Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 06:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning

02 X Type 3.0
Sometimes it seems like the AC is not blowing cold air, it's as low as it goes and it's set to circulate the inside air. However it seems like it only blows cold air when I am accelerating. If I'm sitting in the parking lot, it is very noticable that it's not blowing cold. Anyone have this problem or know why this is?

Old 07-30-2012, 06:44 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Have you seen this TSB

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
JTB00183NAS1[1] AC Valve.pdf (142.3 KB, 218 views)
Old 07-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Jagm1979, You might also want to check behind the cabin filter to make sure the flap is shut. If you can see the fan, when on recirculate, then it's stuck open.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:40 PM

About the TSB, Norri...

Does that mean that the whole procedure is just to reverse the valve and the spring? This is all I got from that and sounds strange that it's really just an assembly error, and even stranger that it worked at all in that (incorrect) configuration!

Anyway, my S-type (2003) is also not cooling when stopped in traffic and is much cooler when driving, almost as if there's not enough air going through the condenser, leading me to believe the fan wasn't working, though it was. Does the fan have 2 speeds or just one?

Also, is it normal for the (cabin) fan to blow hard when set to AUTO, even when the A/C temperature is cool (ie: when driving)?

I had another car (not a Jag) where the fan slowed down considerably once the cabin temperature dropped, but with the S-type, the fan does slow down from when I start it, but anyway continues to blow a lot of air and never really goes to low unless I put the fan in manual mode. Although the temperature is comfortable, the fan is noisy, which deters from the rest of the quiet environment. Of course, if the alternative is to be hot, then I'll have to put up with the noise.

So basically, I don't know if the problem is that it needs more gas or if the condenser is too clogged for the air flow coming from just the fan... or... needs to implement that TSB (hoping it's not hard to get to!).

Thanks for your help and input.

Morris

Old 07-30-2012, 03:54 PM

It's not an assembly error, the change forces the compressor to provide maximum output all the time.
What engine do you have? The mod is supposed to be only for V6s though some have said it works on the 8s also.
The fan should slow as the cabin temp drops, have you tried cleaning the sensor behind the little grille above the ignition key?
It gets covered in fluff and dirt easily, the grille just pops out and you can clean it through the opening.
It's above the key in the US may be different in the UK but it's going to be around the steering column anyway.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:39 PM

Thanks Norri!

Just changed my signature to reflect the engine being the 3.0 (V6) - so this fix should apply to mine.

I did in fact look at the sensor a few days ago (just out of curiosity only) but can't remember seeing any fluff or anything out of the ordinary anyway. Will have to look again. The sensor in the UK car (unless I'm mistaken) is on the other side (see photo here: http://pictures2.autotrader.co.uk/im...?id=2106050674) - looks exactly like my car but isn't.

So I take it the fan should go to the low setting (or quiet), at some point, right? In my case at no time does it go that quiet and note that it's anything BUT hot right now (around 20c or about 72f). I've set the temperature to 22c and still the fan blows reasonably fast, though slower than when I start the car - so something is working, but clearly not sensing the cabin temperature correctly I guess.

I've only come across this problem (of the temperature rising when car is still) once in this forum - or this very thread. Can you confirm if the TSB is the known fix for this problem or could there be other issues that I may need to look at, like the radiator fan running too slow (in fact it does run, but can hardly hear it). Engine temperature is always right in the middle of the guage, so at least the engine is getting enough cooling!

If this is the solution (or likely solution), is that cover plate easy to get to or do I have to dismantle many things and/or including the compressor, to get to it? Should I also get the O-ring (the TSB hints to "replace if necessary") - suppose I may as well at this point...

Not very clear, but re-reading the TSB it almost looks like the compressor has to be removed as it talks about "recover the Air Conditioning (A/C) system" - I take it to mean it's recovering the gas?

Sadly, it's starting to look like a lot of time and effort will need to be put into this solution and unfortunately I don't have the time right now and really don't want to take it to the dealer either...

Many thanks!

Morris

Old 07-30-2012, 04:51 PM

Morris, I don't want to hijack this thread so I'm going to copy your posts over to the S Type section. You can find it here Ac tsb