Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery, Alternator, ECM

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 08:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery, Alternator, ECM

Morning,
Here again. Its been a while since I've been underneath the hood of my car due to the flood and dealing with its aftermath.

Since my car was exposed to water/rain it will not crank. I connected the battery, put the key in the ignition, and tried to crank the car up but when I did all the lights in the car and dash board went completely out. I all I hear is a click sound and lights out.

Took the battery to AutoZone to charge. Got it the next morning it charge but quickly was losing juice. So I know I need a new battery and possible cables.

Is my issue battery related, alternator bad, or water in ECM/TCM??

How easy is it to remove the ECM?? I thinking I should remove it and clean it.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

How deep did the water get. You may have to pull all the plugs, and spin the engine over, to see if there is water in the cylinders, and blow them out. Change ALL the fluids-gas, oil transfercase, trans, and rear end. The starter may work, if you pull the plugs out. They will usually take a lot of abuse. I would change the oil, pull the plugs, and get things spinning, before spending any serious money.....Mike

Old 10-22-2015, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Did you mean your car itself was flooded or did you mean you just have been dealing with the effects of the recent torrential rains in your area?

If it was the former, Like Mr. Plow said, there could be a million and one things that could be wrong and if the car itself was underwater a good bit, there is a good chance the car could be a total loss.

If you meant the latter, I would think chances are you might just need a new battery. Buy a new one and start there and then see what you have.