X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bogging type of problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bogging type of problem

In my 2004 Jaguar X-Type, whenever it is cold outside and when you try to go over 3k rpms, it stops at 3k and starts to bog like someone is driving manual for the first time. Whenever it is warm outside this issue never happens. Does anyone know a fix to this?

Old 05-21-2017, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

My first suggestion is to have the codes read. Most auto parts stores and a lot of repair shops offer the service for free if you don't have an OBD scanner.

My initial thought is that since it is temperature related I would look at the engine coolant temperature and the engine fuel temperature sensor. Either one may be sending erroneous information to the ECM Module.

Once you have checked for set or pending codes get back to us with the numbers. They are more important than what the code reader says they might be.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
My first suggestion is to have the codes read. Most auto parts stores and a lot of repair shops offer the service for free if you don't have an OBD scanner.

My initial thought is that since it is temperature related I would look at the engine coolant temperature and the engine fuel temperature sensor. Either one may be sending erroneous information to the ECM Module.

Once you have checked for set or pending codes get back to us with the numbers. They are more important than what the code reader says they might be.
Sure thing brother. I will post the codes and everything tomorrow.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:04 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi is this bogging down when the engine is also cold or just when the ambient temp is.
i.e. cold outside but warm engine does this show the bogging down?

Old 05-22-2017, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by DUNKS
Hi is this bogging down when the engine is also cold or just when the ambient temp is.
i.e. cold outside but warm engine does this show the bogging down?
This bogging type of issue happens even if the engine is fully warmed up.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Seeing as it is intermittent my guess is that it is a vacuum leak. When you get the codes read you might get P0171 and P0174. If so, the most logical places to start would be the brake booster check valve hose, the IMT o-rings and the PCV hose. All three are simple inexpensive fixes you can do yourself. Probably less than $100 in parts and a total time of less than 15 minutes to fix. Do a search on here and you will see a lot written about them.

Could also be a couple of other things as well, like the intake manifold seals, MAF, etc. . See what the codes are and post here. Someone should be able to point you in the right direction.

How long have you had this issue and is it happening more frequently?

Old 05-22-2017, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Seeing as it is intermittent my guess is that it is a vacuum leak. When you get the codes read you might get P0171 and P0174. If so, the most logical places to start would be the brake booster check valve hose, the IMT o-rings and the PCV hose. All three are simple inexpensive fixes you can do yourself. Probably less than $100 in parts and a total time of less than 15 minutes to fix. Do a search on here and you will see a lot written about them.

Could also be a couple of other things as well, like the intake manifold seals, MAF, etc. . See what the codes are and post here. Someone should be able to point you in the right direction.

How long have you had this issue and is it happening more frequently?
This issue has been happening for years now. My dad and I have been trying to figure out the problem ever since 2011-2012 when it started to happen. I will post the codes later today when i am out of school.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

This has been happening for 6 YEARS? I have to ask, why have you decided to address the issue now after all this time?

Do you just get the check engine and then after a period of time it would go out on its own or did you ever get a flashing light as well?

The situation you have described is called Limp Mode. The RPMs are restricted at 3K to protect the engine.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:03 AM

This has been happening for 6 YEARS? I have to ask, why have you decided to address the issue now after all this time?

Do you just get the check engine and then after a period of time it would go out on its own or did you ever get a flashing light as well?

The situation you have described is called Limp Mode. The RPMs are restricted at 3K to protect the engine.
My dad gave me the car in the summer last year and I never noticed the problem until winter time. My dad and I never really looked into it before until he actually gave me the car. When its warm outside i can fully rev the motor no problem but when the cold comes around the "limp mode" comes back.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:31 PM

The codes that have been read on my car are
P0171
P0174
P0306
P1316
P1111

Old 05-22-2017, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

Check those three areas I mentioned earlier or maybe just replace them as they are very cheap and very easy to do. You also might want to check the accordion hose between the MAF sensor and the throttle body to make sure it is tight. Check to see if you hear a hissing or sucking sound coming from somewhere in the engine bay that would signal a vacuum leak or maybe smoke a cigar or light an incense stick and go around the engine seeing if the smoke gets sucked in anywhere.

The P0306 code is a misfire in cylinder 6. Don't remember if the even number bank is towards the front of the car or towards the windshield. You could easily find that info on here with a little searching or someone might chime in. The P1316 is just a misfire and would be accompanied by another code specifying where the misfire is. Might be a plug going bad as possibly there is a leak in the gasket there and some oil is starting to seep in. If you haven't changed the plugs in a long time it might be the time to do that and also change the intake manifold gaskets.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:38 PM

Check those three areas I mentioned earlier or maybe just replace them as they are very cheap and very easy to do. You also might want to check the accordion hose between the MAF sensor and the throttle body to make sure it is tight. Check to see if you hear a hissing or sucking sound coming from somewhere in the engine bay that would signal a vacuum leak or maybe smoke a cigar or light an incense stick and go around the engine seeing if the smoke gets sucked in anywhere.

The P0306 code is a misfire in cylinder 6. Don't remember if the even number bank is towards the front of the car or towards the windshield. You could easily find that info on here with a little searching or someone might chime in. The P1316 is just a misfire and would be accompanied by another code specifying where the misfire is. Might be a plug going bad as possibly there is a leak in the gasket there and some oil is starting to seep in. If you haven't changed the plugs in a long time it might be the time to do that and also change the intake manifold gaskets.
Thank you so much brother. My car also burns a very small amount of oil and every once in a while I have to out more oil in. I believe I did here a hissing type of noise right on the intake manifold where there is the 2 black circle type of things that are on the left of the intake manifold.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

That would be the IMT o-rings. They cost about $10-$15. Easy to replace. Search on here how to do it. Only takes about 5-10 minutes.