped" in transmission. Any body explain other wise?

Old 11-08-2017, 09:20 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Thang Nguyen
May be some one else would know better, but I do notice that behavior with any car I've drive, I can explain it as I thought; When you let go the gas in between gear, the RPM go down but it not low enough to down shift to lower gear, when you stepped back on gas, the engine rev up higher RPM, so the ECU tell transmission to slam in the higher gear, that's why you feel and hear a "snapped" in transmission. Any body explain other wise?
Hi Thang, What you say makes sense and I too have experienced the same behaviour in other cars. Other than this concern, the trans seems fine.