X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 X-Type VDP just purchased...questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 05:54 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2006 X-Type VDP just purchased...questions

Just got this 2006 X-Type VDP for my wife. She's been wanting one a long time and.... it's about time she had one. It is used and not quite perfect, but what a beautiful car. Anyways.. some issues I hope are small and have questions about...

The car came with ONLY ONE key.
I didn't think this was a huge deal... go have another key made. Local dealer wants $400 for one key. Yikes!
The existing key fob would only unlock the car. None of the other buttons worked. So...using information found here I opened the fob to change the battery (actually had the battery sitting here) and found : #1 someone had gotten something INSIDE the fob. Don'y know if they were trying to spray something into it or what. Cleaned circuit board and battery contacts with contact cleaner. Noticed they had apparently tried to "press the button harder" by jamming something into it. Possibly another key...and had actually partially crushed one of the micro switches. And the rubber button membrane is punctured.
After cleaning, installing new battery and reassembling...still didn't work. From reading here I did the procedure to pair it to the car and ...success! All buttons working. But it's in such bad shape, I'm not sure for how long .
Bought a pair of uncut keys/fobs and waiting for them to arrive. I know I'll have to get dealer to cut them and program transponder, but will be talking to the dealer I bought the car from to see if I can coerce them into defraying the cost. Both places owned by the same company so...
We'll see how this goes. Buying a car knowing you're only getting one key is not terrible. But it should WORK!

The audio system - front speakers not working
Was trying to figure out why this beautiful audio system sounded kinda ....not so beautiful. Quickly discovered that NONE of the front speakers are working! Adjusting Front/Rear balance to full front I hear sound from the sub, but nothing else. The rear speakers are all fine. This SOUNDS to me (pun intended) like a connector issue as it seems unlikely that all of the front speakers are bad. Would love to hear some thoughts on this. Would it be worth the effort to pull the radio just to try to reseat the main audio connector and/or look for obvious wires pulled out or something?

Those are really the only issues I think we have. The car runs and drives beautifully. And appears to have been well cared for. Has just over 70k miles on it.

Any thoughts on these 2 items will be appreciated. Although I THINK as far as the keys, I'm following the correct path and won't really know much more until I talk to the selling dealer and their affiliate jaguar dealer. The radio thing bugs me, cause I'm kind of a music/sound ....enthusiast.

Thanks for any input. Really pretty happy about this purchase so far.

Yardbird

Last edited by yardbird; 10-14-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Blown speakers are a common issue with these cars. When I bought my X only the tweeters and the woofer worked. Found it was all four door speakers were blown!

Old 10-14-2016, 10:03 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

higeorge, Blow speakers is not common on this X-Type, I when through 3 X-Types, none of them have blow speaker.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

Well Thang you got lucky! I have read about it here and my Jag mechanic verifies that it is a weak spot for these cars. So we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:22 AM

Been exploring and finding things in the car.
The seat belt retractors were all buggered up. The height adjustment slides were actually popping out. I found that ...for whatever reason...they sliding adjusters were not where they were supposed to be in that trim panel. So I pulled the upper trim panels from the top and leaned them into the car a bit, pushed the slides up and snapped the trim back on. Seat belts glide and retract beautifully. My only concern is that the trim doesn't feel like it "snapped" into anything. It pressed in...is staying, but I feel like it comes off pretty easily. Should it snap in place positively?

Also... when switching on NAV we got a message about there being no navigation DVD inserted. Thanks to these forums and my random reading, I saw a photo of a little access door on the left inside wall of the trunk. Oh, look! A DVD player!
We didn't know there was a separate player for the NAV DVD. Just thought something was to be inserted into the audio head unit. (Duh!). Turned car on...hit Eject... out comes this very clean and shiny nav dvd (2008-2009). Slipped it back in and went to the head unit, hit NAV.... and voila! Maps. There were absolutely no destinations or waypoints so either I inadvertently reset something or the previous owners never used this, right?

After a bit of setup, we had it navigate us back home from a ride. No voice. Radio muted but no voice. My assumption is the voice comes only through the front speakers... none of which are working at the moment. So until I get the speakers straightened away.. I guess we won't hear voice directions. I did notice the directions also show up in the LCD display where the odometer/gas mileage, etc, displays.

So.... we're still learning.
And thanks to the wealth of information here... learning a bit faster and easier than I think we would otherwise. So thanks again to everyone here.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:43 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Hi Yardbird,
A New transponder can be programmed to your car without using dealer.
I did it with one for my car, British spec/ Frequency, so would think it will work for you.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:22 PM

Well.....she's going in the shop on Monday.
I bought a pair of fobs with uncut blades. The dealer we bought the car from will pay to cut and program 1 and I will pay for the other (estimated at around $100 usd)

Front speakers not working will be investigated by jag dealer. We'll decide on a remedy after we determine the actual problem

Rear seat, passenger side seat belt receiver buckle missing. I was informed tonight that this is a NYS inspection item and without it, the car shouldn't have passed inspection. So I am fairly sure I can get the selling dealer to eat this repair as well.

All in all, these don't seem like big problems. Wife is happy with the car. So..... worth it at this point.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

"Rear seat, passenger side seat belt receiver buckle missing."

Could be that the buckle has fallen under the seat cushion.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
"Rear seat, passenger side seat belt receiver buckle missing."

Could be that the buckle has fallen under the seat cushion.
Actually.... this is exactly where it is. I popped the seat bottom and reached in and figured I'd just push it back up through the slot. (Happens on my Santa Fe sometimes when I fold the seats several times)

BUT.... (and it's a big but).... what I found was that the entire outer shell seems to be missing... so it's just the "guts". Could not find the missing shell parts. So... I'm playing dumb and getting the selling dealer to fix it. It should never have passed the state inspection with it missing. All seat belt positions need to be operable.

The car was delivered with a headlight out....and, we later discovered, this missing seat belt buckle. So this becomes a bargaining chip. Citing lack of confidence that a proper inspection was performed and if I need to push hard, wonder out loud if the state might be interested in auditing their inspections to see if this has been happening to others as well.

They're actually a good and reputable dealer. I'm sure this is a fluke. But I'm also sure they should be fixing it and not me. And maybe...as customer service... they'll do something nice for me fixing the front speakers.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:39 AM

Ok..so...
2 keys cut and programmed (I supplied the new uncut keys and fobs)
Seatbelt replaced.
Front door speakers ordered.

Right now, out of pocket is $10.60 ( crazy, right?) with the selling dealer picking up the rest of the $520 invoice.

The speakers aren't paid for yet. Having those installed is going to cost $175, but considering where I am right now, I'm ok with that.

Oh! And my son bought a vehicle from them after we did, and we got $100 bird dog check in the mail. *big smile*

Old 10-28-2016, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

Glad you are getting it sorted. I wish I had found the VDP, but they are rare!

Old 12-27-2023, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door speakers not working XJ8 had it for 12 years

Originally Posted by Thang Nguyen
higeorge, Blow speakers is not common on this X-Type, I when through 3 X-Types, none of them have blow speaker.
I know.. so what should I do

Old 12-27-2023, 08:40 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

R and L, I would start with first accessing the speakers in question and doing a quick visual of the speaker cone itself. If the cone is ripped, it will be fairly obvious (ie, half the cone is going to have a rip running around an edge). The next thing to do is to get a multimeter and disconnect the plug from the speaker. You are then going to measure between the 2 terminals on the speaker. The resistance you see should be slightly less than what the speaker is rated for (ie, if it is a 6 ohm speaker, you will see about 5.8 ohms, a 4 ohm speaker will read 3.8 ohms). If you are getting something dramatically different, the coil is toast. You see a rip or the coil is bad, then new speakers is about your only option left.

If all of this is good and/or you had multiple speakers fail all at the same time, then I would be looking at the amp, which, in this case is going to be your radio most likely. You let us know the year car you have and whether you have the premium sound system, we can give more detailed information as some years/options had an external amp, others did not.

Old 12-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2006 VDP here also !!! Welcome to the family !!! 🤣