X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket stuff

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aftermarket stuff

So I bought the chrome tail light trim for my car and I think it makes a difference. I bought pillar posts and chrome mirror covers. I am looking to do a mesh grill, my grill has some road chis is it worth $300 for a whole grill since the mesh would look new and the frame would look old. Also I was giving it some thought, are 8000k brighter than the stock lights. I think they look much nicer. The car has drilled slotted rotors and thats all for now. Also I saw these rims http://www.wheelmax.com/product.asp?ProdId=14911
On stock tires, are 17x7 good rims or do they have to be 17x7.5. Any other ideas to do on my car. Also my car is british racing green.
Also like these rims, http://www.wheelmax.com/product.asp?ProdId=21765, any opinions?

Old 12-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Default RE: Aftermarket stuff

for the ten thousandth time...8000k HIDs give off very little light. Get the 6000k, i have the 8's, and trust me they suck. No ones going to look that closely at your grille, just get the insert and save the $200. Those wheels look cheap and cheesy, stick to the OEM's if you want bigger wheels. Get the arubas, proteus or melbournes. at least they wont rub.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:22 PM

Bojangles I dont have my license yet so I wont buy winter tires and even when I will get it, I wont get snow tires. Well I just got the chrome mirror covers and pillar posts and makes a huge difference. I like those chrome rims. How much is it to lower the car by about 1.5". Also I dont need very bright lights as my city isnt very dark at all, I just like the blue.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE YOUR LICENSE YET AND YOU SOMEHOW MANAGED TO BUY THE CAR YOURSELF?

Old 12-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

!?!

Old 12-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 12-13-2007, 03:21 PM

Yes Bigdreams I did manage to buy it with my own money and about $10k left, my parents are not rich just normal average people. I worked in construction for 5 months getting $8 an hour and about 25hours a week during the school year. Then I bought and sold some cars and made alot of money, so I have had a few cars and learned how to drive standard. So this is my story and its how I earned my money.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good on you! My first car was a beat down 2 door chevy caprice classic, but thats another story.

I think you're finding that people's tastes are very different, and probably get more conservative with age. My car? Bone stock, with only a humble grill change on the cards in the spring. I have done the rims, tint, etc on my previous cars, but somehow I dont like the look for my Jag, and quite frnakly I've grown tired of all the trimmings. The chrome trim for the lights, the chrome door posts, mirror covers, are all things I have seen on a number of different car makes, including BMW, Benz, Lex. While it can make your car look good, it can also make the car look like every other "hooked up" car, if you see what I mean, and overdone.

To each his own though. so long as you enjoy your ride

Old 12-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I lean more towards hoopty and someone trying to show off nearly way too much when every chrome piece is added...who are you trying to appeal to? The chrome prositute at the corner??? Chrome needs to be used in moderation!

Old 12-13-2007, 06:32 PM

yea, too much chrome is ugly. i don tlike the b and c pillars chromed nor the head/tail light trim. I only used OEM chrome on the side mirrors. Looks alot classier. You live in the city? what a coincidence, I live in New york city, and 8000ks, still suck, get the 6000k. But get you're liscence first little killa.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Those mirror chromes are AWESOME! That is the best chrome on a car! I'd almost put those on my sport (non-chrome!)

Old 12-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give em a break he's young (no offense) But think of some of the stuff you guys like when you were in your teens. To each his/her on wheels. I can give you some advice on asking people's opinion on your car. Its YOUR car and what you do it should reflect YOUR personality. Thats how the aftermarket got to where it is. Im not bashing anyone here either, im just saying its an important thing to learn early on. Personally at your age i think you picked the wrong car. Every report ive read pretty much said stay away from this car. I only say at your age because there are plenty better things to spend your youth and money on, than repairs.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  7.4 KB

Got a few good points there cougar.

I remember when I was a teenager ( barely ) and some of the stuff I did to my cars then was so silly, lookin back and a real big waste of money, but you live n learn I guess.
Do whatever makes you happy Jase, but just remember, when you do and ignore the advice of those " all knowing old fogies" probably 9 times outta 10 you' ll look back and think..............damn......they were right....lol
Of course, you'll never ever admit that, will you?
I never did......rofl

Jim

Old 12-13-2007, 09:49 PM

Lol, well today I put on the chrome pillar posts and the chrome mirror covers, my opinion, THEY MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE. If anyone wants them the mirror covers go about $90 including shipping and paid about $65 for pillar with shipping. Looking for some wheels that are 17" or 18" and wont rub. Not chrome because I thought about it and id like to keep them year round, so the chrome doesnt peel off. If anyone can find any for me please post the link. I want RIMS!!!

Old 12-13-2007, 09:51 PM

Cougar, I mean its fits me I think, its a sport luxury car. At least I can race the guys at my school lol jk. Alot of people at my school are with honda civic 1992 1993 Si etc. I am not that kind of person to buy a junk car than invest $10k in dumb things.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

Hey I think I'm still young and the only chrome I really get into is pretty much rims. I love rims and generally not the big stuff just stuff that looks good on the car...
These were cars I had within the last couple of years I'd like to think they were classy

If you notice no chrome or at least least amount possible

Hey jason with your color car I'd honestly say go chrome. With everything else on your car being chrome now you have to! The look of chrome is totally worth the 8 month you get to drive on them...trust me! I'd much rather have chrome...to think of it I wish I had the 18's I had on my monte. They actually make them with our bolt pattern that would fit our cars but I think the price with tires is about 1600. Trust me you won't be disappointed with chrome at all! Not to mention you can waste your money I mean spend your money and put snow tires on your stock rims!!!j/k do whatever you want to

If it were me though and I had the money to spend I'd use that money for some nice chrome rims especially with a dark colored car like you have and especially with all the other chrome already on the car.

If you don't want chrome try tirerack.com they will have plenty of rims and I don't think they sell a rim wider than 7.5 at least not for sport models so the fitment is dead on and no worries about rubbing. You'll be getting stock rims for the ideal ride and fitment. They have some relatively low priced rims on their that are alloy or silver and not chrome...me though I'd go chrome!

Old 12-13-2007, 11:03 PM

Yeah im gonna think about it. Do you like the chrome rims that I posted? I am afraid at school kids will scratch up my car

Quick Reply: Aftermarket stuff