X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakemotive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Brakemotive?

I ran across Brakemotive's name in a few threads and I'm wondering if anyone recently has installed them on their X-Type? I realize, performance wise, our cars don't really need the fancy drilled/slotted rotors but has anyone used these brakes and what are your thoughts?

I found a complete set (front/rear, pads and rotors) on a site for what seemed like a reasonable price.

Thanks!

Old 06-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Andahaion, I want to say that is who I bought my brake system through. I got the rotor/pad combination much like what you are probably looking at. 3 years later, all is good and the pads barely look used. I think this setup made the car stop a little better. All I can tell you is that if I stomp on the brakes, anything that is not bolted down to the seats will leave the seats.

If you need any help, let me know. Granted, installing the new rotors and pads is an easy job.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
If you need any help, let me know. Granted, installing the new rotors and pads is an easy job.
Ha, "easy" because I pay the garage to do it. Quite easy I really wouldn't know where to start replacing pads and rotors. I know there's a thread on here on how to DIY, maybe I'd take a stab at it. More likely I'd try it, get frustrated and just take it in. But, thanks for the reply dude!

Old 06-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Veteran member

Andahaion, why pay a shop to do it. It is really easy. Save yourself the $300 that a shop is going to charge you. When you see how easy it is to do, you are going to laugh.

You say when and we can make it happen.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did my brakes, look at my intro thread for a pic, im pretty sure i bought them from brakemotive as well, and they are drilled and slotted, they stop really good and they were only about 190 for all four disks and all pads

Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by JAGer bomb
I just did my brakes, look at my intro thread for a pic, im pretty sure i bought them from brakemotive as well, and they are drilled and slotted, they stop really good and they were only about 190 for all four disks and all pads
I believe that's the same package I came across online. Good to know. Thanks for the reply and reference to your thread. Appreciate it.

Thermo, if I have a day to burn to head down your way I'll try to work something out. I know we tried to get together before without success. Maybe fortune will smile upon us this time.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Veteran member

Andahaion, you say when. Just keep in mind the first 2 weeks of July I am going to be out of town. When you see what all is involved, you are going to laugh. Trust me. 2 hours and we will be done unless we get talking.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have brake motive on my 05 sport. Has worked fine for 2 years now. I do have loose pads on front for some reason though

Old 06-14-2012, 11:19 AM

Huh, apparently X-Types manufactured after September 2004 are not compatible with that Brakemotive set. I wonder if there was some engineering/mechanical change to the brake system. My car was manufactured after that date, so this is a no-go for me.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:10 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

That sounds strange. I thought when I got mine it was listed as 02-07 models. But I ran into a caliper issue when I did my brake job. There are 2 sizes that fit the rear rotors a small one and a larger one. I had small on it but went with the larger one. I came across this when I ordered my brake pads

Old 06-15-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by gragner66
That sounds strange. I thought when I got mine it was listed as 02-07 models. But I ran into a caliper issue when I did my brake job. There are 2 sizes that fit the rear rotors a small one and a larger one. I had small on it but went with the larger one. I came across this when I ordered my brake pads
Gragner, I contacted the seller and they actually do sell a set for post 9/2004 models. I just didn't see it at first. I'm still unclear what the physical difference may be in the brakes before and after that date. But, sounds like you experienced it with your caliper issue. At least folks interested in this set in the future now know it is available to models manufactured after 9/2004.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:26 AM

I have installed this set on my X and it really is super simple to do. I am very happy with this setup and even suggested Brakemotive to a friend and he also bought a set for his 240sx and is equally happy.

The following users liked this post:
Andahaion (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the info, I was actually looking to get the exact same set but wasn't sure about the reliability.I'm definitely buying these now. Have the rotors rusted at all? Thats another thing I as worried about since these drilled and slotted rotors are mostly for looks...thanks again

Old 06-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Veteran member

Emanx2.5, if you don't drive the car for a few days, the rotors will develop a rust stain on them. But, after a stop or two, the rust is gone. I do not worry about it. Get them, you will not be disappointed.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:29 PM

Hi,

Don't anything about the Brakemotive brakes but I did purchase and install drilled and slotted set from Powerstop and they are great. Car stops very quickly, in fact a few times I was very worried about being slammed from behind due to the car behinf me not being able to stop as quiuck!

Like Thermo has said, super easy job.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought the D/S set with ceramic pads from Brakemotive (Ebay). They warped like crazy. I'm in the process of dumping them for EBCs.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Based on this thread I bought a set of the cross drilled and slotted rotors and the four ceramic pads and I have to say after having them on the car for a week now I am totally satisfied. They seemed to be made well, they look great on the car and they bite much better than the original rotors. Part of that could be the old ones probably needed to be replaced anyway as my car has 111,000 miles. For $183 for the whole works that is really cheap, plus the shipping was free and I received them in one day. The two boxes weighed 63 pounds so the ground shipping alone would probably be at least $50. Maybe I will be singing a different tune a year from now, but right now I am totally satisfied. Even the mechanic that does all the work on my car was impressed with them.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Based on this thread I bought a set of the cross drilled and slotted rotors and the four ceramic pads and I have to say after having them on the car for a week now I am totally satisfied. They seemed to be made well, they look great on the car and they bite much better than the original rotors. Part of that could be the old ones probably needed to be replaced anyway as my car has 111,000 miles. For $183 for the whole works that is really cheap, plus the shipping was free and I received them in one day. The two boxes weighed 63 pounds so the ground shipping alone would probably be at least $50. Maybe I will be singing a different tune a year from now, but right now I am totally satisfied. Even the mechanic that does all the work on my car was impressed with them.
Thanks Alfadude! Hope they continue to work out. I also ordered a set, haven't received them yet but looking forward to installing them.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:03 PM

New brakes arrived! Initial impression is that they seem to be of high quality. Looking forward to the installation.

Thermo, I'd like to take you up on your offer to help me get these installed. PM me with some dates. No rush, my current brakes have plenty of life left. August is recess time for us politicos up here, so this month is wide open for me.

Attached Thumbnails Brakemotive?-brakemotive.jpg  
Old 08-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Veteran member

Andahaion, any weekend day this month is good for me. I do not have anything really planned at the moment. The first full weekend in September though is shot. I'm heading out to Phoenix for some training. Let me know when

Quick Reply: Brakemotive?