X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 manual x type wont go over 3000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 manual x type wont go over 3000 rpm

I bought this car from a friend who had it sitting for a few months. It needed a new power steering pump so I replaced it. The car started right away, put in a full tank of super clean gas with a bottle of injector cleaner and a bottle of anti.

The car would not rev over 3000 rpm, so I looked at a few forums and found that the PVC hose and the O rings were a common issue. so I replaced them both for $35. The PVC hose I took off had a 2 inch gash in it so I figured that was definitely the problem. The O rings were still tight but replaced them anyway. I cleared the codes started it up and still not revving over 3000.

I put it back on the scanner and now its coming up knock sensor 2 and high circuit bank 2.

Knock sensor is only $55 but I am hesitant to change it because that has to do with starting a car not running the vehicle into LIMP mode.

Is the scanner I'm using not enough to reset the codes? IS there something else I need to do?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 03-15-2012, 07:54 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Not an expert..., but based on other topics on this list, have you checked the
fuel pressure?
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 03-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock sensor

My advice is replace the knock sensor. C ar is is limp home mode and I had the same problem. I replaced the knock sensor and spark pulgs at the same time. Problem solved. Great article on this forum with pictures on how to do this.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Default knock sensor

I did more reading about the knock sensor and I have decided to replace it as well. For $55 it will be an easy fix. The sensor controls combustion reading so it does directly impact the CPU for limp mode which I was unaware of. I am going to pick it up on Tuesday at the dealer. I will post once I replace it and see if it works.

Cheers!

Old 03-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Same answer here. The car is in limp mode cause of a bad knock sensor. Good luck

Old 03-21-2012, 04:24 PM

Please let me know if this works. I have the same problem. I just bought my car and it started doing this samething and mine is automatic. The guy I bought it from said it needed a new catalytic converter but the install is crazy expensive.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:01 AM
Default knock sensor

so i was very hesitant to replace the knock sensor because i have been told by many that it could be a million things triggering the knock sensor on the scanner (that we have been using). I am bringing in the car right now actually to jag to have them diagnose it $60-$120. I would rather do that first before doing a 4 hour job replacing the knock sensor to find out it was never that.

I will keep you posted.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Default scanner results

so after an hour on the scanner they called me back:

5 codes: knock sensor, 2 cam sensors, knock sensor (again), and map sensor.

One of the two pins on the map sensor was pushed in so they fixed that. They then tested the knock sensor and the cam sensors, they are all in working order. So, they asked for my approval to further diagnose for another 2-3 hours. I said yes but to also phone jag support line and see if they had any info.

I'm thinking wiring issue, bad oil, ecm, or worn down timing chain. Hopefully another 2-3 hours and my car will have the issues found and can go ahead fixing them.

So I recommend not changing the knock sensor until you go to JAG and get them to put in on the scanner (only jag scanner). It may cost you $120 for the scan but the labor on changing a knock sensor is easy 2-3 hours and could solve nothing.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:43 PM

any update!? Mine after the IMT seal replaced didnt work. I will be trying the PCV and booster vacuum.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by PAJaguar
any update!? Mine after the IMT seal replaced didnt work. I will be trying the PCV and booster vacuum.

Latest news after 2 hours of diagnostics (they said they actually did longer but not charging me) is that its the PCM- Power Control Module. Apparently the pins were broken. So Monday they are going to look into the problem some more. Doing research on how to fix it and if they can get the part itself. IF they can repair the module, or cut and splice wires for the new one. They have never had to change one.

I will update Monday. It is a good thing my main vehicle is BMW :P

Old 03-24-2012, 03:57 AM

did your car have popping sound ? does it jerk at 3000 rpm ? plz reply .

Old 03-24-2012, 04:07 AM

and btw , PCM is the same as ECU , Jag has to use special names , i did reset my ecu/pcm , same thing .

Old 03-24-2012, 05:44 AM

update : disconnect the battery , wait for 5 minutes , reconnect it , start the car , it will run like a horse (just did that ) , so yes , it is the ECU/PCM problem .

Old 03-24-2012, 08:28 AM

Jags go into LIMP mode anytime it has vacuum leaks or sensors dont work. This means it will not rev over 3000 rpm. My car runs perfect, you wouldnt even know it had any problems at until you tried passing someone. and it just shutters at 3000 rpm.

The only thing disconnecting your battery does is reset the check engine lights and try's to clear the codes. Same as putting it on a scanner. it will not fix the problem if one is present.

Right now it is not about resetting the PCM on my car, its about fixing it or replacing it since it is broken.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:54 AM

true , i just realized this , i will take it again to check sensors and leaks , hope my ecu is not BROKEN .

Old 03-24-2012, 03:25 PM

I tried the new PCV hose and it still didnt work. I will try the battery trick and I also checked the booster vacuum and didnt notice any leaks. I will let yall know about mine soon.

The following users liked this post:
Peter James (07-07-2021)
Old 03-25-2012, 03:53 AM

before you take off the battery > make sure you have the radio security code , or you will have troubles .

took my car for the mechanic , my complain was popping sound on cold start causing ecu to shut power at 3000 rpm , it goes away when car is hot , said it is a throttle body problem , needs replacement .

Old 03-25-2012, 07:56 AM

My car is doing the same thing. No one seems to be able to tell what is wrong from the codes. Replaced knock sensor, plugs, manifold gaskets, vacume lines, maf sensor, and it is still doing it. I am wondering if it could be Cat Convertor.I am ready to go nuts. Fast right up to 3,000 rpm. Any suggestions?

Old 03-25-2012, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by markwh60
My car is doing the same thing. No one seems to be able to tell what is wrong from the codes. Replaced knock sensor, plugs, manifold gaskets, vacume lines, maf sensor, and it is still doing it. I am wondering if it could be Cat Convertor.I am ready to go nuts. Fast right up to 3,000 rpm. Any suggestions?
Like I said to everyone getting this scanner code bring it to the DEALER. Only Jag has the scanner to properly diagnose the problem. Might cost a couple hours but well worth it.

The following users liked this post:
Peter James (07-07-2021)
Old 06-24-2012, 05:58 AM
Default Jaguar X type won't rev over 3000 rpm

Originally Posted by markwh60
I have the same problem, brought car to Charles Hurst jaguar Belfast. Replaced both O2 sensors plugs and manifold gaskets. No Engine lights on and CHARLES HURST have told me they do not know what is wrong with the car.
Can anybody help

Quick Reply: 2002 manual x type wont go over 3000 rpm