X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autosave Coolant mixture

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Autosave Coolant mixture

Upon purchasing my 2003 X type 2.5L, I was given a 5yr/100,000 mile extended warranty. I received the paperwork for this extended warranty. There are several stipulations for my vehicle to be covered including using the Autosave coolant mixture. I can't find any info on this product, it's apparently only available through the warranty co. What are your thoughts on this, I am very skeptical. Any info is greatly appreciated

Old 06-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

They seem to have a stipulation that you add their own special "juice(s)" to your coolant (and oil), you can read about it here.

You can't just add it yourself, either - you must have it added by and "approved major facility" or somesuch nonsense ("handwritten receipt not valid")

They list the US telephone number of 800-684-1175 as the "Where Can I Buy It" information number.

You must also have a bottle of this Secret Sauce for Trannys poured into your tranny for the "warranty" the dealer sold you to be any good, too. I would be tempted to take this "Warranty" back to the dealer you purchased the car from and stick it in his ear.

"ENGINE and WATER PUMP*
All internally lubricated parts of engine, including pistons, piston rings, piston pins, crankshaft and main bearings, connecting rods and rod bearings, camshaft and camshaft bearings, timing chain and timing gears, Intake and exhaust valves, valve springs, oil pump, push rods, rocker arms, hydraulic lifters, rocker arm shafts and water pump. The Engine Block and Cylinder Heads are also covered if the above-listed parts caused a mechanical failure. Does not include any other parts."

"TRANSMISSION*
Internally lubricated parts of manual or automatic transmissions, including torque converter, oil pump, governor, bands, drums, planetaries, sun gear and shell, spring(s), shaft(s), bearings, shift rail, forks, synchronizers, and most internally lubricated parts of the 4x4 Transfer Case. Damage resulting from failures by related parts or units such as but not limited to: levers, controls, linkage, cables, radiator, coolers, rubber mounts, external oil lines, viscous couplings, drive axles and electronic components, internal or external, to the engine and transmission are not covered."
You need a "true" warranty that will cover the rest of the car that is not bathed in this Secret Sauce. You were sold a Snake Oil Warranty by a Snake Oil Salesman!

On the bright side - your
sold you a nice car!

The following users liked this post:
carlinasj (06-21-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

That's got to be the slimiest snake oil scheme I've ever seen. From their FAQs:

Q.

How often do I need to have my oil changed?
A.

Every 4 months or 4,000 miles, whichever occurs first. (Receipts will need to be produced in event of a claim.)

What a waste of time and money. You'll end up paying more for the magic additive and oil changes than the warranty would ever save you, unless you're in the .0000001% that actually has an early problem that's covered. Run for the hills.

The following users liked this post:
carlinasj (06-21-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 AM

Thanks Mikey & Bruce, thats what I kinda thought too. So I cancelled the warranty and am getting a full refund! Now to find me a "legitimate" extended warranty. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Old 06-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Warranties are a high-profit item for most dealers, and you will pay about the same from any used car dealerships for the same warranty. That means there is a little wiggle-room on the price, but don't count on it.

If I were to walk in cold to buy one I would:

1. Deal with the most reputable used car dealership around, who
2. Has the best service shop in the area, and
3. Is actually able to work on Jaguar X-Types (is OK to ask for references!)

Then, I would go through the door and WALK PAST THE SALESMEN to the Office Manager, and ask "Who can help me with my warranty?". He will ask you what you need, just say "I have a number of questions about the coverage". He'll hand you off to the schmuck in the backroom who does the paperwork and sales "finalization's".

That "schmuck" is actually one of the best salesmen on the lot, but you have just bypassed the bottom-feeding commissioned salesmen out front in the lobby, so you have much more room to negotiate your final cost now.

(I'd shoot for a 20% discount, but 10% would be pretty good, too)

Buy the "Gold Package", the "Ultra Coverage" or whatever they call the top-'o-the-line coverage. Mine cost about $1,200 when I bought it, and it has paid itself back in spades, to the tune of almost more in service work and parts than I paid for the car.

Where they will "get" you is the fine print. With mine, I MUST have the oil and filter changed every 2,500 miles / 4 months by a "Certified Dealer" (them) for the coverage to really be in effect.

(Big Deal - it's a small price to pay I think!)

Best of luck, and let us know how you do.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by carlinasj
So I cancelled the warranty and am getting a full refund!
And they made you pay for this warranty on top of everything? Eeeeewwwww!

Old 06-21-2012, 06:54 PM

They claimed that it came with a "free" warranty, when in all actuallity what they did was lowered the price of the car and then added in the warranty to come up with the total price. So I am getting the refund on the price they added. Bottom line: I got a great 03 X-type 2.5L automatic, with 78,000 miles, all the maintenance records, manuals and 2 keys for $8,000!