X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

this is bad for my pocket

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default this is bad for my pocket

so i finally filled the fuel tank yday and as usual i used shell V-power. i decided to write down the milage and then colculate my MPG manually and amazingly am getting around 11.2MPG. am very gentle on the throttle and i mainly do city driving with a few tailbacks. currently the gauge is on the half mark and i have only done about 80miles( 415.4 - 494.6) This is rreally bad for my pocket as V-POWER is selling for $1.13/L or $6/gallon. so this is to everyone on this forum..... how do i improve my fuel economy? i have recently changed all 4tyres making sure the air pressures are adequate. i also changed the fuel filter and oil filter during my oil change. what can be the problem this time?

Old 06-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I also get when city driving...11-12 mpg and I drive very gently.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

baffourg, when you say in town driving, how many miles is your average trip? I say this because the X-Types are programmed with a very rich fuel setup when the motor is not up to temp. So, if you are doing a lot of trips in the 5 mile or so range, the motor is never quite getting up to temp, so, even doing mild accelerations will result in really bad mileage. What I would recommend you do is to get out and do a highway run of about 50 miles at 60+ mph and reset the mileage computer at the beginning of that run and report back as to what the mileage is then. That will put things on an even playing field. If you are getting above 22 mpg, then you are simply suffering from the rich fuel mixture and the car not getting up to temp. If you are getting under 22 mpg on the highway run, then we have somethign else to look at.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Drive carefully but you already said that . Don't drive your car with the windows rolled down , this also applies to sunroof .
Switching on A/C kills MPG but it's better rather than windows to get air

Old 07-01-2011, 04:10 PM

on the average i drive about 40miles to work and back and within 5mins of starting the car i notice the temp gauge is almost at the half mark, which i presume is the normal running temp.do u recon i wait till the temp reaches normal before i drive the car for better economy?i never drive the car with the windows down. i was thinking of adding fuel additives to the tank, but i read thermo's advice somewhere that its wrong to do that so i changed my mind cos i remember once when i added stop radiator leak into my bmw i ended up buying a new water pump,hose, new radiator and more. again when i started driving my car, anytime i fill up with something different from v-power i hear this rattling sound from the engine at 1st and 2nd gear but it stops when the transmission changes from 3rd. how do i get this resolved?

Old 07-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

damn thats bad gas mileage...but thanks for the reminder...i done have gas in my car to get to work tomorrow.

try running seafoam fuel system cleaner, that stuff does wonders.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:38 PM
AML
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I did a 10 mile drive home from work right after filling up my tank. I managed a consistent 45-50mph with few stoplights in between (all the lights were green!) and the trip computer gave me 29mpg when I pulled into my garage.

Although highly inaccurate since you have to take the average for the whole tank, it was nice to see such a high number on the Jag. Especially since I'm used to seeing 38mpg average on my Hybrid. I've found my trip computer reads about 2mpg higher than when I calculate it manually.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

baffourg, adding in gas additives are not bad on the car. It is the "stop leaks" that I have a real problem with (along with a lot of mechanics). You can try a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and see what happens.

Please keep in mind that our cars do not like to travel at low speeds and constant speed changes are hell on the mileage (gotta love the VVT). That is why I am wondering what the mileage is with a constant speed run of say 50 miles or so. If the mileage is down during that run, then there is a problem that needs to be looked at.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:50 AM

how about the rattling sound i hear when i fill up with anything other than v-power like total effimax? how do resolve this cos i don't always get v-power in Ghana

Old 07-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Baffourg, is the MPG you are currently getting a lot lower than it has been in the past? Or has it always been 11 mpg? On your display what is the average miles per hour? If it is low, 20-25 MPH or so, your mpg would certainly be lower, but I wouldn't think it would be 11. What engine do you have, 2.5 or the 3.0? Maual or auto transmission? Any lights on the dash? How many miles on the car? When was the last time the spark plugs were changed? The sound you are hearing might be from gas that is too low of an octane. Not sure how consistent the quality of gas is in Ghana and what kind of detergent properties are in the gas there compared to here in the US. The mileage you are seeing is less thah what it should be if the car is in good mechanical shape.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Just as a frame of reference, Ghana measures fuel in imperial gallons. So for the US forum members to put this in perspective, 11.2 imperial gallons/mile converts to 13.5 US MPG. Still not very good at all but a little better from my perspective for stop and go city driving.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:23 PM

Alfadude, my car is a 2003model 2.5L auto currently with 53K on the clock. there are no lights on the dash. since i got it from california, i have not changed the spark plugs. today i put in some injector cleaner and i will check to see if it helps. infact am not sure of the detergents in the gas so i will probably have to park the car if i don't get v-power...hmm!!!! anyway i hope in an emergency when i fill with anything other than v-power i won't have much problem with the engine

Old 07-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i run v power or mobils premium i average 21.x city

Old 07-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by baffourg
how about the rattling sound i hear when i fill up with anything other than v-power like total effimax? how do resolve this cos i don't always get v-power in Ghana
I think you likely get crappy gas in Ghana. I use regular unleaded, since there is almost a .10 per liter premium for premium. About every 10 tanks I treat her to the good stuff. I always average about 24-28 MPG.

The Shell I get in Canada is 'Nitrogen Enriched' and the Jagon does not like it!

Old 07-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

My '07 3.0 auto is getting 24mpg around town with short highway trips. All highway I clocked 29.4mpg NJ to SC. That's doing 70+mph (where possible) and AC always on. I drive like I have a raw egg under my right foot and use the cruise control. Synthetic Oil and Filter every 5K and Air filter every 20K. Jack

Old 07-04-2011, 03:20 PM

i think there is an improvement in the consumption after putting in the injector cleaner but i will wait till is run the tank almost empty before i celebrate, nonetheless i think i stay in traffic more than i actually drive the car so am no surprised at the bad milage that am getting. Today i decided to fire the engine up (80mph+) after filling up with regular unleaded and amazingly i don't hear the rattling sound anymore from the engine

Old 07-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

..... how do i improve my fuel economy?
Buy a Hyundai?

Old 07-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

i think there is an improvement in the consumption after putting in the injector cleaner but i will wait till is run the tank almost empty before i celebrate, nonetheless i think i stay in traffic more than i actually drive the car so am no surprised at the bad milage that am getting. Today i decided to fire the engine up (80mph+) after filling up with regular unleaded and amazingly i don't hear the rattling sound anymore from the engine
I have yet to hear detonation or pinging. Likely you are using bad gas.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:36 PM

prejag thats not cool

Old 07-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

prejag thats not cool
I think that's why he's called prejag, no jag yet

Quick Reply: this is bad for my pocket