Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake advice wanted please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake advice wanted please.

Hi all.

I changed the front pads and discs on my car about 15 months ago. The past few weeks I have been hearing a squeaking/squealing sound so I thought that may be the rears needed to be done, as I already have the discs and pads yesterday I took the opportunity to change them, but no sooner had I got the car up on the stands the dark clouds rolled in, however I did get to see that there was still about 6,000 miles left on the pads and although there was a little surface rust the discs were not that bad. No sooner had I got the car on the ground the rain came down so I did not get the front wheels off to look at the fronts, but I have only done about 4,000 since they were renewed. I know I need to look at them but I wondered if anyone else has had problems with pattern parts before - got them from Eurocarparts.

I know that going back to when they first stopped using asbestos in pads they use to squeal into they had "bedded in", but that was some time ago now and they were fine until recently.
I also had them lock up under "normal braking conditions" with the family in the car at 30mph.

So I am seriously considering replacing them again but this time I am thinking of using Black Diamond Combi Front Brake Discs and EBC Coloured pads anyone used these before?
I have just bought new 16 inch wheels so the ST 225 brake route is not viable as minimum is 17 inch.
I am also considering the Goodridge brake lines, thoughts on these too please.
I use the car daily for my family so I need confidence in my brakes and comfort rather than sporty in my "set up".

One last thing is the calipers, I will replace them too, advice on good ones would be very helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to reading some expert advice.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

For a your 2.0 X Type for normal "family" use the standard set-up should be more than adequate. Concentrate on getting the standard brakes 100%. Black Diamond and EBC would be a waste of money for you.

I would guess that last time you went with the Euro Car Parts Eicher budget stuff? I would recommend the Pagid range that they sell. They are top quality. I have fitted them to around 15 cars and never had a problem.

Goodridge lines may have some minor benefit, but again unless you have a specific problem with the current hoses then I would leave them alone. Same with Calipers - they usually either work or they don't.

Just check that the piston moves freely when you push it back and that the rubber boot is in good condition. Clean and grease the guide pins and bore (I use silcon grease). Clean everything with Brake Cleaner when reassembling and make sure the caliper/carrier/pad touch points are rust free and add just a smear of copper grease at those points. With all that, brakes should be top notch.

The following users liked this post:
X-type_Sean (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 06:42 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I too have used Pagid and like them. Fitted a year ago and no problems.

X-type_Sean (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by alan924
I too have used Pagid and like them. Fitted a year ago and no problems.
I recently replaced my rear pads with advance auto pads... They were a very poor fit in the caliper and caused a loud squeel/sqeak when turning left corners.
Just replaced them again with brakemotive premium ceramic pads with rubber shims ($28.23) and the squeek has gone!
Note to all... If your new pad needs to be almost hammered into the caliper... Buy a different brand ;@)
These premium pads on ebay were cheaper than the awful advance pads

Last edited by iownme; 12-05-2015 at 06:57 AM.
X-type_Sean (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 02:49 PM

Hi all and thanks for your comments!

Brendan (b1mcp) - I do not know the brand but I do not usually go for the cheapest, I often pick a mid range. I had a look at the front ones today and they look fine, but the squealing is getting worse.
As for not going for the pads and discs I thought anything that helps it stop quicker would be good, hence why I was looking at them.
All was good with the front calipers when the discs and pads were changed, they were cleaned up and the moving parts, as you said, were coppersliped.
I am thinking that contacting Eurocarparts about the "issue" will be the next step.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:04 PM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Pads should fit into the caliper snug, not to tight or to loose. Kinda like...well you know...

99% of the time squeaking is caused by vibration. As long as the pads are wearing evenly you can cote them with a high temp "goop". Almost like a high temp paint, but thick. It goes on the back side of the pads to stop them from vibrating. Any parts store will have it.

X-type_Sean (12-12-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 11:39 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

1) Most squealing brakes can be avoided / quieted with compound on the back-side of the pads (+1 to Larry). One example:
Amazon.com: Permatex 80077 Disc Brake Quiet, 9 oz. net Aerosol Can: Automotive Amazon.com: Permatex 80077 Disc Brake Quiet, 9 oz. net Aerosol Can: Automotive

2) To prevent the pads from sticking to the bracket, apply anti-seize compound where the pads contact the bracket. Take care not to get any on surfaces where the pads & rotors contact:
Amazon.com: Permatex 80078 Anti-Seize Lubricant with Brush Top Bottle, 8 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Permatex 80078 Anti-Seize Lubricant with Brush Top Bottle, 8 oz.: Automotive

3) Apply silicone grease on the caliper pins and inside the rubber boots. Don't use petroleum grease - it won't withstand high brake temperatures. Again, take care not to get any on the pads & rotors:
Amazon.com: Napa 7651346 Sil-Glyde Silicone Lubricating Compound Tube, 8 oz: Automotive Amazon.com: Napa 7651346 Sil-Glyde Silicone Lubricating Compound Tube, 8 oz: Automotive

4) Bed-in the new brakes - gradually warm the rotors and pads to evenly coat the rotor surfaces:
Instructions for bedding in your brakes

Old 12-07-2015, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry-Cleveland
Pads should fit into the caliper snug, not to tight or to loose. Kinda like...well you know...

99% of the time squeaking is caused by vibration. As long as the pads are wearing evenly you can cote them with a high temp "goop". Almost like a high temp paint, but thick. It goes on the back side of the pads to stop them from vibrating. Any parts store will have it.
Yeah... Avoid those advance auto pads for sure!
I only left them in as it was the day before a 3000 mile trip and jaguar parts are rare in rural upstate NY ;@)
The only reason i had to replace them was because when i removed them to do a brake lube job (before my trip) the small riveted clips fell off!!
(Those were also advance auto pads)
So got new pads overnighted and found that tight pad problem.. Had to leave so i put up with that squeel for the 4 wks i was away... Avoided turning left.. Lol

Old 12-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by X-type_Sean
Hi all and thanks for your comments!

Brendan (b1mcp) - I do not know the brand but I do not usually go for the cheapest, I often pick a mid range. I had a look at the front ones today and they look fine, but the squealing is getting worse.
As for not going for the pads and discs I thought anything that helps it stop quicker would be good, hence why I was looking at them.
The more expensive race type pads won't make a noticeable difference in stopping during daily driving. Their purpose is to withstand the heat of track driving, so they should last dramatically longer, especially on a track. However, you do not want these as they will also leave a ton of brake dust on your nice shiny rims. Your mid range pads will limit the dust, provide more than ample heat resistance and stopping. Also looking for a name brand you trust will likely result in a better fit as well. Ebay Chinese made knock offs do not fair so well.

X-type_Sean (12-12-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 05:37 PM

Thanks for all your input guys!

I greased the pins and the pads on the back and edge where it fits in the holder bracket when I fitted them. Ordered new pads - brembo - so should not have any further problems when I get a dry day and a few hours to kill I will get them fitted, until then the car is not being used.