X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Nav for X

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Nav for X

Looking to replace factory CD/radio (not premium) with aftermarket unit with navigation, I really like Garmin so would prefer nav unit to be based on that, looking for nice sound but anything as good or better than factory is fine, what fits and does anybody have any recommendations based on experience, as i say I particularly like Garmin.
I would prefer the non-popup style (double din?) and am looking for something mid range, not cheapy but not most spendy either.

Thanks for feedback...

Old 04-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Based on what I have seen so far, unless you install a jag navi system. Apparently dealer won't do it and it seems to be pretty complicated to do on your own, all the after market solutions are trade-offs in terms of look and feel. Here is what I found:

1. The head unit is placed too low in the console so you're looking down at the navi.

2. You need a console adapter and the end result in my opinion does not look well integrated.

3. But, you have no exposed wires, a one stop fully integrated system.

Options:

1. Get the jag ACM. You get multi AUX/USB interface to play/charge almost any mp3/phone system. Plus it is neatly hidden in the center arm rest. This addresses the no AUX problem of the factory unit. Plus in my opinion is a great solution if you use iPod/iPhone since you control everything from your stock controls.

2. Get a portable GPS unit. I use my iPhone. If you want a permanent install use a solution like Pro-clip. You can place the navi unit at eye level. The installation looks well integrated and in the case of an iPhone they even have a permanent powered dock.

3. In my case I use the Navigon iPhone dock which has the same finish as the x type center and has excellent build quality. It comes with a USB charging cable that you can use as needed. I think the look is pretty clean and the navigation features beats anything I have seen in an in car system it portable navi. It's also very fast.

4. The only problem with the ACM + external GPS is that the GPS audio isn't connected to the car. You can of course connect it to the ACM. However, even if it isn't connected to the ACM, if you're using a smartphone like the iPhone for GPS, when a call comes in or if you dial out the Bluetooth in the car will halt the music and route the call to handsfree mode.

My current x type is the first car I've had since 2003 without inbuilt GPS, but it had the most effective GPS system from a usability perspective. Doesn't look bad either!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Installation of the Jag Sat Nav with touchscreen is easy and there is a step by step guide on the UK forum showing which bits you need to buy and how to do the job

Old 04-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to swap factory nav with aftermarket and if so how how would hvac work? Is it possible to have hvac controls on the new unit

Old 04-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

From what I gather swapping in a double din unit isn't too much of a chore, Metra makes the piece to adapt the dash / console, you need a certain depth unit because the AC unit is right behind it so you're constrained. Dennis Blach has a whole write up if you search. He lists every piece needed and dimensions. I think if you put in the fascia piece you can get an installer to do the rest.
Swapping in the Jag NAV unit is more of a chore and super expensive. The information runs off a DVD in the trunk, not the stacker a separate DVD player just for the map disk.

The following users liked this post:
jagkid (04-12-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you like Garmin, get a Kenwood headunit. Garmin does the GPS on all of their headunits. I have it in mine and I love it. Really user friendly.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:21 AM

i saw that thread eariler and no one addressed the a/c hvac issue. im sick of the facotry unit but dont know how ill control the a/c if i do as there are no external controls for it

Old 04-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jagkid
i saw that thread eariler and no one addressed the a/c hvac issue. im sick of the facotry unit but dont know how ill control the a/c if i do as there are no external controls for it
Not sure what you mean, the HVAC controls are separate from the radio controls, regardless if you have a nav system or not. Wen you replace the radio with a double din unit the heater controls above the radio stay there. Although they come out together you can separate them and reinstall the heater controls.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by BuckMR2
Installation of the Jag Sat Nav with touchscreen is easy and there is a step by step guide on the UK forum showing which bits you need to buy and how to do the job
I think the hardest part is making the electrical harness. As far as I know you can't buy it anywhere.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by jagkid
Just curious. Part from the GPS what do you not like about the stock head unit?

Old 04-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 392 Likes on 289 Posts

i have a write up somewhere on one of these forums

Old 04-15-2011, 05:01 PM

Not all of the hvac controls are under the screen only auto, speed, defroster and temp. The control for the vents are done through the screen. I guess I could leave it auto, that's not such a bad trade off I guess.... And I don't like how slow it is and how they left mid eq level control on a premium stereo is beyond me. Plus it could use a better range eq altogether. And routing is never smart it gets you there yes, but when I use Tom Tom or navigon on my phone they always set much better routes and more optional routes Also it gets stumped on highway Like us1 if it's actually called rt1 it won't give options to pick the right name it just gets stumped and gives you nothing

Old 04-18-2011, 09:41 PM

So I guess nobody has changed out the stereo based on the responses - if you have tell me how I would know what fits and works well - Kenwood sounds like a good place to start

Old 04-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aznewsh
So I guess nobody has changed out the stereo based on the responses - if you have tell me how I would know what fits and works well - Kenwood sounds like a good place to start

Have you bothered to look here: Audio/Visual Electronics - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 04-22-2011, 12:57 PM

Is there a valid reason to adopt that tone, I thought message boards were a forum to ask questions!

Old 04-24-2011, 12:33 PM

Yesterday I was at a pretty reputable audio shop. They work on high end cars and I happened to see an S Type. So, not exactly the X, but close. They had just installed an after market Nav/ audio system. The head unit I believe was a Pioneer. Should have paid more attention to the model. They said the same install on my X Type would cost me $1850 without reversing camera or around $2200 with reversing and $2600 would get me voice controls. The $1850 also got you basic Bluetooth.

Compared to factory head unit you got the following extra:

Nav, iPod integration ( you'd need o add ACM on the factory unit), DVD,
reversing camera ready, sat radio ready

What you would lose

The Steering wheel control ( although it had it's own remote that you could use), not sure of others....

My impressions and feedback:
1. If navigation is your main priority then you should consider retrofitting a Jag OEM system. My dealer wants $1500 to install it ( amazing but they agreed to do it) and I've seen the system available on eBay for around $600. Plus the dealer said they had all the cables etc. So the cost was very comparable - $1850 v. Appox $2100.

2. The thing I did not like about the after market is that the screen sits much too low so using the screen can be a little distracting. The jag screen sits higher. Plus, with the jag system you get the super cool lleaper logo v. pioneer.

3. I thought there was too much empty space around the unit, although these guys did a really nice carbon fiber finish so it match the dash which was also carbon fiber. Did I say this was a sweet looking STR! Black with red/green accents.

4. The after market unit of course has way more features. But in my opinion does not look as well integrated as the OEM unit.

So it can be done, and apparently there are shops that even do it without too much trouble.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by BuckMR2
Buck just wanted to let you know that one of the jag dealers in my area does the retrofit and I believe actually use those instructions! The bonus is that the dealer provides the cable that connects the front with the back, so you don't have to fabricate it. They charge a reasonable $1500 labor ( includes updated Navi DVD which I believe is worth $200) to do the install

I just happened to ask and they said...yup.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:34 AM

Aluni said: What you would lose

The Steering wheel control ( although it had it's own remote that you could use), not sure of others....

THATS NOT TRUE
I have a Pioneer Avec 750 and my steering wheel controls work with this:

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=9075{4}14

Old 04-25-2011, 11:37 AM

Is there a valid reason to adopt that tone, I thought message boards were a forum to ask questions!
There was NO TONE involved... you made a statement and I simply pointed you in a direction to find an answer.

TRUST ME when I adopt a tone you'll know it

Old 04-25-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by RickBNA
Aluni said: What you would lose

THATS NOT TRUE
I have a Pioneer Avec 750 and my steering wheel controls work with this:

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=9075{4}14
I never saw it in action. Only what I was told. So strike that from the con list.

Last edited by aluni2230; 04-25-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Nav for X