X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

200K Club, now to improve ride comfort. Tips please

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 06:20 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 200K Club, now to improve ride comfort. Tips please

Still running solid but the Jag be noisy and I feel everything, I vaunt to vix it.
Think me rear end is covered, but check it out, the list.
But up front names escape me besides struts.

Please help me fill in the gaps, I want to show the Jag some love for hitting 200K miles with no warning lights on the dash(THAT DAM BOOT OPEN ONE IS NOT INCLUDED)

The rear has 4(?) control arms, probably do the thermo route if that fixes inner tire wear. Swaybar links-bushings. Shocks. Is there anything else? Tips tricks money savers? Think my bearings are ok, cv seem ok.

Front end is struts and? and how much if any of the struts? This is where I need info, diagrams with part names, common noise causers.

I have no real single noise, just sounds like I am in a cargo van when I hit bumps on the highway, everything is beat.

Thanks jaguarforums.com for getting me this far!

Last edited by innzane; 03-04-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:57 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Had "junk in the trunk" noise when I bought my '04 about a year ago. Found shot bushings in the forward lower control arms, so replaced those for big improvement. Stay away from MOOG rear sway bar links as they're unreliable. Put a pair of those in and one failed within a month. Rock Auto has decent price on Bilstein shocks so bought a full set of those. Front control arms are a little tricky to get off if you don't lower the subframe (I didn't) and you can end up damaging the large oil-filled bush (I did).

Old 03-05-2017, 08:53 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Thx for the tips
Do you mention the front control arms in relation to the shock replacement? Or was that a seperate upgrade you did that was tricky? Assuming a full set of shocks is 4

I still have a link marked for bushings to replace the worn control arm bushings only, seems this route saves enuf money to almost pay for the rear shocks. Any thoughts on this?

Old 03-05-2017, 06:33 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Yes, front struts are more difficult - it's the ball joint on front steering knuckle that doesn't want to cooperate. Search YouTube for video on front struts. As for bushings - they're not sold as replacements; you have to buy replacement control arms. Suggest you look at Rock Auto for what they have. Dorman brand is decent quality, Lemforder better, Jaguar best but pricey. Also at 200k miles I'd replace the front upper strut mounts.

Last edited by swingwing; 03-05-2017 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Added sentence.
The following users liked this post:
innzane (03-05-2017)