X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Jaguar neutral safety switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Jaguar neutral safety switch

I have 2004 Jaguar xtype that will not start. Battery new. No click to indicate a starter issue. My brother seems to think that it is the neutral safety switch however, I can not find any diagrams as to where it is located on the car

Old 12-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I am dealing with a similar issue myself as we speak. See my other current post on this forum https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...etimes-193370/ for other fun items associated with my shifter....

The Neutral Safety Switch (also called Transmission Range Sensor "TSR" is located under the battery box - drivers side front (see attached photo).

There is a used sensor on Ebay right now for around $65. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2005-J....c100284.m3505

If you end up replacing the Range Sensor, remember that the range sensor not only contains the neutral safety switch providing a signal to the ECM starter circuit, but also provides input to the Transmission Control Module for each gear selected on the J Gate. You will need to verify J Gate shifter position indication alignment with that reported by the Range sensor and adjust the range sensor, if necessary.

Hope this helps - Good Luck

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Jaguar neutral safety switch-tsr_01.jpg  

Last edited by PanamaJag; 12-10-2017 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Add detail
The following users liked this post:
StephanieBakerC21 (12-11-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 11:19 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default See Attached Thread

I am battling a similar beast as yours and documenting my progress (or lack thereof) in the attached thread. You may find something there - especially my last entry on testing the TRS BEFORE replacing it!!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...etimes-193370/

Old 12-14-2017, 04:58 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Stephanie, first off, do you have a manual or an automatic X-Type? This affects things slightly. Both of the switches that you are looking at are mounted in roughly the same position (top of the tranny which for you is right behind the driver's side headlight). First things first. In the passenger compartment, there is a fuse box, replace fuse F26 with a new fuse (should be a 10 amp fuse) and then see if this fixes your issue. If not, then I would recommend taking a multimeter and with the plug still attached to the tranny range switch (TRS)(I am assuming you have an automatic tranny at this point), you will see a black wire attached to pin 6 on the plug. You will want to slide a pin along side the wire until you feel it hit something solid and then touch the multimeter probe to the pin with the other probe to anything metal on the engine. With the car in Park or Neutral and the key in the RUN position, you should see 12 VDC there. If not, then odds are your tranny range switch is bad.

If you are seeing 12 VDC on the TRS and the starter is not engaging, I would then say with the help of a second person, have one person hold the ignition switch in the START position as the other person takes the handle of a hammer and gives the starter a good tap, hitting a solid part of the starter. Did this cause the starter to engage? If so, you have a starter going.

One other thing to check as you are doing all of this, look at the center console. There is a red LED there by the shifter inside the black plastic coin holder. As you are attempting to start the car, is that light on solid? If so, then the car is not recognizing the key for some reason. If you have a second key, I would try that to see if you simply have lost the programming for that key. If you are still having issues, let us know and we can help you out.

Old 02-23-2023, 04:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, my gearbox (auto) started playing up , not engaging from D to R and R to D, and slipping whilst driving, so i made a small adjustment to the length of the cable where the selector cable is attached to the gearbox underneath, success now it engages everytime.
BUT a couple of times it has decided not to crank, does the isolation inhibitor switch (TRS)underneath the battery box need adjustment after altering the gearbox selector cable? or is the TRS switch on top of the gearbox faulty.
Thanks for your help

Last edited by pnfootitt; 02-23-2023 at 04:48 AM.