X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Always falling X-Type values..

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down Always falling X-Type values..

Well today I decided to go by my local Jaguar dealer and see what pre-owned Jaguars they had in stock. They had a nice 04 XJ with low miles that I really liked. I talked to the salesman who originally sold me my X and he said that he would give me $6500 for it as a trade. He showed me that its the wholesale price and that retail is only 10-11g's, so its better to sell it privately.

Needless to say I didnt trade my car in for that XJ.. And it made me think about the always dropping values of our cars. I guess I will keep it until the wheels fall off and I cant drive it anymore..

Anyone else annoyed about the value of our X-Type?

*** In the showroom they had a brand new XK vert.. It had dealer installed 20 inch chrome Jaguar wheels @ $12,995 for the rim/tire package!!! I find that to be INSANE..***

Old 05-06-2010, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Eh, it is what it is. You got a deal if you bought yours used based on the same issue. There is always a chance that if you sell privately you can get someone to overpay a little bit because they are such sharp looking cars. My car is about 8 years old, so I don't expect much anyway.

You want to talk depreciation, my Rover was about $60k when new, now it's worth maybe $5k (in very good/excellent condition) if you are lucky. Probably less.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya no you could always trade that in for a Toyota!

Old 05-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete04xtype
Well today I decided to go by my local Jaguar dealer and see what pre-owned Jaguars they had in stock. They had a nice 04 XJ with low miles that I really liked. I talked to the salesman who originally sold me my X and he said that he would give me $6500 for it as a trade. He showed me that its the wholesale price and that retail is only 10-11g's, so its better to sell it privately.

Needless to say I didnt trade my car in for that XJ.. And it made me think about the always dropping values of our cars. I guess I will keep it until the wheels fall off and I cant drive it anymore..

Anyone else annoyed about the value of our X-Type?

*** In the showroom they had a brand new XK vert.. It had dealer installed 20 inch chrome Jaguar wheels @ $12,995 for the rim/tire package!!! I find that to be INSANE..***
So you're better off trading in a used jaguar for another used jaguar. In general, at least in Washington DC area the price of a used 2007 Jag x type and 2007 Mercedes C280 4 Matic are within $1500 of each other. Not a huge gap. I know because I own both. I bought the C280 new and the x type was under a year old when I bought it. However, the MSRP on both as configured were about the same.

However, in the private market Hondas and Acuras tend to have much better re-sale values. I purchased an Acura Integra GSR (sedan) for $17K (used) in 1999 and sold it for $6000 in 2010 after driving it for 100K miles. I also used to have an Acura TL that held it's value remarkably well. Both sold within days of posting ads (the Integra got offers within an hour!).

Having said all that, the x type is still the favorite car I've owned. Has the worst resale value of any car I've ever owned, but I see that as an advantage for me since I bought it almost new and it cost me what I would have paid for a Toyota Camry at the time.

To me, having a low resale value simply tells me that I should buy a lightly used car as opposed to a new. My eyes are on trading in/selling my C280 for a 2009 XF...probably in a month or so.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by jonre
ya no you could always trade that in for a Toyota!
hahhaa

As for price of Jags, they always loose so much value. It would seem no matter where you are in the world. For people like me its good as I bought mine when its lost most of its value, hence getting a real bargain. Allot of car for the money.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:27 PM

But can anyone please explain to me as to why the value drops so much so fast???

Old 05-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aluni2230
So you're better off trading in a used jaguar for another used jaguar.
2 reasons why I want to trade my X-Type..

1) Now that I live out in Nassau County my commute has gone from 3 minutes no traffic to 25 minutes with no traffic. On my way home there is always traffic so my commute is 40 minutes to 1 hour. And I am tired of sitting in traffic with the manual trans.

2) My wife can not drive my X, nor does she want to learn how. I would like to upgrade to a clean S-Type R or XJ and have the automatic. Now with the low value of my X I guess I am going to hang on to it for a while longer.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

i saw a used 02 or 03 s-type for 9,999 so the resale value cant be much better than the x's

Old 05-06-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by maydayny
But can anyone please explain to me as to why the value drops so much so fast???
because its not a real jaguar, as someone said here its a copy of UK's ford mondeo( US-contour )with a little more gizmo's. I Have a Xtype that was built in the UK but its owned by ford so "mostly all" the parts have a FORD stamped on it, and if its stamped with Jaguar and you do a part number search on that item , its made by ford.

Ford is a good brand! but not in resale. I had a ford focus before my jag and i had the hardest time selling it even with the low miles i had on it. But i love my jaguar as it a big step up from my focus.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

because its not a real jaguar
Hold on there partner, them's fightin' words.

Couldn't find Yosimite Sam so Tweety will have to do!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by mohrd
Hold on there partner, them's fightin' words.

Couldn't find Yosimite Sam so Tweety will have to do!

well i didnt make the car. lol!

Old 05-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  19.3 KB

Loved my X type and deffo would buy another. As for the resale value?
I got mine cheap as chips around 4 years old with 16k miles on the clock, almost mint condition for £10k and lost a fair bit when I sold her a year or so later.
Thems the breaks though...If it hadn't lost so much in the first place I probably wouldn't have bought her...I had so much fun in her and always always got looks everywhere I went.
It was worth it...for me

Old 05-06-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64

Loved my X type and deffo would buy another. As for the resale value?
I got mine cheap as chips around 4 years old with 16k miles on the clock, almost mint condition for £10k and lost a fair bit when I sold her a year or so later.
Thems the breaks though...If it hadn't lost so much in the first place I probably wouldn't have bought her...I had so much fun in her and always always got looks everywhere I went.
It was worth it...for me
same here!!! I still have mine but with the mile i have on it now i should be looken around for another one soon. there's way to much posts here with problems and i dont want contribute with that. definitely will buy another X if i can find one with low miles.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL....I didn't buy a X to be a driveway queen. It was purchased to be stylin' on a 140 mile commute over a twisty, mountain highway. I've put 10K on the bitch since I bought it in early Jan. I bought it to drive, so that's what I'm doing! Resale value? We don need no stinkin' resale value!

Old 05-06-2010, 10:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hah - I owned 14 Chryslers over the years. The 2 X Types I've owned didn't depreciate near as bad as they did.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 05-07-2010, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Speaking of depreciation value ... Glad, you don't own a Maybach .Depreciation value per week is so deep that you could buy a decent X Type every week for that money lol

Old 05-07-2010, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

^ or a VW Phaeton, the price of those things dropped like a stone since they were such a dud. But in the secondhand market that is a good thing, you can find a nice example very cheap and they seem to be a pretty solid car.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

1) Now that I live out in Nassau County my commute has gone from 3 minutes no traffic to 25 minutes with no traffic. On my way home there is always traffic so my commute is 40 minutes to 1 hour. And I am tired of sitting in traffic with the manual trans.

2) My wife can not drive my X, nor does she want to learn how. I would like to upgrade to a clean S-Type R or XJ and have the automatic. Now with the low value of my X I guess I am going to hang on to it for a while longer.
In my case I was able to sell in a private sale my 1999 Acura Integra GSR for $5995, when the dealer offered my $1500 as a trade in! He also showed me a retail value of $3000. I thought my car was worth more than either of those values and luckily someone else did as well! Like I said, even at $5995 I had multiple callers interested.

Having now gone through multiple buys and sells of cars (I have never leased or bought a car on installment) my experience is that the net out of pocket costs of comparable cars are much closer than people believe. For instance, in my case back in 2007 if I had bought my x type brand new and as configured would have cost me around $35,000. Compare that to a brand new C280 4 Matic that I DID buy for around $39,000. Just looking at the Edmunds Blue Book values between the 2 cars the difference is around $5000 between the two ($15K for the Jag and $20K for the C280). In terms of maintenance I can comfortably say that I spent well over $1K on the upkeep of the C280 v. the x type. So the real cost of ownership are not very different.

Another interesting metric is that in the DC area, while the C280 and x type have a Market Value difference of $5K according to Edmunds - IF you were to go to a retailer (i.e. car dealer) the price difference between certified x types and certified C280s are around $2K. Not only that, but I know that on average used x types sit on the lot for a lot less time than the C280! Which all means that you're better of trying to sell an x type by yourself! That was the reason I decided to sell my C280 to get an XF (not yet finalized) and not the x type. I enjoy the x type more and it made more sense to trade in the C280.

Now, in terms of $ lost (% depreciation is a highly deceptive metric since people spend $ and not %) the more expensive the car you buy the more you lose. For instance, you lose much more in terms of $ on a yearly basis on a 7 series BMW than on a 3 series. The same goes for X type v. XJ. A colleague at work recently bought a 2007 Masseratti Quatroporte for $40K. I am guessing new it was around $120K plus!

Among the European brands I find (in Washington DC) probably BMW's hold slightly more value (in terms of $/year) than other brands. But the difference is not significant - especially when you consider that most BMWs are configured to be much higher than the base price. - everything is extra, even leather seats!

Old 05-08-2010, 08:37 AM

because its not a real jaguar,
funny, the last time I looked, my title said Jaguar and there was a kitty leaping from the hood.....seems REAL to me!!

Old 05-09-2010, 12:18 PM

Pete!
What do you mean you're your wife can't drive the X-Type? I assume you mean it's a manual?

Quick Reply: Always falling X-Type values..