X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 X-Type won't stay running.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2004 X-Type won't stay running.

2004 X-TYPE 3.0 start is intermittent, sometimes it will start and other times it will crank for a few seconds and then stop within seconds or like yesterday, went shopping with my wife, yes I know mistake # 1, drove for about 30 miles stopping a couple of times at different stores and then after the last stop the car would not start, had to get it towed home, when got it home it started again, got up this morning and it still starts but do not want to go for a drive just in case, have checked fuel pressure, seems to be fine at 50psi, wondering if it might be the crankshaft sensor and if so just have to find out where it is, hopefully it is not the fuel pump as that looks like an SOB to get to, any help would be appreciated, need to get this car running so my wife can get to her cancer treatments.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Derek, when the car won't start, I would try getting out of the car and if you look on the under side of the gas tank, you should see some "half moon" indentions. Take your hand and hit each one. then see if the car will start up.

the other issue that you may be facing is the ignition switch is starting to fail and what is happening is that you are turning the key, but power is not making it to the ECU. This will cause the car to crank, but not do much else. This would also explain why the car is not continuing to run as the ECu is needed to fire the cylinders and if it doesn't have power, it will not provide the spark at the correct time.

The following users liked this post:
Derek B (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 09:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had a similar failure, the car would turn over, fire up and then immediately die. It turned out it was the battery which needed replacing. The weak battery caused the ECU to freeze and the ECU had to be cleared of all codes and basically rebooted.

Mine is the 2.2 diesel.

Maybe that might help
Harry

The following users liked this post:
Derek B (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 06:46 PM

Thank you for the replies, I will give them a try.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:45 PM

I replaced the Crankshaft sensor and all of the misfire codes disappeared, still getting an Ho2 code though so will have to see what I can do about that as it looks tough to get to.