Sponsored by:

Best X Type Struts

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Best X Type Struts

Hey guys,

So I installed H&R sport springs about 8 or so months ago and I've noticed that my rear struts have become more and more bouncy over time.

I'm pretty sure at this point they are blown, so I need new one.

I still want to run my H&R springs so I want the best shock I can get that wont blow out like my stock ones did.

How are the bilstein heavy duty shocks?

Thanks

Old 10-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,841 Likes on 3,158 Posts

JaggyX, when looking at shocks, make sure to tell them that you need to sport edition shocks, not the standard X-Type shocks. The Sport Edition shocks are just a fraction of an inch shorter to accommodate the dropped springs included with the sport model. They should also be a little bit firmer than the factory shocks you had.

As for what brand is better, can't speak for that. If Bilstien sells shocks for our X's, I would go with them. I know the guys in my truck club that are using them love them. Sure, they cost a little bit more, but they also perform like they cost.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the help thermo, so I found "comfort shocks" by bilstein that are for the sport suspension x type. Do you think that will be enough to withstand the h and r springs? I'm saying this because I think the drop on h and r is lower than the sport x type drop?

Old 10-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
Thanks for the help thermo, so I found "comfort shocks" by bilstein that are for the sport suspension x type. Do you think that will be enough to withstand the h and r springs? I'm saying this because I think the drop on h and r is lower than the sport x type drop?

The "comfort" style I believe is the "standard".You want the "sport" like he already said. Its really hard to find out how far its been dropped truely and what shock accommodates it.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

Right, but there are two comfort shocks. One that its for standard springs and one for the sport edition x type which is lower than the standard. That's the shock I'm talking about, the sport.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:54 PM

Hmmmm wonder why they would put a comfort on a sport? Not doubting you but i just bought a pair for my sport, "sport" shocks, and didnt see what your talking about. I wouldnt mind getting a comfort shock for my sport x-type just for a more comfy ride. But i bought bilstien too.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

Well what shocks did you buy that are sport?

Old 10-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,841 Likes on 3,158 Posts

JaggyX, as I recall, the H&R springs and the Jaguar Sport edition spring both drop the car 1.4". So, going with the Sport Edition shocks will be the correct choice.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:18 AM
Veteran Member

hopefully they don't blow out again!

Old 10-03-2010, 02:35 PM

I bought my Sport shocks from drivewire.com and it just stated it was for the sport model. They also carry the comfort ones also. Both are Bilstien.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

alright thanks, what springs do you have in your car? OEM or aftermarket?

Old 10-04-2010, 04:54 PM

My springs are the stock sport ones.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

hmm well I'm a little hesitant to buy those then. My car is lower than the sport model as you can see in my signature picture. My only option really is to buy those and see what happen. Is there any way I can make those bilstein stiffer or install aftermarket bump stops so they don't blow out the new shocks?

Old 10-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Get the Bilstein HD shocks for sport suspension. They make three shocks for our cars...

Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What if u don't have the sport model? What are the best Shocks for the regular model 3.0 AWD xtype?

Old 10-12-2010, 01:06 PM

So I called a shop n they asked me if I have the sport suspension or electronic suspension... How the hell do I know?

Old 10-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JagXType620
So I called a shop n they asked me if I have the sport suspension or electronic suspension... How the hell do I know?
I can tell just by looking at your car it is not a Sport model.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:02 PM

I really don't think I'm in need for new shocks. My car doesn't jump and down when I'm driving... I'm experiencing more of a front end "knock" and "squeek"... Thinking more around bushings and control arms more than shocks... It what tire kingdom told me but their speciality is tires not suspension... I've had my control arms, bushings n sway bars replaced by jag over a year ago under warranty but I still experienced the noise just not as bad and like all dealerships claim they tried to pass it off as normal... Maybe they are going bad again?

One shop told me test my shocks by pushing down on the end of my car n if I bounces back a few times than it's my shocks but I did that m when I let go it does one full bounce... Doesn't keep bouncing... As I stated above I'm experiencing more front en knocks n squeeks and not seeing the car bouncing around up n down on the road...

Old 10-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chknhwk
Get the Bilstein HD shocks for sport suspension. They make three shocks for our cars...
I saw those but the oem bilstein shocks were more expensive so I assumed they were better, silly me.

But your saying the HD bilstein shocks are better?

Old 10-12-2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by JagXType620
I really don't think I'm in need for new shocks. My car doesn't jump and down when I'm driving... I'm experiencing more of a front end "knock" and "squeek"... Thinking more around bushings and control arms more than shocks... It what tire kingdom told me but their speciality is tires not suspension... I've had my control arms, bushings n sway bars replaced by jag over a year ago under warranty but I still experienced the noise just not as bad and like all dealerships claim they tried to pass it off as normal... Maybe they are going bad again?

One shop told me test my shocks by pushing down on the end of my car n if I bounces back a few times than it's my shocks but I did that m when I let go it does one full bounce... Doesn't keep bouncing... As I stated above I'm experiencing more front en knocks n squeeks and not seeing the car bouncing around up n down on the road...

Knocks and squeekes are usually ball joints and tie rods. But if you have had them changed recently, the arms come with new ball joints. Tie rod ends also cause play and some noise too. What you could do is, jack up the car on one side and grab the wheel at the 9 and 3 o'clock position and try to wiggle the wheel side to side ( right arm in, left arm out type motion ). If you have any movement its the tie rods. You can then while the car is lifted and hopefully supported take a somehwhat long pry bar or some sort and put it under the tire and lift it up and down and see if there is any play in the ball joints. EVERYTHING should be TIGHT. If thats all good...turn the radio up louder. LOL

Last edited by I <3 X-Type; 10-12-2010 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Best X Type Struts