X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Module

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Module

My 2004 X-type (3.0) has 60 K, the ABS light came on last week, I took it to my local guy and he checked the sensors, and read the codes, it comes up the ABS module. The Jag dealer wants $3K for the module, I can get a new one on ebay for a lot less, my question is does the ABS module that's mounted on the master cylinder, the one in front on the passenger side, see the brake fluid, if I take it off will I have a massive fluid leak, and does it require any type of reprogramming.
Thanks in advance
Fred

Old 12-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Fred, the ABS module is the one by the passenger headlight on your car. As for leaking when you pull the module, yes, you will get a lot of fluid out. But, with the work you are doing, you are going to have to do a good fill and vent of the system anyways. So, I would say to break the line coming from the reservior first and get most of the fluid out of that single line and then work on the others then.

Once you have it all back together, then you can fill the reservior and start filling the system up again. Make sure to vent the driver's side rear tire first to make sure you get the most fill for the bang on the first vent. Probably best to have a second person there that will be able to focus on keeping the reservior full so you don't introduce air.

No programming is required for this swap. So, have fun.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs

Originally Posted by Thermo
Fred, the ABS module is the one by the passenger headlight on your car. As for leaking when you pull the module, yes, you will get a lot of fluid out. But, with the work you are doing, you are going to have to do a good fill and vent of the system anyways. So, I would say to break the line coming from the reservior first and get most of the fluid out of that single line and then work on the others then.

Once you have it all back together, then you can fill the reservior and start filling the system up again. Make sure to vent the driver's side rear tire first to make sure you get the most fill for the bang on the first vent. Probably best to have a second person there that will be able to focus on keeping the reservior full so you don't introduce air.

No programming is required for this swap. So, have fun.

Some how, I knew it would not be as easy as pulling the module off, and slapping a new one on the block. OK, Thank for the information.
Fred

Old 12-12-2014, 06:09 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Fred,

The ABS unit consists of a black control module attached to silver hydraulic valve assembly. The control module is attached to the valve assembly with six screws. If your control module failed, it can easily be removed from the valve assembly without losing a drop of brake fluid.

I'm in the process of replacing my control module right now. If you are in the same boat, there are used control modules on EBAY for about $100 or so. Also, there a couple vendors that will repair your module for about same price.

There is no reprogramming required to replace the control module.

Mark

i can be easily separated from the

Old 12-12-2014, 10:52 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

I got a rebuilt module locally for $125 exchange, swapped in under 15 minutes.