X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Need to Pass State Inspection - Can't Resolve Engine Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Help! Need to Pass State Inspection - Can't Resolve Engine Light Issue

I am new to the brand. After putting this car to the test, I have true respect for the brand. Please bare with me on the details, I really would appreciate your effective guidance:

I purchased this neglected car in June '16, with Seller's warnings to only drive it locally. Wrong! Upon purchase, exterior oxidation was visible with smoky smell emitting only from 1 of 2 mufflers upon start. When driving, the engine randomly stutters/misfires during 2nd/3rd gear shifting during acceleration. The engine light was on, until my mechanic changed coil pack #2 during tuneup, Castrol GTX high mileage oil change. The car began to purr, engine light went off. Car always started, despite mechanic's shock. Checks of existing alternator, battery were good. Bad fuses were replaced in the visible box. (I now know there are two fuse boxes).

After 5,200 miles of driving as of Sept. '16, the car engine light returned. GuaranteedPass cleaner opened 2nd muffler, didn't clear engine light. I failed the mandatory state inspection due to some items being "not ready," due to a reset too close to inspection & the OBDII scanner keeps giving different readings --variations of P1000, P0333, P0171, P0172, or none at all! Purchase of a knock sensor, was advised by 1, then not recommended by another mechanic because the knock sensor reading indicated high voltage as opposed to low. Electronic, electrical, or computer issue is highly suspected, because now the left indicator light blinks on the internal display quickly when the car is in drive with the brake pedal compressed & does not display rapid blinking externally.

I WOULD SINCERELY APPRECIATE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON HOW NOT TO FALL IN A MONEY PIT. I'm hoping for a simple solution that we overlooked. A trip to the Jaguar dealership for engine light diagnostics is going to run $145 before tax & I would prefer to save my pennies for restoration. I wish I owned it from day one.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Besides the engine light & the mild acceleration stuttering from time to time on a steep incline at a fast speed, the car runs excellent. The paint finish has been restored to mirror shine. I took a few trips in the last month from northern NJ to Lake George, NY and northern NJ to Maryland. With over a dozen trips from Hudson County to Greenwood Lake. The car handles mountain terrain effortlessly (while using cruise control). It's mind blowing. It doesn't drive like a car that has an issue. I mainly use Ultra 93 Sunoco fuel & keep the oil clean. Still scratching my head on this one before I spend unwisely.

Please give your feedback. I don't want to, but I am near ready to sell it to avoid penalty with the State for failing the inspection. I do not need NJ drama while I'm trying to resolve these inspection issues.

Thank you for your time and guidance in advance. I really would appreciate it.

Crystal Fineshines

Last edited by fineshines; 11-01-2016 at 04:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tompullizzi (12-21-2022)
Old 11-01-2016, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Not sure how you could have P0171 AND P0172 as one means Bank 1 too rich and the other Bank 1 too lean. Are you sure it isn't P0171 and P0174? If so, that would most likely be a vacuum leak. Do a search on here about those codes and you will find that it could be your IMT o-rings, PCV bretaher hose is split or the brake booster check valve is leaking.

The P1000 just means the system check is not complete, which basically means you probably have an intermittent fault. If you pass a certain amount of drive cycles without that fault present the check engine light would go off, but the code would be retained.

The P0333 might be related to the other codes. You might want to get the codes cleared and start fresh. If the check engine light stays on then see what codes come up and we can go from there. Am guessing that might be something minor.

Can't really help you with the brake light issue. Maybe a ground or a bulb burned out.

The following 2 users liked this post by Alfadude:
fineshines (11-01-2016), tompullizzi (12-21-2022)
Old 11-01-2016, 03:41 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

I don't think you need recommendations on how to fall in a money pit - as you're already in one. As you mention you purchased a neglected car, so I'd recommend starting with the simplest, cheapest items then work up from there. Change the fuel filter. Check the engine air filter and replace if needed. You say battery's OK, but have you had it load tested? What do the spark plugs look like? Code P0171 is Too Lean Bank 1, most likely an air leak downstream of the mass airflow sensor. Scratching my head about P0172, which is Too Rich Bank 1. P0333 is Knock Sensor Circuit High Bank 2, so not sure why the conflicting mechanic advice. Get a helper to work the brakes and turn signal and you check the lights yourself. You may have a bad ground.

Last edited by swingwing; 11-01-2016 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Added sentences.
The following 2 users liked this post by swingwing:
fineshines (11-01-2016), tompullizzi (12-21-2022)
Old 11-01-2016, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Not sure how you could have P0171 AND P0172 as one means Bank 1 too rich and the other Bank 1 too lean. Are you sure it isn't P0171 and P0174? If so, that would most likely be a vacuum leak. Do a search on here about those codes and you will find that it could be your IMT o-rings, PCV breather hose is split or the brake booster check valve is leaking.

The P1000 just means the system check is not complete, which basically means you probably have an intermittent fault. If you pass a certain amount of drive cycles without that fault present the check engine light would go off, but the code would be retained.

The P0333 might be related to the other codes. You might want to get the codes cleared and start fresh. If the check engine light stays on then see what codes come up and we can go from there. Am guessing that might be something minor.

Can't really help you with the brake light issue. Maybe a ground or a bulb burned out.
REPLY FROM FINESHINES:
Thank you Alfadude! I listed the overall codes that resulted from the scanning, as they did not all appear simultaneously, and there were other variations that came up. I will follow your advice. Thanks again!

Old 11-01-2016, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by swingwing
I don't think you need recommendations on how to fall in a money pit - as you're already in one. As you mention you purchased a neglected car, so I'd recommend starting with the simplest, cheapest items then work up from there. Change the fuel filter. Check the engine air filter and replace if needed. You say battery's OK, but have you had it load tested? What do the spark plugs look like? Code P0171 is Too Lean Bank 1, most likely an air leak downstream of the mass airflow sensor. Scratching my head about P0172, which is Too Rich Bank 1. P0333 is Knock Sensor Circuit High Bank 2, so not sure why the conflicting mechanic advice. Get a helper to work the brakes and turn signal and you check the lights yourself. You may have a bad ground.
REPLY FROM FINESHINES:
Great advice and the one line opener was special! lol I paid 1000k for my car, and spent under 1000k including tune up, oil changes 4-tire same tread replacement, 2 replacement key fobs, purchased separately, programmed & cut by Jaguar, to get 6200k miles of driving these last 4 months out of it without it stalling or breaking down. I want to keep it that way. The spark plugs were replaced during the tuneup, air, oil filters changed, mass airflow sensor did not pop up during scanning. I had mechanic use the electronic cleaning spray because of the buildup/oxidation on the wiring first, before replacing it. Acceleration did increase, smoother ride. I will definitely try your suggestions, and post the end results on this forum. Have a great day!

Old 11-01-2016, 06:07 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

OK, so what model year is this car and how many miles on it? Little confused on your price figures though, as 1000k is one million. I'm guessing you paid $1,000 for it, then roughly another $1,000 on repairs. Do I have that right? Lots of Jag knowledge here (not me though as I've got only six months' ownership of mine), so all I have to offer is general help. I've put up a few posts of my work though, so search my user id to see them. Good luck to ye and let us know your progress.

The following users liked this post:
fineshines (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 09:27 AM

Thank you for helping me, swingswing. I'm new to blogging, and yes, you are correct about the $1000 purchase price for a 2003 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 AWD. I purchased the car 5 months ago with approximately 172,000 miles on it, and it currently has approximately 179,000 miles on it. I will definitely take a look at your posts about the work you discuss in this thread, and I will make sure to post the results of looking into all of the suggestions made here in this forum. I feel blessed to have this very reliable car at such a low purchase price. I just need to pass this inspection, and make sure that I resolve the issues before they develop into issues where keeping the car would no longer be an option for me. This forum has been a great source of information for me, and I hope that I can contribute in the same way many other members have. Blessings to you, swingswing!

Last edited by fineshines; 11-02-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:22 PM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Fin,

If you have not done so yet I Highly recommend changing the oil in your transfer case and Rear Diff.
Plenty of info on here on how to do it.