X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 X-Type 3.0 - Knock sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 04:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 X-Type 3.0 - Knock sensor question

Got a weird one that I would like to get some input on.

On Thursday my wife was driving the Jag and when she got where she was going she called and said the Check Eng indicator light was on and they car was driving odd. I asked what odd meant and she said it was not accelerating normally, felt like it was limited on power. She also told me it had acted that way when she drove the car on Tuesday and Wednesday but forgot to tell me.....

I drove over to where she was, grabbed the car and took it for a short drive to the local Autozone and had them put it on the code reader. It kicked out the P0332 code for the knock sensor; P0332 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Low Input (Bank 2).

Well out comes the wallet and $104 later I have a new sensor ready to put in today.

Yet just 10 minutes ago I drove over to the local mini-mart, and the check engine light was no longer lit and the car drove just like it did prior to Thursday.

My question is, do I still need to change the knock sensor, or could it have been a bad tank of gas that cause the engine to knock and set of the sensor and the new gas that was put in yesterday has cleared the problem?

If I don't have to replace the sensor I would be very happy as I can get the $104 back.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Darcy Nelson; 06-17-2017 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Edited to correct the error code number
Old 06-17-2017, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Are you sure that P0322 was the correct code? I don't see that on the Jaguar list? Could it be P0223 instead? That is related to the throttle position sensor.

You have the light come on and it sounds like it may have got into limp mode where the rpms won't go above 3K. If that was an intermittent issue and it did not occur after a number of drive cycles the light will go off on its own. So, I am guessing that whatever it was/is will come back. Lights come on for a reason and unfortunately things don't fix themselves.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fat fingered the error code, it was P0332 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Low Input (Bank 2)

Old 06-17-2017, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

More than likely the code that was read was a P0332 knock sensor.You need to locate the area of the sensor and make sure that you don't have a nearby water leak shorting out the sensor. Next you need to examine the wiring and connector and make sure it is in good condition. If you don't have moisture or a wiring problem them you mostly likely have a failing sensor.
If you do a search in the X100 forum there is a great how to for changing the knock sensor that saves some of the removals recommended by the tech manual.