X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 02:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AC Issues

I noticed my AC fluctuates between cool and cold air. It will blow cool air about 85% of the time and the other 15% of the time I'll get cold air. The cold air sometimes lasts a few seconds, sometimes it lasts several minutes, but then it's back to cool air again. The cool air seems to be the dominant temperature, though.

Since I am capable of getting cold air, is it a safe assumption that the compressor and refrigerant are fine? Does this sound like a blend door issue? I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to HVAC systems.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:41 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

It honestly sounds like the A/C system has not been maintained and therefore something is broken, (I'm a genius huh?) The A/C compressors on our Jaguars are prone to leaking, that might be what's going on. Or the dryers need to be replaced. So, if it were me, I'd replace the compressor and the upper and lower lines.

2002 Jaguar X Type AC Kit Parts from Buy Auto Parts

Old 06-27-2014, 02:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Justicejamesb
It honestly sounds like the A/C system has not been maintained and therefore something is broken, (I'm a genius huh?) The A/C compressors on our Jaguars are prone to leaking, that might be what's going on. Or the dryers need to be replaced. So, if it were me, I'd replace the compressor and the upper and lower lines.

2002*Jaguar*X Type*AC Kit Parts from Buy Auto Parts
Oh fun, just what I was hoping to hear, haha!

I actually like the heat. I can count, on one hand, the number of times I've used the AC in my Miata... though I suppose it's different when you have the ability to drop the top, which I can't do on the Jaguar.

Given how infrequently I use AC, I might just live with it since this is a commuter/winter car for me.

As long as my heat functions normally come winter I'll be alright... I think.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rjs5689
I noticed my AC fluctuates between cool and cold air. It will blow cool air about 85% of the time and the other 15% of the time I'll get cold air. The cold air sometimes lasts a few seconds, sometimes it lasts several minutes, but then it's back to cool air again. The cool air seems to be the dominant temperature, though.

Since I am capable of getting cold air, is it a safe assumption that the compressor and refrigerant are fine? Does this sound like a blend door issue? I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to HVAC systems.
There's a good chance you are right about it being the outside air blend door being loose. There's a service bulletin specifically for that. I'm in the process of fixing the same problem on my 2002. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to get to.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just finished fixing the blend door. What a difference!

The test to see if that's the problem is simple enough. Just turn the fan on high. There should be a noticable change in the sound when the recirculate button is pushed.

Before the fix I would push recirculate and I wasn't sure if the sound was changing or not. Maybe a little change? Maybe not? Just not sure...

After the fix the sound change is very noticable. There's no question. And the A/C air is now really cold when in the recirculate position.

It was a difficult job, but well worth it.