Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 X-Type What to do's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 X-Type What to do's?

Goodevening everyone!

My Carrier bearring in drive shaft is going out 1280$ dealership quote.
Upper Coolant Hose leaking 800$ dealership quaote
Those are my two foremost concerns.

I talked to my father in law prior to the final quote and he suggested to just replace the bearring, the dealership said somthing like it is intergratted and needs a whole new drive shaft.

I'm flabbergasted at the 800$ pricetag on a coolant hose...

I'm not too savvy with cars, but I'm sure I could figure it out if it is possible by an average joe, is the upper coolant hose replaceable by me and do I find a different shop for my carrier bearring issue or just go with British Motor Corp?

I appreciate all and any help! Thank you very much in advance!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Carrier bearing should really only cost about $200 if you're doing it yourself and maybe $500 at tops from a reputable shop. You will have to buy the bearing from here Jaguar DRIVESHAFT CENTER SUPPORT CARRIER BEARING - EBC9040-OE for $130 and then take it to a shop with a press so they can press the old bearing off and the new bearing on. I can't really help you with the coolant hose cause it could be many things. Is the coolant leaking?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:26 PM

yes the coolant is leaking, I noticed it about 1 1/2 weeks ago, my heater was blowing cold when the car reached peak temperature, I immediately pulled over and checked the fluid and it was extremely low, so I filled up with what I had accessible and moved on and it fixed the problem for the meantime.

BMC said the hose will be dripping soon and if it blows off I'm stranded, they have my car right now and expect an answer by tomorrow, they are just making it out to sound like it's impossible for anyone else and difficult for a skilled tech to do the hose. " it's long and wraps in and out and around the engine"

Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MikeH
yes the coolant is leaking, I noticed it about 1 1/2 weeks ago, my heater was blowing cold when the car reached peak temperature, I immediately pulled over and checked the fluid and it was extremely low, so I filled up with what I had accessible and moved on and it fixed the problem for the meantime.

BMC said the hose will be dripping soon and if it blows off I'm stranded, they have my car right now and expect an answer by tomorrow, they are just making it out to sound like it's impossible for anyone else and difficult for a skilled tech to do the hose. " it's long and wraps in and out and around the engine"
Normally coolant hoses are super straight-forward and the dealership is just looking for some extra cash. For example, a battery cable is pretty hard to get to, but reputable shops will cost you $60 while the dealer costs $400. I would call a reputable shop near you and explain the predicament. If they think they can handle it, drive it to them with an extra gallon of coolant in the back and save yourself some serious $. Normally the dealer will charge upwards of 4 times what it actually costs to fix your car, so if money is tight, take it to a local shop that HAS EXPERIENCE WITH JAGUARS!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:38 PM

Great you've instilled a mass amount of confidence in the direction of my decision! Thank you very much for an answer tonite! Goodnite!

Very glad to be here!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member

Just be careful of the coolant hose and watch your engine temp on the hopefully less than 10 miles to the new shop. If you see anything weird on the engine temp, pull over and check everything. Don't damage anything!