X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another X-Type Transmission woe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another X-Type Transmission woe?

This may be a bit convoluted. I own a 2002 3.0 V6 Auto X-Type saloon. After MOT I picked up the car today after having both side sills replaced (local manufacture), costly, buy still not worth cashing in. Also, the faulty ABS and Engine warning light was traced to the Driveshaft Sensor - this was replaced (Driveshaft), by now I'm thinking, really, is it worth it. Anyway, work complete, I drive away relatively happy. 15 miles later I'm driving into my house after happily pushing the revs, the car then can't make it up the very slight incline - no warning, no bang, no crunch. High revs, tiny movement fwd. High revs, tiny movement backwards (in reverse incase you were wondering) - put into park, some strange clicking noises, but car doesn't 'park', just rolls. Slips through all the auto gears fine, including the 2,3,4 - lights on the auto changer. So, is this a coincidental problem - or has the newly applied (but cheaply acquired) driveshaft cone Kaputt. The garage are coming over tomorrow - I know that it's not going to be fixed here, but I would like some idea as to if I am going to pay for a disappointment, or if I may be lucky!

Last edited by Alfie B; 02-21-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:01 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Which driveshaft was replaced?

Old 02-22-2017, 01:09 AM

Thanks swingwing. I'm not sure and wouldn't want to second guess. The rear near side ABS sensor was showing the fault, but I don't think this was relevant to the driveshaft that was replaced. I assume from the question that this could be a cause of the symptoms? If it's the transmission it could be the sad tow to graveyard.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:19 PM
Default Fixed

Drivers side, rear driveshaft was the problem . Replaced, fixed. Job done. An honest mechanic. I'll give the car another year.