Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad noise cold start

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bad noise cold start

Hello all,

It's 0 degrees I tried to start my car and it made a loud noise like I never heard before. I've read about oil being cold and it loses it's viscosity. Will my car get messed up if I leave it run? It's like a loud winding/grinding noise, I'm going to get an oil heater I think. Will that help?

Old 12-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Received 136 Likes on 79 Posts

Does it quiet as it warms up? Power steering would be my guess from your description - move the steering wheel back and forth a bit and see if the noise changes. All 3 of my vehicles do that to some extent in bitter cold, but they all stop as they warm up. Surprisingly, the Jag is not the worst, my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee is!

BTW, if my suspicion is correct, does anyone know if there's a fix for it? Fluid flush/change, maybe an additive of some kind?

Old 12-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Is it a loud high pitched squealing noise that goes away as the car warms up and do you not hear it when the temperature is warmer like around freezing? If so, probably a belt or pulley that is getting worn. Not serious, but something to address at some point soon.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:22 PM

Well I know it goes away after it warms up but this time it sounded a lot worse kinda like grinding /whining noise from the engine and yeah usually it'll go away after it warms up, but this time it sounded much worse

Old 12-24-2013, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Is it a loud high pitched squealing noise that goes away as the car warms up and do you not hear it when the temperature is warmer like around freezing? If so, probably a belt or pulley that is getting worn. Not serious, but something to address at some point soon.
It was more on the grinding side it sounded so bad I turned my car off

Old 12-24-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
It does it once it's really really cold id say like 10 degrees and under. Usually after sitting all night.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:02 PM

Ok I am pretty sure it was the power steering, i did move it back and forth and it did make some bad noses, any suggestions as to how to fix that from happening

Old 12-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Noxparadise
Ok I am pretty sure it was the power steering, i did move it back and forth and it did make some bad noses, any suggestions as to how to fix that from happening
Did you check the PS fluid level????

Old 12-24-2013, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tony_H
Did you check the PS fluid level????
Where's that at, I know I checked the brake fluid

Old 12-25-2013, 01:26 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You should be fine, was -8 degrees here a few weeks ago with a high of 5 degrees. Snow and the car was a little hard to start. Sounded louder and the automatic shifter was harder to put in gear due to the cold making the fluids thick. Car will warm up and be fine. Also, if you have snow and ice caked up like I did on the car it will make noise as well. Belts are the same way when cold. No worries unless you get a battery light.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:19 AM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Cold weather operation is a perfect time for quality synthetic fluids with very low pour points.

Mobil 1 ATF is an excellent choice for power steering pumps in cold weather. As is Amsoil LV (fuel efficient) ATF (as it's even thinner) and has a pour point of -53C.

Engine oil should be a light, quality synthetic in cold weather ops. Can't go wrong with 0W-30 Mobil 1 or similar. They are fantastic oils that will protect under all conditions and have a pour point as low as -50C.

Don't know what happened to your car, but it's clear there is a problem.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by cujet
Cold weather operation is a perfect time for quality synthetic fluids with very low pour points. Mobil 1 ATF is an excellent choice for power steering pumps in cold weather. As is Amsoil LV (fuel efficient) ATF (as it's even thinner) and has a pour point of -53C. Engine oil should be a light, quality synthetic in cold weather ops. Can't go wrong with 0W-30 Mobil 1 or similar. They are fantastic oils that will protect under all conditions and have a pour point as low as -50C. Don't know what happened to your car, but it's clear there is a problem.
I wonder if it's my oil, I have regular 5w-30

Ill try the power steering fluid but never changed/checked it, where is that located?

Old 12-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Noxparadise
I wonder if it's my oil, I have regular 5w-30

Ill try the power steering fluid but never changed/checked it, where is that located?
If you don't know where your PS reservoir is and you can't be bothered to look in your manual, you should take your car to an expensive mechanic.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tony_H
If you don't know where your PS reservoir is and you can't be bothered to look in your manual, you should take your car to an expensive mechanic.
Didn't think to check there as a point of reference didn't think they'd have it in there otherwise I would of checked first. I have no problem checking into it just didn't know where to look that's why I came on here for. But now that you mentioned I'll for sure check.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

The power steering reservoir is just behind the windshield reservoir. On the passenger side of the engine compartment. You can simply suck out the old fluid and pour in new fluid. The LV fluid is a good choice for very cold weather.

Change it a couple of times driving it between changes. This ensures that you get a full change.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by cujet
The power steering reservoir is just behind the windshield reservoir. On the passenger side of the engine compartment. You can simply suck out the old fluid and pour in new fluid. The LV fluid is a good choice for very cold weather. Change it a couple of times driving it between changes. This ensures that you get a full change.
Thanks I was able to find it. What would you use to suck it out? I was going to ask how that will work adding/replacing . So I can suck out what I see in that reservoir and just refill to the mid-line of the stick?

Old 12-28-2013, 05:16 PM

Anyone know where to get the ATF Mobil 1 power steering fluid I called everywhere..is it just online?

Old 12-28-2013, 06:59 PM

How is valvolone max life power steering fluid? Seems decent good pour point

Old 12-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

If it is a wine/grinding sound it more than likely the PS pump telling you it's low.I would have it flushed or do it your self and you will hear a big difference. when PS fluid get dirty from little particles of debre from the seals in the rack & moisture it's normal but if it's dark colored it's dirSty. PS is clear when it is new.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by billbjork
If it is a wine/grinding sound it more than likely the PS pump telling you it's low.I would have it flushed or do it your self and you will hear a big difference. when PS fluid get dirty from little particles of debre from the seals in the rack & moisture it's normal but if it's dark colored it's dirSty. PS is clear when it is new.
Cool thanks I plan on topping off and sucking out refilling. Just wanted to make sure valvoline max life has correct specs for jaguar.

Quick Reply: Bad noise cold start