Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident!! Near Slid!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Accident!! Near Slid!!!!

Well I guess agree to disagree on this point...in Canada the snow is a little bit different I'd imagine...here in Michigan the salt from a previous snow storm usually will even melt fresh snow falling! I know the salt falling off of my car melts the snow!! hahahahh...as michigan is known for that! My deductible is 500 so snow tires aren't less expensive...Me on the other hand I have no problems saying that I pay payments on my car...I still owe more than my cars worth!

Old 12-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm currently riding on the pirelli pzer nero 225/40/18s. i was driving down a street (slightly downhill) at less than 5mph. there was some snow on the road and i slowed down to stop at the intersection at the end of the street... slid right into the intersection! good god. :-P

i think i'm going to have to put on some cheap all-weather tires that have good grip until the weather gets better. slow down in the snow... i was driving at a snail's pace and still lost control.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i run the same pirelli tires, but only for the summer on the good rims. i agree, with the slightest amount of snow or ice they are worthless.then again they are a summer performance tire and not even an all season. bridgestone blizzaks sit on the stock rims for the winter.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know why you would want to take a turn in neutral when the weather is bad. A stick is useful on turns like that so you can engine brake without have to use the pedal brake. People that can't properly downshift tend to make a dangerous habit of cruising in neutral. Maybe you just need to take lessons so you know what that stick is capable of doing.....

Old 12-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member

As I said I agree to disagree as I will NEVER BUY SNOW TIRES!!! YOU CANNOT CONVINCE ME SO WHY DON'T YOU QUIT???

Snow tires do cost more and they don't last so yes they are more expensive...we've put a figure of 700 on a set but take into account that you'd be lucky to get 2 winters out of snow tires...I've driven through freaking Canada in the middle of winter and everything up there is different irregardless of the latitude and longitude of your country compared to Michigan. From what I noticed your country used sand not salt. Our state uses so much salt that....I'm not getting into it again..you'll never get me to switch and if I do get into an accident because of not owning snow tires I'm still not going to come on here and tell you that you were in fact right...shoot I'd be happy to total the car (given nobody got hurt) as I'd be out of the payment! You'd rather roll snow tires as your deductible isn't worth touching me on the other hand 500 for my deductible is much more in reach and would never want to waste the money on those tires I'd get a set of all season tires like I've said from the get go...

Old 12-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aquil I completly agree, thank you very much. My point, here it snows for one day and just be cautious then the next deal its completely gone. Instead of paying $700 for tires Id rather buy new all season tires, rims, or fix my car with repairs that it needs. As aquil said same here, cobvince me or not im never gonna buy snow tires.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  7.4 KB

Quite a debate we got goin on here.....lol

Re snow tyres... We can get some fairly bad winters over here and just drive accordingly. Ie - slow n carefully with no need for snow tyres. No one I have ever known uses them....but its all down to personal choice like everything else I guess.
I've never used them in 25 + years of driving and never been a cause for concern for me.

Re coasting in neutral - Never the best idea and the cost savings are minimal at best, if at all. The total loss of control under these circumstances is much more a cause for serious concern.
With regard to sitting in traffic or at stop lights in first gear with the clutch engaged.
I saw it in action once. A guy was sitting in standstill traffic obviously in first gear ready to go. A car came outta nowhere and tried to stop but couldn't in time. The guy in front luckily saw him and managed to pull forward 2-3 feet just in time before the guy woulda slammed into the back of him. The quick thinkin and 2-3 feet saved a pretty bad rear end shunt!

Jim

Old 12-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

That happened to me come to think of it a few weeks ago now...I was turning left into a business on a 4 lane road (2 lanes going north 2 lanes going south) I looked back and noticed this guy doing about 40 miles an hour all of a sudden get the jerk forward or lunge of his entire front end because he didn't know what a blinking blinker stood for...needless to say if I wouldn't have been in 1st gear in my 5 speed escape...baby was in the car too![sm=noooo.gif]

Old 12-10-2007, 10:05 PM

Yes aquil and Jim I understand in the winter but even in the summer time people do it when they are just driving normally not racing or anything. I just think of them that they need to some lessons to take for a standard lol.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:53 PM

ORIGINAL: jasonzimbran

Yes aquil and Jim I understand in the winter but even in the summer time people do it when they are just driving normally not racing or anything. I just think of them that they need to some lessons to take for a standard lol.
this assumption is based on your years of driving experience? 3 people in a row just told you why people leave it in first gear while at astop yet you still think said people need to take lessons for driving a manual? i think you have that a little backwards.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to shine some light w/o reading all this flamming going back and forth.

Aquill is going on to a Buick so who cares what he thinks about snow tires (tyres for you bloody *******s ) !!!

1.) If you've never used snow tires, I don't think you should have any input.

2.) If you're driving summer tires, I don't care if you're AWD, you're screwed

3.) Aquill is right, you can get away safely w/a dedicated all-season in the snow. Trust me, I drove the X-type through the snow recently w/the original all-seasons and it's pretty good. Now if you ask me to put my neck on the line w/my Blizzaks on my Contour vs. the X-type, I'm going to have to edge w/the Contour. Why? Stopping distances, overall handling and response...Again, far be it for me to claim this as valid, it is just my opinion from what I have experienced.

4.) Being AWD, a good all-season will do the job. Even w/FWD you can get away with it. RWD, forgetaboutit.

5.) Where the hell are you people buying tires from??? $700??? WTF, probably the same place you buy $30 oil filters and $50 air filters....shesh

6.) Who the hell wears down snow tires in 2 seasons? Yeah, if you're putting them on in September and taking them off in July. Idiots!!!! Case in point, bought used Blizzaks w/three seasons on them. It's now been 2 years. I still have almost 60% tread. This is the soft blizzak compound, too.

7.) Screw you all b/c my dd is running one winter tire, one crappy (Kelly tire, baby!) all-season and two really crappy summers. I haven't had the time, nor have we had the significant snow fall yet to warrant switching.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:54 AM

Nineball if you come into this forum like that, then pay attention what is going on please. They all refered to winter driving I meant in all the other season driving. Another thing, almost 5-6 agreed on my part about snow tires so come on nineball just give up,

Old 12-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Snow tires are also another thing to make stupid people that can't drive make them feel more safe and coninue to use terrible driving habits. My whole point in this is that taking your driving habits and adjusting to the conditions you don't absolutely NEED snow tires...YES/NO???

When have snow tires been cheaper or less expensive than summer tires? I can get a set of 4 bridgestone potenza all season tires for 430 installed...

Hey guys let me put it this way if I could get a set of snow tires for $430 installed I would for sure buy them. For the price tag that I was quoted for snow tires you could never get me to get them...I loved the dunlops that I had the guy pull out for me at belle tire but when he told me the price I about crapped my pants...I agree the compound compared to all season is totally different...the tires are like gum it is so soft, the size is smaller so you don't just plow the snow driving down the road but still I'd rather adjust my driving habits and if I had to stay off the roads while it was bad weather. Another thing is that everything that I'd ever need to get on the road for is within a mile or two of me not to mention we live where my wife works so money for snow tires would never be coming out of my checking account!

Old 12-11-2007, 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: jasonzimbran

Nineball if you come into this forum like that, then pay attention what is going on please. They all refered to winter driving I meant in all the other season driving. Another thing, almost 5-6 agreed on my part about snow tires so come on nineball just give up,
/sigh

You need to work on your grammar and comprehension skills my friend as you are having a hard time following the discussion pattern in this thread. Thistopic is done. I forgot that at 15 you have vast amounts of expertise in driving and things associated with it.

Thank your parents they bought you such a nice car before you are legally allowed to drive.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:34 PM

Nineball, my spelling is well, ok. Second of all I earned my money and I worked hard for my money. Just keep buying snow tires and I will have thousands more in my pocket than you. My car is all paid off no loans or anything. Title in hand. I will stick with all season tires, thank you very much. Case closed then.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  7.4 KB

[sm=sigh.gif]....BO
I never told anyone NOT to use snow tyres. I'm sure that as that was what they were designed for they are better for handling / stopping / braking etc.....I never said that they weren't as far as I can recollect.

What I said was, We tend to get a fair amount of snow over here year after year and I know very few people that have ever used them, none in fact.
I believe that if you are a competent driver with years of driving experience and know how to handle a car in these conditions that snow tyres aren't necessary. Common sense and sensible speeds have always seen me through the winter.....maybe thats just me.
But hey.....If you need them you need them.
Everyone to their own as with everything else.

Jim

Old 12-11-2007, 06:58 PM

Jim thats my point, I never said snow tires dont help or anything, I all I said its a waste of money to me. Look for the past week it hasnt snowed its been dry all week on the road, and people using snow tires now. What use would I have for them. I just hate when people respond like an ***. Also another thing people having their first gear engaged even in the winter isnt the smartest thing. If 2nd 3rd 4th etc out of the traffic and you see this guy not stopping are you gonna run into the guy in front of you??????? Also as no one responded to my question, where do people stay with their first gear engaged???? People change their clutch at 40k miles and wonder what they did wrong.

Quick Reply: Accident!! Near Slid!!!!