X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery replacement

Old 04-20-2017, 08:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery replacement

Had some work done on the 2005 x-type. New oil pan, new gasket, new thermostat, and the replaced the battery. Two months later the battery light comes on, two days after that, before I can get it back to the shop, I hear a loud "POP' and I get scared. I park it at the job site and try to crank it. Nothing happens. Dash lights come on but the windows will not roll up. I will take a jump off and I plan to get it to the shop on this Saturday. Question is this. They placed a 790CCA battery instead of the recommended 700CCA battery in the car. Did they just kill my alternator by doing this?

I don't mind paying for a new alternator, but not if they killed it by placing the wrong size battery in it which they charged me for. Feeling upset, but I don't want to be the angry guy who doesn't know that the battery size didn't matter. Help please. Thank you.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The CCA, cold cranking amps, won't effect the alternator. Before you condemn the alternator make sure the cable connectors and terminals are clean, bright and tight. Corroded connections have caused the signal for alternator not charging to come on.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:55 AM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Mine is 1150 CCA with 220 Ah so probably not the battery in yours

Old 04-22-2017, 04:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks

Thanks guys. Everything looks good. I'll have it checked out. Hit you back with a report later.