X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bio diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 02:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bio diesel

Hi anyone using or tryed biodiesel in a X type jag. If so whatv was like?
Thanks...Tony

Old 07-20-2012, 06:53 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

tonys, you need to be careful if the X-TYpe has a DPF filter on it. Those filters do not like biofuel of any kind. This can lead to more problems than I care to admit to. Since I am in the US, we don't have the diesel X_TYpes, so, I am not completely familiar with that variation, but I do work on full size diesel trucks and have some experience with them.

As for biodiesel, the friends of mine that have used it in their trucks, they can not tell any difference. Maybe a little more soot, but that is about it. I have one friend running JP5 (yes, airplane fuel) in his diesel truck. Now, he sees a nice improvement. The big thing with biodiesel is keeping the exhaust temps up so you burn all the carbon out of the system.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
tonys, you need to be careful if the X-TYpe has a DPF filter on it. Those filters do not like biofuel of any kind. This can lead to more problems than I care to admit to. Since I am in the US, we don't have the diesel X_TYpes, so, I am not completely familiar with that variation, but I do work on full size diesel trucks and have some experience with them.

As for biodiesel, the friends of mine that have used it in their trucks, they can not tell any difference. Maybe a little more soot, but that is about it. I have one friend running JP5 (yes, airplane fuel) in his diesel truck. Now, he sees a nice improvement. The big thing with biodiesel is keeping the exhaust temps up so you burn all the carbon out of the system.
HI,
Interesting news about bio fuel in diesels, I have an 2005 x type 2.0 D and the book says never use bio diesel !! Without wishing to look stupid, what is a DPF filter ?

Pity because my last car ran beautifully on bio diesel and I was able to get it for free.
Happy days.
Wulfrun

Old 07-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wulfrun
HI,
Interesting news about bio fuel in diesels, I have an 2005 x type 2.0 D and the book says never use bio diesel !! Without wishing to look stupid, what is a DPF filter ?

Pity because my last car ran beautifully on bio diesel and I was able to get it for free.
Happy days.
Wulfrun
Diesel Particulate Filter

Old 07-21-2012, 05:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many thanks for the replys not too botherd about using bio in the jag as it does over 40 to the gallon around town and I can get over 60 to the gallon combined on normal diesel. I am mainly going to use it for my Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi which also runs on new veg oil but I was just wondering about the jag. I will check regarding the DPF filter and if I do try it in the jag i will post the outcome on here...Regards...Tony

Old 07-21-2012, 06:36 AM
Veteran member

wulfrun, think of the DPF filter as a catalytic converter for a gas engine. that is the simple of it. But the DPF filter does one more thing in that it collects the soot that is generated as part of running a diesel engine. As you can imagine, you get too much soot, the thing plugs up and can lead to other issues. A DPF filter is designed to clean itself by running raw fuel into it and it then starts getting extremely hot (in the neighborhood of 1300F as I recall. What this does is then take the gritty carbon soot, burns it again and converts it to a gaseous substance to be discharged into the environment. In the case of biodiesel, so much soot is created that the motor has to almost run continuously in the cleaning mood, leading to very poor mileage and the temperatures associated with it can be harmful to the DPF filter itself.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:00 AM

Yoiks!
Thats shed some light on it! Thanks Thermo.
No wonder Jaguar say not under any circumstances!
Is that why some owners buy cheap blanking plates with a small hole in it to cut off the supply to get rid of excessive Soot from the exhaust?
Cheers!
Wulfrunsaid thermo man

Old 07-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Veteran member

wulfrun, I think you are mixing 2 different mods here. The blanking plate more than likely is the infamous "EGR Delete" mode. EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirc. In short, to improve emissions, some of the exhaust is introduced into the intake and burnt a second time. Obviously, doing this: 1) heats up the air and therefore makes is less dense, therefore has less oxygen in it, and 2) because it is burnt fuel already, it is actually displacing oxygen, therefore can not burn as much fuel.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:32 AM

Thanks again,
My experience is with earlier diesel technology where-bye we could take liberties with the fuel etc.
Now with sophisticated add on's we all have to learn so much more, and a new vocabulary.
Sun is shining at last, I think I will go and do some gardening.